Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2024, 12:05 PM   #1

Skylark entry door strut

Hi everyone.

The wind caught our TT entry door and it snapped the ball end of the strut at the door, and ripped the ball pin out of the door threshold. Local RV dealers have no fix for the threshold nut's stripped threads to enable the 10mm ball to be replaced.

Still on the search for a replacement strut as original part number NLA.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
door strut.jpg  
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:50 PM   #2

My TT is in storage for the winter still, so I cannot just go look at it. As I recall your threshold looks like mine.

My strut lost its strength I bought a new strut on amazon, dealer told me to buy a 20 lbs, 20 inch unit. I think it is too strong, I would preferred something like a 15 lbs strut. I used my existing ball, I just unthreaded the caps on my new strut and used the old mounting hardware.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A couple years ago I also had the ball come out of the threshold. I recall it was an easy fix after sitting looking at if for a few minutes, but I do not remember what I did.

If the ball is not damaged, you an install it in a new location in the threshold or fill and fix the current location (that is what I did).

Good luck.

FYI, I'll be picking up the TT from winter hibernation in a couple weeks. If you do not have it figured out, ping me after April 3rd.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:31 PM   #3

Thank you Jagiven

I agree that 20lbs seems too much. I too am looking for slightly less.

The ball from the door is same as the one that pulled out of the threshold. It won't even start to thread. Going to borrow a thread chaser to see if that fixes it. Also rv shops advised i won't be able find the original ball that has a slotted top and no integral "nut" .

I'm sure I'll figure something out but if you think about it maybe reach out after you're TT is unveiled for the season. We're in Okanagan area of B.C. and seeing a lot more units on the road these days.

Cheers
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:33 PM   #4
Site Team

If your OE strut matched the specs on this one, it's the same one on our Jay Flight.

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-G...002XM5E6S?th=1

The next thing is to find a comparable Nutsert to replace the stripped out one, or get a Helicoil and get it back to functional.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:34 PM   #5

There was nothing special about the ball or cap. I unthreaded the cap that came with my strut and screwed in the OEM cap.

We use a LOT of struts at work. It would not be hard to look on McMaster-Carr and find something that will work. Amazon will be cheaper to purchase from than McMaster-Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/gas-struts/

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 04:43 PM   #6

Back in 2019 a wind gust ripped the threaded section out of my Greyhawk's door. I ended up buying some special threaded rivets, a tool to insert the rivet, a new ball end, plus a 10 pound strut. Also installed a lanyard on the top of the door to prevent it from happening again.

I had to use the old strut ends but they simply unscrewed. Regarding the special tool, you can actually install the threaded insert without it by using a simple threaded bolt and some nuts. The 10 pound strut was the same as the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-03-15 153305.jpg   Screenshot 2024-03-15 153445.jpg   Screenshot 2024-03-15 153520.jpg   Screenshot 2024-03-15 154113.jpg   Lanyard.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote