Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #1

Traveling and football for Thanksgiving

Well, we are headed out for Thanksgiving and looking forward for a nice relaxing time for Thanksgiving. I have a family tradition where my father and I watch the games together...dont really care who wins just like the the sport. I was trying to figure out how to watch the games. I have a few options, and figure if someone is thinking how... I can give some info.

I have the cell service t mobile which has unlimited steaming to the phone. If I want to set up the phone as a hot spot... I only have 5 gigs of data and the game(s) in HD will probably burn through that quickly. So I needed a way to stream to the phone then project it (mirror) to the TV. I checked the location of the area of my coverage map and I have full coverage of data 4g lte. Obviously if you can get reception with the antenna this post is moot.

First I have direct TV.. So the app will allow me to stream the channels to my phone. If you don't have that app/direct tv... If you pay for cable most companies all you to sign in to the network app (ABC, NBC, etc) to watch the game live. Just call up your company and ask what is your sign in for network apps.

Step 2, I don't have a smart TV in the trailer (if you do you might be able to skip this step) get a roku (had an old one) (or Amazon fire) and put it in the trailer.

Step 3 download a mirror app (screen mirror assistant or screen stream mirror free)

Step 4 make sure you have your WiFi on, run the app and look for your roku. Once the app finds it you can click on it to highlight it, and it will start to mirror what is on your phone.

Step 5, go to your football stream and play it... It should be on your TV.

It will use a lot of battery so plug in your phone to and outlet. This is for Android however, with Apple it is basically the same just need to get an app from the Apple store that streams to the roku.

This is not for all, so people will say "just enjoy the outdoors etc..." I cherish the times I sit with the old man talking about football (like we know what we are talking about) and those are my special moments during thanksgiving. Some may have the same, so this post is for you.

I was an IT for the Navy and have an extensive background in technology... So if you have a specific question on how to get your set up to work just ask and I'll try to respond (like I know what I am talking about)
StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:38 AM   #2

We have a Google Chromecast in our TT. The only problem is it has to connect to the internet to work. As far as using your phone and it's data, we have Verizon and they let you change your plan and then change it back (for example if we know we won't have WiFi on a trip we will increase our data plan for that month but then go back to our old plan afterwards).