Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2024, 05:43 PM   #1

27U Kitchen Slide Out Trouble

While doing some cleaning I attempted to extend the kitchen (labeled Main) slide out. I had the slide out in and out a couple of times the past 3 days. Today it stopped about 80% extended.

There are not any blown fuses. I can hear a relay clicking when I try to move in either direction. Also, battery amps shoot up to at least 26 amps when I engage the switch in either direction. I swapped the fuses between the main and bedroom slide outs. The bedroom slide still works, and the kitchen behavior remains the same.

The slide out mechanism is a Lippert. It is a single motor (I think) located between the coach floor and the bottom of the slide out. Access is a nightmare.

Has anyone accessed this mechanism? It is located below the dinette and kitchen cabinet.

I can see the manual turn crank point, I am not sure how I can get a ratchet and socket on it, and if I did, I don't think I can actually move the ratchet to make it move. I also cannot see how I can disengage the brake. Will killing the DC to the motor release the brake?

Any Ideas or experience with this setup will be appreciated.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by salukee View Post
While doing some cleaning I attempted to extend the kitchen (labeled Main) slide out. I had the slide out in and out a couple of times the past 3 days. Today it stopped about 80% extended.

There are not any blown fuses. I can hear a relay clicking when I try to move in either direction. Also, battery amps shoot up to at least 26 amps when I engage the switch in either direction. I swapped the fuses between the main and bedroom slide outs. The bedroom slide still works, and the kitchen behavior remains the same.

The slide out mechanism is a Lippert. It is a single motor (I think) located between the coach floor and the bottom of the slide out. Access is a nightmare.

Has anyone accessed this mechanism? It is located below the dinette and kitchen cabinet.

I can see the manual turn crank point, I am not sure how I can get a ratchet and socket on it, and if I did, I don't think I can actually move the ratchet to make it move. I also cannot see how I can disengage the brake. Will killing the DC to the motor release the brake?

Any Ideas or experience with this setup will be appreciated.
This is the owners manual. It might help you in trouble shooting.
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001598.pdf
Your issue may be something got stuck under it. Check for obstructions first. I have read that some manufacturers put access holes below it and cover the hole with floor covering. Best wishes. Kevin
Also, there is a latching mechanism that has to be released before you can manually move it. I believe it is a handle.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:45 AM   #3

Thanks Kevin. I saw a video where a guy releases the brake on a drive system like mine. However, he was in a shop at the work bench, not under my floor. The motor is on the opposite of the gearbox from the manual crank hookup, and the brake is at the rear of the motor. No way to put a hand on it without an access panel. Thats why I am wondering if a loss of DC power also releases the brake? I am assuming it doesn't in case you had the DC power off in the coach while driving.

I'm also assuming there is no provided access, there is a storage compartment below motor assembly. I might try cutting an access from the top of the dinette seat floor. However, that location would only be good for when the slide is stuck in its current position.