Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 05:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
We were comparing half tons to 3/4 ton, regardless of brand. You say the Ford bashing happens EVERY time, but you're the only one that mentions it in this thread. That is odd.

I tow with the 150, have owned a diesel 6.0 250, and still believe the 250 is overall, a better option for a camper in the 30 foot, 10,000 lb range. Let's compare the ideal 250 with the ideal 150 for towing a 10,000 lb trailer. The 250 wins every time. Sorry. We can all justify the choices we've made... I do. One is clearly designed for towing heavier items than the other. It's really a no brainer when you are close to maxing out your truck. I've never owned a RAM and don't intend on ever owning one. This thread isn't about brands, it's about capabilities within classes of trucks. I guess I missed all the 'Ford' bashing you speak of. It certainly isn't in this thread.
The OP asked the question about equipping or options for an F150, go back and read it, it is still there. You have some time on your hands, do a forum search and you will find that every time somebody asks a question about F150's the same Ram fan boys warning about endangering families, neighbours rolling their F150's and cancellation/denial of insurance and having to pay lawsuits out of your own pocket. The same posters do not mention safety when questions are posed about towing within the posted limits of other brands of TV's.

I have also towed tens of thousands of miles with a 2007.5 Duramax but I would not presume to counsel somebody on what they can or cannot safely tow with a 2017 Chevy Duramax and a trailer that I have never towed with it.

The OP asked about options on a F150 to tow the 28BHBE not how much better a the ideal diesel 250 will pull a trailer. Based on your experience towing with the F150 HDPP package you could explain how it is unsafe whereas it would be safe with a 250/2500 ?

2010 Ford F150 XLT 5.4 Maxtow, Coverking Seat Covers, Putco LED interiors, Kenwood DNX571TR GPS, Kicker Powerstage, Weathertech Floor Mats and Window Vents, Line-X, Firestone Airbags, Michelin LTX-MS2, LivewireTS 5 Star tuned, Propride 3P
Old 10-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #32

I get that the OP doesn't WANT a 3/4 ton but I feel that as a person who has gone down that path before it would be wrong to just simply say YES, go buy the F-150 because the paper says it'll work and you don't want a F-250. I'd prefer to state my experience and knowledge on the topic is and then let them decide. Maybe they'll get a F-150 anyway... Maybe it'll make them reconsider the trailer choice??

Can I skin a buffalo with a butter knife?

RViBranke2 w/TPMS
Old 10-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #33

My only comment (because I will be labeled a "Ram Fan Boy," even tho I've owned 2 Fords before my current TV and a Chevy before that), is that "some" people have a tone or seem to talk down to folks when attempting to provide constructive criticism. That's why, in the past, I've stayed out of these conversations and will continue too. Folks just need to re-read things and think how it is being conveyed before you hit send/post.

The OP will get what suits their family best! If a mistake is made, hopefully they can overcome it.
'16 North Point 377BHRL (current and hopefully last)
Old 10-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #34
bap

Funny how many of the Ford F-150 Max Tow people rave how great their truck is, then they post all the upgrades they do to try and make it equivalent to a F-250 in their signature.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
The original poster Erica just asked a simple question.

We would like to purchase a Ford F150. It will become my husband's primary driving vehicle and he would really prefer to not get too crazy with his truck (i.e. he doesn't want to move up into the F250s, diesel, etc.). So...he would basically like to get "as little of truck as possible" that will absolutely safety pull our trailer without problem. Not too little of truck and not too much.

As she stated they DONT want a F250 as an every day driver, she just wants to know if its possible to tow this trailer with a F150 equipped properly. Over the past 24 hours I have laughed at the answers coming in from right and left field, she is probably now more confused. The simple answer to her question is YES, will her family be safe, YES. This is why I do my own research and would never trust a forum to give me the correct answer.
Hello Forum Members!

I have to say while there is a lot of information going in different directions, this has been extremely helpful to me for learning purposes. We are obviously researching this actively on our own (looking at exact numbers, etc.), but hearing about your experiences and opinion helps tremendously.

Sundancer330 is correct, we are currently researching all of the available options and add ons to Ford's F150 to see if it meets the towing requirements of the Jay Flight 28DSBH. I really, really think that this trailer meets every single one of our requirements, but at the same time, we cannot foresee ourselves purchasing an F250 as my husband's primary vehicle. We live in Southern California where parking space is at a minimum--not to mention that he commutes 30 minutes each way 3 days a week. At this time in our lives, we do not wish to purchase "more than we need" in terms of a tow vehicle. Especially if the best equipped F150 meets the tow requirements at the recommended 20% under max values (possibly with the HD Package).

I can foresee that IF the fully equipped F150 is too "risky" or considered maxed out with the 28DSBH weights, then we unfortunately would need to find a smaller or lighter weight trailer. But like I said, this is a strong first choice for us as we haven't found an equivalent trailer that meets all of our wishes and is "lighter".

Thanks again for all of the really helpful advice. Keep it coming!!

Cheers,

Erica
Old 10-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebell619 View Post
Hello Forum Members!

I have to say while there is a lot of information going in different directions, this has been extremely helpful to me for learning purposes. We are obviously researching this actively on our own (looking at exact numbers, etc.), but hearing about your experiences and opinion helps tremendously.

Sundancer330 is correct, we are currently researching all of the available options and add ons to Ford's F150 to see if it meets the towing requirements of the Jay Flight 28DSBH. I really, really think that this trailer meets every single one of our requirements, but at the same time, we cannot foresee ourselves purchasing an F250 as my husband's primary vehicle. We live in Southern California where parking space is at a minimum--not to mention that he commutes 30 minutes each way 3 days a week. At this time in our lives, we do not wish to purchase "more than we need" in terms of a tow vehicle. Especially if the best equipped F150 meets the tow requirements at the recommended 20% under max values (possibly with the HD Package).

I can foresee that IF the fully equipped F150 is too "risky" or considered maxed out with the 28DSBH weights, then we unfortunately would need to find a smaller or lighter weight trailer. But like I said, this is a strong first choice for us as we haven't found an equivalent trailer that meets all of our wishes and is "lighter".

Thanks again for all of the really helpful advice. Keep it coming!!

Cheers,

Erica
I'm a little confused. The title of the thread and your first post was regarding a Jay Flight 28BHBE. Your last post is about a Jay Flight 28DSBH which doesn't exist. There is a White Hawk 28DSBH that is similar to the 28BHBE but the construction between a White Hawk and Jay Flight are completely different.

I'm not going to spend my time digging into number and calculations but the White Hawk line is a light weight line and is better suited for 1/2 ton trucks.

If that is what you are considering then you are likely in a better place with your vehicle choice.
RViBranke2 w/TPMS
Old 10-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #37

The forum also has a duty to call into question artificial constraints that hinder the experience. Yes a 150 can do it..loaded and equiped properly.. that was answered a while back. The thread however has evolved. It happens... I trust any alleged confusion is also artificial at this point.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
I'm a little confused. The title of the thread and your first post was regarding a Jay Flight 28BHBE. Your last post is about a Jay Flight 28DSBH which doesn't exist. There is a White Hawk 28DSBH that is similar to the 28BHBE but the construction between a White Hawk and Jay Flight are completely different.

I'm not going to spend my time digging into number and calculations but the White Hawk line is a light weight line and is better suited for 1/2 ton trucks.

If that is what you are considering then you are likely in a better place with your vehicle choice.

Hello--

No, my original post is correct. It is the Jay Flight 28BHBE! I'm sorry that I just mis-quoted it. I was just in that page on my computer hemming and hawing over whether I would need to consider this line instead of the Jay Flight. I apologize again for confusing the issue

-Erica
Old 10-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #39

Erica,

As has been hashed out in more of a harsher way than is normal here on JOF, the F150 IF properly equipped with the max tow AND heavy duty payload package (or whatever the exact name is) is one of the few 150/1500 trucks capable of possibly towing the 28 BHBE. Understand that the majority of times, it isn't a case of the truck not having enough power to tow the weight, but the payload.

As many have posted, the trucks payload can be one of the limiting factors of a 150/1500 when towing a heavier travel trailer (tt). As some have posted, all occupants (people and animals), cargo (coolers, bikes, firewood, etc) in the truck bed, any accessories added to the truck (truck topper/cap, step bars, push bar, etc), the wdh (weight distribution hitch), AND the tt tw (travel trailer to the (or hitch) weight) all count toward the trucks payload rating.

The hardest part about a post like yours, is everyone packs their trailer different. While all the basics are pretty much the same, when it comes to exactly what is packed, and where, is the hard part. Reason being is obviously the more loaded in the tt, the heavier it will be. And depending on where those items are stored, it can and will make the tw heavier. Which, for a safe, stable tow (regardless of what wdh you buy!) you generally need 12-15% of the total loaded trailer weight to be on the tongue. What this means is if you have a 9000lb loaded tt, if you placed a scale under the coupler (where you hook the tt up to the truck), the tw would be between 1080lbs-1350lbs (12-15% of 9000lbs) as measured by the scale. This does vary from one trailer to the next, but is the general target range. The other thing to keep in mind is the "brochure" dry weights should only be used very lightly!!! And from what I understand, the weight of the propane tanks and a battery on the tongue is not included in the "brochure" dry tongue/hitch weight. That can add ~160lbs for 2-30lb tanks and a battery to the tw, before loading anything else in the trailer. And it seems the average person seems to add ~1000lbs to their tt, some more, some a little less.... For a comparison, our 32 BHDS has a yellow sticker dry weight (as it rolled off the assembly line WITH options) of just under 8000lbs (think the brochure was listed as 7600lbs), weighs ~9200lbs loaded (last time I weighed was 8860lbs) with a tw of 1400lbs the time I weighed it. The "brochure" tw is 920lbs.

A wdh with integrated sway control is highly suggested! The Reese Dual Cam (trunnion bar system), the Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the money. The Reese hitch head (same for both) does offer a little more fine tuning vs the E4, but the Reese SC and the E4 (very similar to each other) are a little easier in setting up. Any of these models is an excellent choice and you won't go wrong with regardless. The Hensley Arrow and the Pro Pride are the best available, but they do come at a premium price, and a slight weight issue. As I understand, they weigh ~200lbs which could cause one to be over the truck's receiver hitch rating if your tt tw is ~1000lbs or more. The receiver hitch is only rated for 1220lbs of tw (w/ a wdh) per the '16 F150 towing guide. I would guess the '17 model will have the same receiver hitch rating. Will being over break or fatigue the hitch, hard to say. Probably not for a while, but there is a rating for a reason.

I know I have been down the same road that others who have posted in this thread have been down. Our last tt had "brochure" dry weights of ~5500lbs with a dry tw of 550lbs I think it was. Loaded, it weighed ~7200lbs with a tw of ~920lbs. Towing with our '10 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab short bed, we were over the trucks gvwr of 7000lbs by about 200lbs. Family weight at the time was about 450-475lbs (growing twin boys!), had added a cab high fiberglass topper (cap) on the truck bed, spray in bed liner, step bars, mud flaps, & WeatherTech mats (think I got everything!). With only ~200lbs in the bed (tool box and 4 bikes), is what are set up was that put us over the gvwr. Yes, the truck only had 1550lbs of payload per the yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb (all vehicles have this, so look for it and confirm the payload before buying!!!). The sticker states "All occupants and cargo not to exceed: XXXXlbs". Just trying to show that weight adds up very quickly!!! And explain why some have been passionate about suggesting a 250/2500. I had this exact conversation with my neighbor who ended up buying the 28 BHBE and tows with a Chevy 1500 Silverado. Their plan is to buy a 2500 when they find the right one at the right price. But for now they pack carefully, and if needed, take two vehicles. I believe a lot of the suggestions for the 250/2500 over the 150 is because it is a little harder to find a 150 with the max tow and heavy duty payload package unless you factory order. And from what some have posted (other threads and/or forums) that a 250 is about the same price (when equipped with the same options) as a 150 with the max tow and payload package (though I have never priced either one!!!).

Hopefully this has helped some!!!

Good luck shopping, and keep us posted what you guys decide!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
The OP asked the question about equipping or options for an F150, go back and read it, it is still there. You have some time on your hands, do a forum search and you will find that every time somebody asks a question about F150's the same Ram fan boys warning about endangering families, neighbours rolling their F150's and cancellation/denial of insurance and having to pay lawsuits out of your own pocket. The same posters do not mention safety when questions are posed about towing within the posted limits of other brands of TV's.

...snip
Dude, Steve, c'mon man. The only "fan boy" on this thread is you. How many of these threads are you going to shut down by demeaning people for simply sharing their experiences and opinions? We get it, you hate Ram, you love Ford, whatever, enough already.

Sure, OP said she was set on a blue oval half ton, and that question has been answered. Yes, it is possible to equip an F-150 to tow a 28BHBE. YOU ARE RIGHT!! Okay?

But the rest of us are not wrong when we say a 3/4 ton should not be discarded out of hand as a potential option. OP is not the only person reading this thread grappling with the same decision.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Closed Thread