Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #1

Newbie - looking for tips & tricks for securing cargo in my 23B

I've ran across a couple tips regarding securing cargo..for example, stash sleeping bags & pillows in the bath/shower.

But would love to hear what others have come up with for securing larger stuff that won't fit in a cabinet.

For instance, we've got a couple fold up zero gravity chairs. Also, planning on having a decent size cooler for just drinks.

While I have a pickup, I don't have much payload left over. So everything needs to go into the trailer.

Thanks!
Charles
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:29 AM   #2

Bring along a tent to store the items that are required for your group, but don't have the room for in the camper or TV.

I see this often at campsites with campers; I used to think the parents tossed the kids in the tent at night for sleeping!

Instead, I see the coolers, bikes, toys, etc in these tents.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:42 AM   #3

I travel with the dinette in the down position. I just put stuff there. I also just put the dirtier stuff on the floor.
How much stuff do you carry that you don't have enough room in a 23B?
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:14 AM   #4

I use small cleats in my van. It provides a convenient place to tie off lines, or hook straps and bungee cords. My thought would be to install them on the corner area of cabinet work or other places where you know there is some wood structure to fasten properly.

The intention is to use them to help stabilize the things you store or keep them in place. I don't suggest that the cleats installed on cabinetry are good for really heavy loads. Our bicycles are one thing that the cleats work well with. It seems the bikes are always trying to slip around and move.

The cleats can be installed in out of sight areas. I suppose they may not be good for those who like an extremely clean look inside their RV.

There are some different styles available. vic

Click image for larger version

Name:	LowerCleat.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	17485

Name:  200x200_05626.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  6.4 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	CleatFolding.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	17487
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:18 AM   #5

It's not the amount...just don't want stuff sliding around and banging up the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch1 View Post
I travel with the dinette in the down position. I just put stuff there. I also just put the dirtier stuff on the floor.
How much stuff do you carry that you don't have enough room in a 23B?
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #6

We're having the same issue with our new trailer. In the old one it didn't really matter a whole lot and things pretty well stayed where they were put. I've bought a yoga mat that I hope to wrap around our stacking chairs that have been going with us for many years. There was carpet in the old trailer and the chairs stayed where you put them. I may get some rubber-like rug underlayment to put down on the floor to set the chairs on and then wrap the yoga mat or a heavy blanket around them to keep them from marring the trailer. Just an idea in the works yet. I'd also like to hear what others do with such things. We've waited a long time for a new trailer and want to take care of it!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:51 AM   #7

We have traveled with items in the shower/tub surrounded by our bath towels. We have a slide-out on our TT and when it's in, it creates a nice closed-in area between it and the bed and we store things there and use pillows to make it more secure. We have an outside table that folds in half and we store it on the bed as we travel, also surrounded by pillows and it doesn't move. Where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck!

Mark, Kelley and our mutt, Macy
2014 Chevy Silverado
2015 Jayco White Hawk 21FBS
mk4ever86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #8

We leave the dinette table up and have a few baskets and totes that wedge in between the table and the dinette seats. These are mostly full of baby stuff, so they're not heavy but they stay put very well.

The floor plan in your 23B is pretty open, so I can see the difficulty of finding places to wedge stuff so it doesn't move. It seems like the dinette area up front would be a prime candidate, but then you don't want to load the tongue up too much. Keeping some things in the bathroom seems like a good idea...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:54 AM   #9

This reminded me of George Carlin who said it best; We buy a house (or in this case, a camper) with size in mind, because we have "stuff" we need to keep, or bring with us when we go places.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:58 AM   #10

Does your bed lift to allow storage under it? That's where I used to keep our chairs....

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

Lots of room to store stuff, almost to much room at times. The only cabinets that are a mess are the ones over the sofa and kitchen cabinets. We have a series of small baskets. For example one holds all the spices and drink mixes. There is one under the bathroom sink to hold little toiletries. Have a larger one in a wardrobe closet to hold larger games and toys. We have a few computer paper box lids in the cargo hold to hold misc stuff. When the lid dies, I just replace it. We have a few square plastic ice-cream containers in the cargo hold to secure other misc items. Surprisingly things do not move around to much. When you get to your destination ALWAYS remember to open any door slowly and expect something to want to fall down.

Look at my signature line and click on a few links, to see what I have done. But I modified the entire dinette, to add a storage cabinet to the dead space along the front wall. All we store there is bedding. Pillows get shoved while traveling in the little overhead compartment above the entrance to the rear bed. Laundry basket in the shower for dirty cloths, we take showers at the CG bath house. I removed the panel under the sofa, re arranged the wires and ducting so we store our footwear there. The chairs go in the dinette cabinets just to the right of the door, with a few other outdoor items. Kitchen items that are always out, go in the sink. Anything that goes in the overhead cabinets that do not have doors need to have a pillow or a blanket shoved in to keep it in place while traveling, or it will be on the floor.

When traveling with additional items that do not have homes, I place them ether under the dinette table (placed in the traveling position) or along the back wall, in front of the fuse box. So far have not had any issues with things moving to much

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #12

We camp in a 23b with 4 kids. All sleeping bags go in one of the tall cabinets. Flashlights, fans, utility stuff go in all the other cabinets. We stock the fridge before we leave. Also stock the cabinets with our camp clothes. The dinette stays in the down position, and we place the zero-gravity chairs on top of it, as well as a portable wagon and pillows, blankets that we might bring along. All other folding chairs, as well as our outdoor mat, go under the folded dinette table. We never run out of storage space, and have never had issues with items shifting too much out of place.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #13

We have a bunkhouse (for guests), but lawn chairs fit there perfectly and it is great for extra storage. In the next week or two, we'll be experimenting with how to most effectively transport our waste tote (cuz it AIN'T going in the TT) ~ see other posts on THIS issue.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
. Also, planning on having a decent size cooler for just drinks.
After my maiden voyage one of the first things I did was find out where I wanted my big cooler to be and put a pvc pipe sleeve through the floor and a hose from the cooler drain. The cooler is quite large and moveing it to drain the water was a PIA. I can post pics if anyone likes. I put a 3/4" pvc ball valve as well.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #15

We have an X20E, smaller version of the 23B and certainly less storage. We travel with the dinette down and cushions in position as if we were using it for a bed. Pillows, blankets, and sleeping bag go on the couch. Folding chairs, folding table, and a few other outside items lay right on the cushions for the dinette. We did the same thing with our old Kiwi 17a. In many thousands of miles of travel we have never ended up with anything on the floor or tossed about.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote