Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2024, 07:48 PM   #21

I've been using pinsol for decades, rarely anything else. Never have a stinky tank. Occasionally I pour in about a 1/2 liquid fabric soften with a maybe 4 gallons of water. A couple trips with that in that tank after dumping and my sensors are all happy again. It works good in the Grey tank too, with what I suspect is grease on the sensors.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
Struvite is only in black tanks. Two of the three elements in gray tank are missing. Soap scum is more likely the issue in gray tanks. Bar soap can cause the problem. Try 1 cup of Borax dissolved in hot water and poured in, and a cup of liquid degreaser product into 5-10 gallons of water. https://a.co/d/c1t2lEz Drive to your next site, leave it in until you have to dump. Do it a few more times. Your sensors should start working.
At one time or another, I've tried everything you mentioned and a few other things you didn't mention. Nothing really seemed to work with any consistency or at all. The things I mentioned in my original response were tried over the last few weeks while I was parked at a full hookup location. I wasn't trying to rid my tank of struvite. I was trying to rid my tank of anything that happened to be in there that would make my sensors give false readings, struvite or otherwise.

FWIW, I don't "need" my sensors to work. I know how long it takes to fill the tanks under normal use. Most of the time, I am at a site for a shorter amount of time than it takes to fill the tanks. Only once in the last year was I at a campground long enough to worry about dumping my tanks into a portable tank before they overflowed.

The reason I try to clean my sensors is because it is a source of irritation that they don't provide a correct reading.

The only thing that I have tried that worked was Clorox. I know. Clorox is bad. But I know it works, or worked, on a previous trailer I owned. I may try it once on this trailer when I get to a location where I can dump the tanks without upsetting the ecosystem
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:26 PM   #23

cmikal,
I saw a video once on Myrvworks channel on YouTube. He showed that sometimes your sensors do not work because of the wiring harness that connects to the tank studs. They have different resistance values, and can be faulty. Also, the controls where the lights are can be the issue. It might be worth watching.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:33 AM   #24
Site Team

I mixed a half gallon of this up with 20 oz of Pine-Sol and 1/2 cup of Borax because I already had a box. could not find the beads.

I put half in the black and the other half in the kitchen grey tank. Will let it slosh around for a week and see how it does just for grins.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
It cleans the tank and stops the odor. I take a half cup of Borax, mix it a small bucket or container with hot water. Stir till dissolved. Then pour into the toilet. Then you need a detergent. You can use Dawn, clothes washer, or dishwasher. I use clothes washer, less foam than Dawn. 1/4 cup of dawn or a washer pod is easiest. Leave this in your tank until you need to dump it. You might want to and second half cup Borax if more than half full and staying longer. Our used Alante had sensors that were not correct. Still showed 1/3 when dumped. After two uses, sensors work fine. It will take more if you have a lot. The RV we bought had 4500 miles on it.
If you would like to see an in depth video on this, let me know and I will get you a link.

I have a 2021 Alante and the same issue with the tank sensor reading 1/3 when dumped.
If you can send a link to that video that would be great.
Thanks
LampsAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampsAW View Post
I have a 2021 Alante and the same issue with the tank sensor reading 1/3 when dumped.
If you can send a link to that video that would be great.
Thanks
https://youtu.be/RgCK_wV7TLI?si=K9qxYy1ANn9qk_jF
Old 03-14-2024, 08:12 AM   #27

And here I am thinking the Walmart six pack of blue juice was the answer to the black tank issues haha.
LampsAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampsAW View Post
And here I am thinking the Walmart six pack of blue juice was the answer to the black tank issues haha.
I bought a gallon of Green ??? Something once to clean the awning because my wife said everybody was raving about it on Facebook RV group. It was water with bleach and a little detergent. I guess the plastic jug works for when I make it.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:32 AM   #29

Been using this for several years and it seems to work well. Here is the formula:
HOLDING TANK TREATMENT

Start with an empty Gal. jug
Pour ¼ cup Calgon Bath Beads into jug.
Fill jug ½ full of water (Shake well)
Slowly pour 40 oz. bottle of Pine-Sol in.(Shake well)
Top off the Gal. with water. (Shake well)

8 oz. Black Tank 4 oz. Gray Tank
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:13 PM   #30

* Use a clean, empty one-gallon plastic jug or bottle
* Measure 40 ounces of Pine-Sol (or similar pine oil cleaner) into the jug or bottle
* Add eight ounces of Calgon bath powder, liquid, or bath beads to the jug or bottle
* Slowly add water to the jug or bottle. The contents will foam, so be patient.
* Put the cap on the jug or bottle and shake
* Every time you’ve emptied your holding tanks, add 1/2 cup of this solution (to both tanks)
Glenns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:53 AM   #31

I am also pleased with that solution
Dunegoon is offline   Reply With Quote