Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Recall Notices
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #81

Highland Ridge now having a similar recall:

Report: Highland Ridge Issues Ceiling Light Recall | RV Business
Old 06-06-2017, 05:58 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Highland Ridge now having a similar recall:

Report: Highland Ridge Issues Ceiling Light Recall | RV Business
I kind of figured Jayco wasn't the only one using these lights. I bet we'll see more manufacturers to follow.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:32 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsue View Post
I posted some pictures of the LED lights being recalled as well as some IR images.
3 scans are in order.
1st is ambient temp. 53F
2nd within a minute. 74.3F
The last was at 8 minutes.... 228.3F

Would like to see someone post details/pictures of the replacement LED's as mine have not been swapped yet.
Where are those pictures Robsue ?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:20 AM   #84

I called my dealer and asked them to get them done ASAP. They said I could just bring it in anytime with no appointment and they would get it done while I wait. Took them about an hour and fifteen minutes. I wouldn't wait for Jayco to call you, give them a call and tell them you want it fixed!

The lights look identical inside and out. I talked to the guy installing the new ones and he said the light manufacturer used the wrong resistors so it was causing too much resistance. Resistance = heat! Prior to the recall I noticed how hot they would get and didn't think that was normal. Now with the new ones they barely get warm. Much better!!
.............................................Diablew Tune

SEAHAWKS_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:39 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAHAWKS_12 View Post
I wouldn't wait for Jayco to call you, give them a call and tell them you want it fixed!
They won't call, you'll get a letter telling you to contact your dealer.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:09 AM   #86

I was referring to Angeleyes0001a comment that Jayco hasnt contacted them yet. I received two letters for some reason.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #87

Scheduled an appointment two weeks ago to get the recall performed. Get there this morning and I was told this first appointment was just so they can count the number of lights they need to order. I was told by the service manager that this is how they are required to do it by Jayco. I just don't get it other than they get to bill Jayco two times instead of one. You can't tell me that Jayco and the dealer don't know how many lights are in my trailer without me hauling it in. I've had a few recalls done to my vehicles and I was able to schedule the appointment to have the work done without driving it into the dealership.
rgardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr View Post
Scheduled an appointment two weeks ago to get the recall performed. Get there this morning and I was told this first appointment was just so they can count the number of lights they need to order. I was told by the service manager that this is how they are required to do it by Jayco. I just don't get it other than they get to bill Jayco two times instead of one. You can't tell me that Jayco and the dealer don't know how many lights are in my trailer without me hauling it in. I've had a few recalls done to my vehicles and I was able to schedule the appointment to have the work done without driving it into the dealership.
My dealer told me the same thing, I told him I don't wan't to have to bring it down there twice (and I'm only 15 minutes from them). For whatever reason they complied so i told them how many lights i have, but I think the reason they need to see it is because there are a couple types. I had to verify if my little circle lights had a bezel around the rim or nothing around the rim...not hard to do, but I guess if they relied on the customer to give them the correct info (no matter how easy) they run the risk of them getting it wrong and they order the wrong ones, which is probably why they want to see the trailer in person. My dealer is pretty laid back so I guess they just trusted me. They said they'd give me a call when the parts came in and I'll take it down then.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #89

I talked to Jayco directly and they knew by looking at my VIN how many lights I needed. The dealer also knew how many I needed. When I showed up they had huge boxes full of brand new lights! No reason they should have to order them or "not know" how many lights to replace. That is craziness. I am starting to believe all dealers are shady...lol

Old 06-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #90

I'm goin to call my dealer and give them the Vin number. According to Jayco that's all I have to do to get the ball rolling.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #91

Jayco recalls 13,000 travel trailers for LED lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAHAWKS_12 View Post
I talked to Jayco directly and they knew by looking at my VIN how many lights I needed. The dealer also knew how many I needed. When I showed up they had huge boxes full of brand new lights! No reason they should have to order them or "not know" how many lights to replace. That is craziness. I am starting to believe all dealers are shady...lol
I called Jayco customer service to complain and was told the dealer was able to get the information directly from Jayco, but they could also have the customer bring the trailer in to do a physical count. I'm upset with the dealership for not being upfront about their process. I made this appointment in person after 3 attempts to set it up over the phone that ended in me not getting a return phone call. No mention that it was going to take multiple visits to get the recall actually performed. My guess is the light manufacturer is on the hook so there isn't an incentive to get past this step in the most expeditious/cost-effective way possible. In the grand scheme of things I would have paid the $62.50 myself (service dept minimum charge for 1/2 hour) to avoid having to drag the trailer in.
rgardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #92

Our dealer got the count from the VIN and then called me and asked me to confirm their count prior to ordering the lights and whether I needed any new lenses (which I did not).

Took about 2 weeks for the lights to arrive. They called to tell me that they were here so we scheduled a day and time for me to bring it in. Brought it in and waited while they did the swap out.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #93

I'm willing to just purchase the parts. Is that not an option

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Cirrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:30 PM   #94

No its not, I already asked. They said because it is a federal mandated real a dealer hs to do it

Old 06-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
No its not, I already asked. They said because it is a federal mandated real a dealer hs to do it

Not really true. You could replace them yourself if you bought new lights out of pocket and never went back to the dealership for anything. It isn't like they will come and repo your camper in the middle of the night to install the lights and sneak it back the next day. Or just don't replace them but there is the risk that insurance wouldn't cover it if there was a fire and they could prove you knew about the recall and ignored it.

All the federal mandated recall means is let's say you don't replace them now. You could pull into the dealer 5 years from now and even if the warranty is expired they would have to replace them at no charge. Or a future owner could do this as it is a recall claim not a warranty claim.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #96

Just sayin what Jayco told me when I asked could I order them an do it myself. If it was a recall that they discovered then they would send the replacement part for me to install, depending on what it is of course

Old 06-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #97

Let em rephrase, a recall that they instituted

Old 06-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #98

If I showed up at my dealer and was told the first visit is to just count how many light are needed, well somebody would get their ass whipped quick, fast and in a hurry.

Thats is just ridiculous. Just how much of an inconvenience does Jayco want to make this?
Old 06-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #99

What I want to know is doesn't any manufacturer test their product before turning it loose to the public? How is it millions of vehicles get recalled dating back years? How is it that something as simple as a light get out? What do these manufacturers do, design it, build it and use or test it at lunch time or thier 15 minute afternoon break and say yep it's good start production.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #100

Seasonal/Permanently Parked

Anyone had any luck getting Jayco to pay for a mobile service unit to replace the lights? My trailer is seasonal and cant be taken out at least until fall if at all. There is new landscape that may be destroyed if the trailer were moved and dismantling would have to be done. I called the dealer and they said they thought Jayco would cover it and would call me back. Well guess what they are now not calling be back.
CUthere is offline   Reply With Quote