Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #1

Waste valve extension gone and hole in trailer

2007 Jayco Hybrid - 19H

I was traveling to Muskegon state park this past weekend and on the way hit a larger black plastic object (about football sized) that came out from under the semi in front of me. Pulled over to find a decent sized hole in bottom of trailer (see pic) and extension to black water valve were gone, as was half of the gray tank valve pull. I'll get under there again today and take some better pics of the valve to black water tank.

I called general rv to see about getting in to have it looked at, earliest option is September I did make an appt for another place but earliest is August 8th. Not good since we have two more trips planned this summer.

So I have a few questions I was hoping someone can assist with.
1.) Is replacing the backwater valve easy? Prices for parts online seem reasonable
2.) What is recommended to repair the softball sized hole in bottom? It tore through outer black layer and all of the foam and a bit of wood sub floor.
3.) What else should I be looking for safety or otherwise that may need to be checked out?
4.) If I replace some of the parts myself which I can do (just replaced brakes on truck recently) are there other things I could/should do while under there from a maintenance perspective while I am working on it?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

(I have 3 small kids and was not fun taking them back and forth to the restrooms constantly to avoid filling black water tank.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0280.jpg   IMG_0281.jpg   IMG_0282.jpg   IMG_0283.jpg  
Tbaums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #2

The black piping is easy work. I have torn out the sewer in every trailer I or the family have ever owned, except for this HTT (knock on wood). Cut out the damage and replace it with new ABS black plastic piping, make sure to use the right type of glue.

As for the floor, it is hard to tell details from the pictures. Can you explain more about where the damage is located. It does not sound like it whent through the main subfloor that you walk on. Where in the htt is the damage located. The easy solution is to purchase a piece of exterior grade plywood cut to be oversized of the area and screw to the underside of the floor, to create a patch. Inside? need more info. I might use a can of spray foam and build up layers to fill the damage, then shave, then apply the patch, this will give support to the subfloor. Do NOT fill the entire cavity with the patch in place or you may create a bow in the floor when the foam expands.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #3

Is that the black tank valve?

I ask because it looks like it is on the smaller drain line which is normally the Grey Tank. Either way not a big real to fix. I would patch the hole as mentioned above for now and use the camper.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
Is that the black tank valve?

I ask because it looks like it is on the smaller drain line which is normally the Grey Tank. Either way not a big real to fix. I would patch the hole as mentioned above for now and use the camper.
In the pic, yes that is the grey water tank valve. I have no pick of the black water tank valve as it is completely gone.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum.

I got nothin' to help with your 'crappy' issue , but there are many knowledgeable and helpful folk here.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
The black piping is easy work. I have torn out the sewer in every trailer I or the family have ever owned, except for this HTT (knock on wood). Cut out the damage and replace it with new ABS black plastic piping, make sure to use the right type of glue.

As for the floor, it is hard to tell details from the pictures. Can you explain more about where the damage is located. It does not sound like it whent through the main subfloor that you walk on. Where in the htt is the damage located. The easy solution is to purchase a piece of exterior grade plywood cut to be oversized of the area and screw to the underside of the floor, to create a patch. Inside? need more info. I might use a can of spray foam and build up layers to fill the damage, then shave, then apply the patch, this will give support to the subfloor. Do NOT fill the entire cavity with the patch in place or you may create a bow in the floor when the foam expands.
I took off a panel under the bathroom sink as the whole is directly under it. I am attaching a pic of that. It definitely blew right threw the subfloor, I can see sunlight coming through it. I checked all the wires and water lines and all seem to be in good shape, luckily. I will need to replace the heat duct that runs through there also, it was severed. So in this area there will be no additional weight put on it from storage or walking directly on top as it is under the bathroom vanity and the access compartment is screw in to hide all the wiring and water lines.

I think I may try it as you recommended and screw in a patch piece of wood and spray in foam after. I am not sure what to patch over that though to keep moisture out. The hole is located directly behind the wheel well so if it rains while driving that could be an issue. The bottom of the trailer is covered in a black fiber material. Is there any recommendations to patch that after the subfloor work is done?
Attached Thumbnails
Inside pic.jpg   Insdie pic 2.jpg  
Old 07-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #7

For covering the hole on the underside once all the patching is complete you might consider using a piece of Plasticor board. This is the same material that was used to fully enclose the underbelly on our unit. You should be able to find it in smaller sheets at hardware or Arts & Crafts stores.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbaums View Post
In the pic, yes that is the grey water tank valve. I have no pick of the black water tank valve as it is completely gone.
Ahh. I thought the broke handle was the only issue with the valves. Maybe that you were concerned it would break off the rest of the way.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #9

With the subfloor being broken through. I still would apply a piece of exterior grade (pressure treated) plywood to the underside. With the location being under the sink, I would not worry to much about the spray foam, unless you camp in really cold weather. If you decide to spray foam, I would from above SLOWLY usimg a good exterior grade spray foam, through the break in the subfloor. Spray foam expands massively, and it is really easy to use to much.

As for covering the plywood, if it's an exterior grade, don't worry about it, it will outlast the htt. I might use a little marine silicone caulk, at the seams to keep road spray from migrating between the layers.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #10

The waste lines are easy to fix no reason to wait on the dealer and save yourself some money. For the floor I would patch with some 1/4" plywood top and bottom since it isn't supporting any weight, screw them in place and pre drill a small hole in the bottom piece, buy some minimal expanding foam and squirt it in the hole until it fills the cavity, after it cures remove any excess. Maybe paint the ply black to match the bottom side and caulk the edges.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #11

Any insurance available?
wabirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabirch View Post
Any insurance available?
Yes, its insured.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #13

Agree with all above posts, self repair that thing and enjoy your summer. Any plumbing place will have what you need and order a new valve on Amazon or such. Repair plywood, patch the belly and move on.

Road debris is scary stuff, we almost smoked a couch on a State Road the other day.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #14

what part of Michigan you from?? live in Macomb, there is an rv service around here that comes to you for repairs, charges half what general rv does for hourly rate. bobs rv.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:04 PM   #15

You could spray your plywood patch with a rubberized auto under coating
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote