Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #1

5 star tune

Does anyone have experience and opinions with the 5 star tune installed in a 2016 motor home with a six speed trans? I have a '16 Precept 31ul and the main issue I have is downshifting while climbing (4000 rpm) and the lack of downshifting while descending. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

I have a Precept 35UN and will be getting the 5 star prior to out Yellowstone trip in August of 2017. I have heard good things about it. With that said, I have had absolutely no issues going up or down inclines, Western PA, in the Tow/haul mode, using the cruise control or simply tapping the brake on downhill for the engine brake to kick in. on several occasions the revs were up there climbing some step grades but never an issue coming down, I do believe that the 5 star is supposed to help the engine not rev as much going up steeper grades. All my grades were with car in tow.
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  

nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:56 PM   #3

We just purchased a 31UL at the Hershey show but won't take delivery until November. I currently have the 5 star on my 30 foot class C on a 2012 450 frame. I was wondering if the 5 star would be needed with a 6 speed. Our current is a 5 speed.
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #4

I have the 6 speed and with some searching on 5stars web page watched a video which addresses the down shifting or lack of. It also, according to their research, delivers better horsepower and torque at lower rpm which should lower rpm on the uphill. I think I will give it a try. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider99 View Post
I have the 6 speed and with some searching on 5stars web page watched a video which addresses the down shifting or lack of. It also, according to their research, delivers better horsepower and torque at lower rpm which should lower rpm on the uphill. I think I will give it a try. Thanks to all for the help.
Can somebody explain to me the gist of the 5 star tune? Is it a hardware or a computer fix. What is the approximate cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #6

5star

It's a reprogram. As I understand. It's all explained with prices on their web page.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #7

You may want to consider the Ford factory warranty before making any after-market changes to the vehicle's ECM.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:57 PM   #8

5star

From what I have read the risk is minimal. I have been driving diesels since '86 and this high rpm engine with no exhaust or engine brake has been difficult to transit to. I think this may help me not to walk away from a nice coach. But your warranty concern is something to be aware of....thanks.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:22 AM   #9

In my class c it resolved the high rpm issues. If you ever need Ford service you just reinstall the factory tune. The hand held programmer stores.
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:30 AM   #10
Site Team

For us that don't know what you are talking about, Is this a tuner or what?

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote