Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2017, 02:11 AM   #1

Snow chain recommendations / advice - winter storm towing

So I have never in my life had to use chains. Always had a 4x4. We have a trip planed this Thursday heading out from Reno, NV over the pass West and it appears we may have to deal with some snow, really hoping the forecast changes.

The way I understand it, the proper method is chains on one axle of my 5th wheel, in addition to the rear axle on my truck.

What kind of chains provide the best traction? Cables, chains, etc....

For those that have had to chain up a 5th wheel/TT, how was it? is the traction, and braking pretty decent and safe if taking it slow and cautious? Or is a recipe for disaster? I have no problem driving at a snails pace over the pass to ensure our safety.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:52 AM   #2

Snow Chains??? I would be heading the other way!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #3

I prefer the cables, we used them on the smaller plow/salt trucks when I was still working. Easy to install for short term use and they do work.

As to the FW never had to do that.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #4

IMHO, change your trip plans if the forecast doesn't change to your liking.

The weather increases the chances of changing a pleasure trip to a winter survival situation. Remember, too, that you won't be the only one on the road. No matter how prepared and safely you drive, there will be crazies out there.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #5

Chains will give you the best traction over the cables.

Putting chains on the rear axle of your truck gives you stability on that axle, chains on your trailer help to keep the trailer behind you and helps to prevent lateral movement, both will help with braking.

If you put chains on you front axle of your truck then you will also help to control your steering capabilities and your braking.

Max speed with chains is 25-30 mph.

It is also very important know how to put the chains on, how to size them, and realize they have a proper direction, improper installation can cause severe tire damage (my son learned the hard way)

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Snow Chains??? I would be heading the other way!

I assume you have done it before then?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #7

I guess the best answer will be to change trip plans, but in this case if we don't leave on our scheduled day, then we might not be going at all. Its just a quick trip to the coast at a place I had to book 7 months ago to even get a spot...

I guess I'm hoping to get some real world responses from folks that have actually towed a trailer while using chains on both, and what the experience was like.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

Are chains required where you are going?

I was driving back to Michigan when that snow storm hit the south east in early January. By the time we stopped for the night, there was about 6" on the roads. The next morning when we got back on the road was anywhere from 6" to snow covered. Mind you, this was the south east and they have no clue on how to deal with white stuff.

I'm sure I was the "crazy person", but I was generally doing 35 to 45 when it was just me and 25 to 35 when around others. I felt will within control and felt like I had plenty of traction for the conditions I was in. We were going up and down grades, I just kept it in 4wd, and did everything gently, no sudden moves and driving slower on the grades. Having 2000 pounds (pin weight) added to the rear axle helps with traction immensely. Also, realize that I'm from Michigan and regularly drive in snow, so no big deal for me. Your mileage may vary.

We had an extra day that we could have waited (and probably should have), but once we were on the road headed north, we had to be winterized, which takes a bit of the flexibility of hanging out waiting for weather.

With 4wd and good tires, I wouldn't worry about chains unless they are required by DOT for where you are traveling. You get better traction in snow than you do on ice. At 35 mph, your going slow enough that you shouldn't get in too much trouble if your comfortable in snow.

And if you do it, look for a Blue Beacon truck wash so they can get all the salt and road grime off it for you.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
While admittedly I have never done it with a trailer, I have driven over that pass when chains are required on 80 West out of Reno, and yes, its required on the truck and trailer according to this if/when they invoke the chain ordinance. Chain Requirements

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:

I was driving back to Michigan when that snow storm hit the south east in early January. By the time we stopped for the night, there was about 6" on the roads. The next morning when we got back on the road was anywhere from 6" to snow covered. Mind you, this was the south east and they have no clue on how to deal with white stuff.

I'm sure I was the "crazy person", but I was generally doing 35 to 45 when it was just me and 25 to 35 when around others. I felt will within control and felt like I had plenty of traction for the conditions I was in. We were going up and down grades, I just kept it in 4wd, and did everything gently, no sudden moves and driving slower on the grades. Having 2000 pounds (pin weight) added to the rear axle helps with traction immensely. Also, realize that I'm from Michigan and regularly drive in snow, so no big deal for me. Your mileage may vary.

We had an extra day that we could have waited (and probably should have), but once we were on the road headed north, we had to be winterized, which takes a bit of the flexibility of hanging out waiting for weather.

With 4wd and good tires, I wouldn't worry about chains unless they are required by DOT for where you are traveling. You get better traction in snow than you do on ice. At 35 mph, your going slow enough that you shouldn't get in too much trouble if your comfortable in snow.

And if you do it, look for a Blue Beacon truck wash so they can get all the salt and road grime off it for you.
As jsallman1 said, Caltrans will depending on weather require chains.... and by all means I have no problem using them if it means that much more traction. I'm totally confident driving in the snow/ice, been doing it my whole life........but this would be my first time with a trailer so it's a totally unknown to me.

Lucky for me my neighbor had the right sizes to let me borrow....Chains for the truck, but cables for the trailer. He had made the comment that chains on the trailer will get it bouncing pretty good, so he went with cables. He has yet to have to use them on his truck and trailer so no input on actually experiences. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Unless its a blizzard I'm sure we'll end up going, and worst case turn around if needed.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtedelen View Post
Unless its a blizzard I'm sure we'll end up going, and worst case turn around if needed.
At least since you're in Reno your decision should be made pretty quickly for you.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #12

Quote:
When the chain law is in effect in the mountains, it's not optional. All tow vehicles must carry chains during the winter months, and they must be installed on the vehicle if the chain law is in effect. In Colorado there are different levels of requirement depending on the severity of the conditions, but having chains available and ready to put on is a season long mandate.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #13

Quote:
So I have never in my life had to use chains. Always had a 4x4. We have a trip planed this Thursday heading out from Reno, NV over the pass West and it appears we may have to deal with some snow, really hoping the forecast changes.

The way I understand it, the proper method is chains on one axle of my 5th wheel, in addition to the rear axle on my truck.

What kind of chains provide the best traction? Cables, chains, etc....

For those that have had to chain up a 5th wheel/TT, how was it? is the traction, and braking pretty decent and safe if taking it slow and cautious? Or is a recipe for disaster? I have no problem driving at a snails pace over the pass to ensure our safety.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I grew up in the Reno and Carson City area prior to moving to Alaska. I spent many a fall and winter season towing trailers and a 5er all over Northern Nevada and California. I have had many occasions of have my both axles of the truck and one axle of the trailer chained up. Towed over Donner Summit many times.

By all means chain up one axle of the 5er and the rear axle (at the very least) of the truck and head out. Make sure your chains are tight and have extra tensioners and the good old rubber bungee cords with you. Depending on where you have to stop to put the chains on, take it slow and easy, and stop a few times to check all the chains over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
I grew up in the Reno and Carson City area prior to moving to Alaska. I spent many a fall and winter season towing trailers and a 5er all over Northern Nevada and California. I have had many occasions of have my both axles of the truck and one axle of the trailer chained up. Towed over Donner Summit many times.

By all means chain up one axle of the 5er and the rear axle (at the very least) of the truck and head out. Make sure your chains are tight and have extra tensioners and the good old rubber bungee cords with you. Depending on where you have to stop to put the chains on, take it slow and easy, and stop a few times to check all the chains over.

Awesome, thanks for the advice!!! I only have cables for the trailer, do you have preference over chains or cables?
Old 02-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #15

You may want to plan the trip carefully so you never actually need the chains. I don't know if they use salt there like they do here, but it can cause a lot of damage to the RV. My cars always drive year round without major issue. But one trip to Florida in the winter planted me in heavy show on the return trip. The amount of rust and corrosion I found on the RV for the next few years until I traded it always shocked me. It seriously pushed up the maintenance requirements and has made me avoid winter driving in an RV with even damp roads ever since. I took the motorhome to a truck wash and had the underside pressure washed before parking it after that trip, but it still suffered a lot from the salt exposure.
RayPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPayne View Post
You may want to plan the trip carefully so you never actually need the chains. I don't know if they use salt there like they do here, but it can cause a lot of damage to the RV. My cars always drive year round without major issue. But one trip to Florida in the winter planted me in heavy show on the return trip. The amount of rust and corrosion I found on the RV for the next few years until I traded it always shocked me. It seriously pushed up the maintenance requirements and has made me avoid winter driving in an RV with even damp roads ever since. I took the motorhome to a truck wash and had the underside pressure washed before parking it after that trip, but it still suffered a lot from the salt exposure.
Luckily California doesn't use a straight salt on the roads like some states. They do however use a brine solution, which is not nearly as corrosive. Either way to be safe I'll pressure wash as soon as I get to my destination and get it all off. Thank you for the recommendation!
Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #17

They use brine here too, but it's a salt brine. If I *had* to take the RV through potential salt again, I would probably investigate rust proofing it first. Honestly because of the materials used in an RV vs a car, I don't know if that's a viable option of not. I just wouldn't want anyone else to have the same sort of disappointment I had at how pervasive the rust became in places I never thought would have picked up spray from the road.
RayPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #18

You can also look at tire socks. I use them.

Granted when chain laws are in effect, my camper is hibernating. I spend the winter months drinking beer and working through my binder of 'honey do' lists.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the advice!!! I only have cables for the trailer, do you have preference over chains or cables?

Whether running cables or chains you still have to maintain a low speed. Breaking either can cause damage. Cables will damage less and ride a bit smoother for the trailer. However, if they break, often times it takes much longer to notice one is broken and you get damage either way. Chains do provide more traction.

My personal preference is to have chains on both the TV and the trailer. In the case of a chain breaking, you can carry "add a links" or "chain repair links" and get back on the road. Usually once a cable is broke, it's broke and garbage.
Since you have to drive at such reduced speeds whether running chains or cables, I figure might as well have chains and get better traction and be able to repair them if something bad happens.
Just make sure you have extra bungees. I continually carry extras. I would rather have more than I need.

2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 AM   #20

mtedelen, I'm sure you've seen on the news that hwy 80 seems to get closed down almost every time it snows, especially this year. I hate that stretch of highway in the summer, let alone the winter. Once you've chained up, just take it SLOW, as in SLOW is FAST. I'm down in Gardnerville and as you know it's been an epic winter. If you can, I'd leave Wednesday evening and sleep on the other side of the Sierras, even if you have to pull into a Walmart

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote