Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #1

2017 Precept 35S issues and disappointment

So I have had my Precept 35s for about 4 months now. Have used it a bit locally to work out the bugs. Dealer had it for 3 weeks to fix a few things before a long trip. Some they got done. The rest, was not easy and involved missing a trip we couldn't.

Issue list:

1. Radio does not work right, was not the advertised radio with the advertised features. Has a JBL CP100 which is not actually available. (Being replaced with proper Pioneer)

2. Rear view camera does not function most times. Sometimes it works, but hit a bump and it is out. Side views function fine. Most of the time it has a blue, green, ot no screen. (No solution)

3. One speaker doesn't work, no wiring problems. (New speaker ordered)

4. Wiper do not wipe windshield. Skip 1/2 of it. Hit lower trim and pull it out of windshield and scratch the paint below. (Have adjusted and still do it after a while)

5. Couch/Dinette slide rubbing floor going in and out, has lifted and damaged floor. Dinette adjusted to stop rubbing. Worked good two times in and out. Need floor replaced but, Jayco denied until there is a hole.

6. Multiple exterior storage doors rubbing when closed removing paint from door and body. Dealer adjusted doors, Jayco didn't want to repair paint.

7. Headlights vibrate badly driving down the road. This is a build issue. There is no support to hold the housings from moving around.

8. Headlights not properly aimed, and cannot be properly aimed due to design.

9. Passenger side headlight fell out going down road. Factory used to large of nuts on that side. They didn't actually hold the light to the body. Repaired enough to get be on the road side by borrowing nuts from the other side and replaced the rest after I got to where I was going.

10. Water intrusion from somewhere on the passenger side dash/window area. Water damage to wall, mold on front wall and carpet under dash. (no solution)

11. Major water leakage around bed slide. Floors get soaked during any amount of rain. (no solution)

12. Driving is near impossible over 50 MPH, or with any wind. Had alignment done out of my pocket, it was WAY off. Aired tires up to 100 PSI. Both helped some, but this thing is a handful and really not safe over 50 MPH. I just put 3,500 slow miles on it.

13. Paint quality. In general there are runs, missed spots, over spray areas and so on everywhere. It really needs to be completely repainted. (they laughed)

14. Entrance door is either producing a high pitch squeak, or is adjusted so tight you can barely open or close it. (no solution)

15. The dash makes so much rattle/squeak noise you can't hear the radio or person next to you talking. It is TERRIBLE. It is in between the firewall and dash wall. The dealer and Jayco both washed their hands of it and said see the chassis shop. (In Indiana)

16. Door handle keypad doesn't work. (New one ordered)

17. When getting to the third place we camped we only had partial power when plugged in. Full power on generator though. I had to dig and search myself and found a loose connection in the transfer switch from the power cord. It was arcing, too. Could have caused a fire.

18. Broken screws, or missing screws cause the drivers side inner fender section to fall down while driving. Had to stop roadside and find screws to fix it and keep going. On the side of I90, in the middle of the night.

There were a ton of minor issues as well, like all of them have too. The fog light switch was broken, one blinker lens was missing, one slide topper was damaged during delivery or lot time, and so on. There was some of this on the dealer, but most of it is on Jayco and shoddy craftsmanship. I've owned many campers/motor homes over the years. Some good, some bad. But so far, in 4 short months this on takes the cake for being bad.

I fully expect some issues on any new camper. I've never had a motor home be so hard to handle. Never had parts flying off going down the road in the first 2,500 miles. Never had water leakage or damage in the first few years of any unit. Pretty sure I am missing a few things, too. But this is the start of something bad I feel...
dlibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

It is sad that you spend all of that money and this is what you get.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
RWK

That sucks, I will not feel right complaining about mine now. 6 months after purchase we put about 7K into our suspension to make it drive-able.......Ours is a Alante. 12 months in and a few break downs, everything major seems to be working fine. Good luck.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #4

I live in Western Washington and it does in fact rain here. I have had 5 water leaks, one is the living room slide and it's been in 3 times to be fixed and it still leaks. The next step is getting it in so they can replace all the seals. The outside TV compartment was leaking and I fixed that as the dealer misdiagnosed the problem. I've had other issues too Schwintek cable got severed because the cable wasn't routed properly, leveling jacks would not signal they were not down after retracting and I'm getting some blisters forming under the wall covering.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #5

Sorry for all your issues, Did you talk to Jayco directly or just your dealer telling you what Jayco said? I have dealt directly with Jayco Service Center at the factory, they have been nothing short of great to deal with. If you want to message me I can give you my contact person, she is the director of the service center.

I had a leak in my living room slide, that was repaired a year ago, all is well with it. Where your rear inside dullies inflated to 100psi cold also? I had to get Valve Stem Extenders on mine to inflate, I also added a tire pressure monitor system. My Precept 35UN drives like a luxury sedan, I love driving it, even when towing, she drives with no issues at 65mph.

I had several spider cracks around my windshield that where repaired at the paint facility Jayco uses, they did an outstanding job, I do believe they can make your coach look like it should.

It will be definitely be worth your time to talk to Jayco directly.

Good Luck,
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber rear 60 perc.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #6

Your post is a perfect example of why I posted " A Serious Observation on Today's Posts on Overall Coach Build-Quality!" elsewhere in this Forum. No one should have to go through what your list describes. It just goes to show you that someone did not perform a Q/A inspection before your coach left Indiana because surely AT LEAST ONE OR TWO of these issues would have shown itself. And for the price of that FBP!, that's an obvious visually discerned issue, not a hidden one like some others you list. So no excuses on the paint runs, etc. And let's not forget the Dealers responsibility of doing their own "intake inspection" before releasing the rig. Unexcusable failures all around! Best of luck to you, and I echo the sentiment from others encouraging you to call or email Jayco Management directly if you have not already.
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I always dreamed of a Class A when I was younger.
Now that I am retired, I have the money but no desire after reading all the troubles with such an expensive unit.
I'd be in deep trouble if I spent that much money and quality was that shotty.

I'll keep my 2017 Jayflight 24RBS.

Hope you have better luck in the future resolving your issues.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #8

Wow! What a litany of grief.
Item 14. Put some electric or duct tape on the 2 pins in the door latch. You have to renew it occasionally, but it kills the squirrel.

We have a 2016 35S. The initial PDI (pre delivery inspection) was a joke. Jayco missed a bunch of things and so did the dealer. We caught most of them and all seems to be fine now. I have dealt with customer service at Jayco and so far they are excellent. We are about to debark on a 12,000 mile odyssey to Alaska and back. Sure hope I haven't missed anything too serious. Good RVing to all.
anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Wow! What a litany of grief.
Item 14. Put some electric or duct tape on the 2 pins in the door latch. You have to renew it occasionally, but it kills the squirrel.

We have a 2016 35S. The initial PDI (pre delivery inspection) was a joke. Jayco missed a bunch of things and so did the dealer. We caught most of them and all seems to be fine now. I have dealt with customer service at Jayco and so far they are excellent. We are about to debark on a 12,000 mile odyssey to Alaska and back. Sure hope I haven't missed anything too serious. Good RVing to all.
I see you are in Wilmington, is that in NC?
Old 06-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma33 View Post
Sorry for all your issues, Did you talk to Jayco directly or just your dealer telling you what Jayco said? I have dealt directly with Jayco Service Center at the factory, they have been nothing short of great to deal with. If you want to message me I can give you my contact person, she is the director of the service center.

I had a leak in my living room slide, that was repaired a year ago, all is well with it. Where your rear inside dullies inflated to 100psi cold also? I had to get Valve Stem Extenders on mine to inflate, I also added a tire pressure monitor system. My Precept 35UN drives like a luxury sedan, I love driving it, even when towing, she drives with no issues at 65mph.

I had several spider cracks around my windshield that where repaired at the paint facility Jayco uses, they did an outstanding job, I do believe they can make your coach look like it should.

It will be definitely be worth your time to talk to Jayco directly.

Good Luck,
Nick
I haven't involved Jayco quite yet. But I likely will be. Giving the dealer the opportunity first. Problem is I want to know who will cover my payments while it sits? I was told 2-3 months for my list to be handled.

Inside tires are at 100, with extenders and TPMS as well.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlibson View Post
I see you are in Wilmington, is that in NC?
Yes.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Yes.
Nice! I'm just north of you in Hampstead then!
Old 06-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #13

Email me your contact info
Atanchor2@msn.com and we can take it off line.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:49 PM   #14

Same coach and many same probs...

We have this (pic) and several of the other problems that you mentioned. We LOVE this coach, but... WTHeck? We are on day 60 today. I am beginning to assemble the full listing of troubles as even with the two year warranty we were told (by the dealer) that Jayco rejects or frowns on problems reported after 90 days.... I doubt that myself, but I am not going to chance it. We will definitely get in touch with Jayco direct! I would even consider driving out to the factory for the work to be done right.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  
nalasha79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:28 AM   #15

Jayco does not frown on warranty repairs, Your dealer is the issue, Contact Jayco yourself, you will not regret doing it, their customer service is outstanding. I have had nothing but amazing CS experience with Jayco through 18 months of owning my Precept. Their factory service center is fantastic. Message me if you want their contact info.
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber rear 60 perc.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:52 AM   #16

Sad experience

Sounds as if the OP has a Monday morning manufactured coach. Too many obvious problems that the factory should have caught.

My experience has been much better, after 9 months and 4000 miles there have been no catastrophic issues but we have noticed the bed slide will leak when driving in the rain and leak when parked during heavy rain storms. I still can't use the roof mounted King antenna, coax is broken somewhere between the Power Injector and antenna. Kitchen AC only runs on high, no fan on low speed.

I had my headlights fixed at the dealer after our first shakedown trip, no issues now with night driving. My dealer also had the front end aligned before we took possession. 95 psi in my tires and Safety Plus stabilizer gives me a car-like driving experience without our toad. Still wanders a bit with the toad.

Between my dealer (Colerain RV in Cincinnati) and Jayco they have handled all my former issues. I'll be returning it to the dealer in October with a punch list of other issues that have developed this summer.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #17

We have a 2015 precept class a been in shop more than we have used it
Sandybiggs673@gmail.com
Spsland123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:56 PM   #18

Who has been able to get their Girard to work satisfactorily?
Anyone changed out their sofa?
2 biggest unresolved complaints!
Jayco has offered to pay (but haven't received $ yet) to have jacks raised to factory recommended 10" clearance instead of <7" as received.
Still awaiting payment from dealer for alignment.
Fridge not working on LP originally fixed by dealer, then Jayco offered to pay for field repair of same issue and now we have it for a 3rd. time.
Most recently wall next to bath where controls are is bowing.

Wrote Jayco on all of this last week and unanswered but will be calling tomorrow. Relatively small problems up to now and we really love everything about it except the sofa and hot water heater!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #19

Are you sure it's the wall and not just the trim? I have started to warm up to this water heater (pun intended). I read through the manual the other night and they recommend 115f for the temp setting. I find 115f still a little hot, but when I turned it down from Max I'm having a better experience and starting to even consider how cool it might be to have an endless supply of hot water. I am having trouble with my actual water source, but that is not the heater's doing. 20 minute limit to the burner for safety is good/bad, but I think turning off the shower water will reset the timer after a few seconds, 5 maybe. I'm starting to like it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #20

It's the laminate cover and the trim that seems has become "unglued". Still too early to call Jayco but will call them later today and advise.
I had lowered the temp to 104º and it's still not working as desired. We believe after all the reading that it might be pressure related so on the next outing we will change the valves to use the onboard water system and the pump to see if that has some improvement, while only using the hot water valve and perhaps lowering the temperature on the automatic thermostat even more, perhaps to something like 98º. I'll advise.

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote