Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2024, 04:31 PM   #1

Kleen Tank tank solution works

Not sure how many people have ever used Kleen Tank cleaning services and
started using their recommended cleaning solution Calgon Beads/Pine Sol, but
we did last year, to date. I religiously used the recommended tank solution after each tank dump, especially the black tank, and can say it works well.
I never did the tank back flush, but did use the Black tank flush after each dump through the year when water was available…which was pretty much most of the time. This AM I had to use the gravity drain method instead of the Macerator method as the macerator hose couldn’t reach the dump port here at the camp ground, thus was able to see the “mess” dumping via clear wast hose 90 deg angle adapter. I dumped the black tank, then refilled the tank to about 30-40% fill, and dumped again, after the first gallon or so surge of “mess” the water turned almost clear. Refilled with another 30% fill and water was nearly clear.

Thus, i am sold on this method of tank maintenance and cleaning. Seems to work very well.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Very good to know, thanks for the input. I still have some Valterra Pure Power to use up (which works well for us), and since we're always looking for anything that may be better, we ordered a jug of Unique that came recommended by my FIL. We do wand the tank thoroughly after every outing to keep it clean and the sensors working.

The Calgon/Pine sol formula will be another to try. Anything to make the inside slippery is always good.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 06:21 PM   #3

I’m guessing that your tank sensors are working as well. If you ever cannot find Calgon, Borax will also do the same. They both soften the water so struvite doesn’t form.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:01 PM   #4

I've been using this method with good results.

https://www.trbowlin.com/bio-geo-method/
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 09:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I've been using this method with good results.

https://www.trbowlin.com/bio-geo-method/
That is what I do too. Except I use clothes washing detergent or dishwasher detergent. Less foam than Dawn. Just throw in a pod.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
I’m guessing that your tank sensors are working as well. If you ever cannot find Calgon, Borax will also do the same. They both soften the water so struvite doesn’t form.
We have the See-Level II tank monitor system. They were reading a little erratic…still reading percent fill when tanks flushed…now The black tank reads correctly. The Grey tank still reads a little when tank flushed, but haven’t been using as much in grey tank as I do in the black. Will work on the grey tank as well now.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Very good to know, thanks for the input. I still have some Valterra Pure Power to use up (which works well for us), and since we're always looking for anything that may be better, we ordered a jug of Unique that came recommended by my FIL. We do wand the tank thoroughly after every outing to keep it clean and the sensors working.

The Calgon/Pine sol formula will be another to try. Anything to make the inside slippery is always good.
Quote:

That is what I use, Unique and Borax. Seems to work well
Old 03-08-2024, 06:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Not really. Calgon (Bath Beads) contain lubricants, which is one reason for its use. Borax does not. Not sure why you need to soften black water anyway.

You are able to get it here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-08-2024, 07:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schielc View Post
Not really. Calgon (Bath Beads) contain lubricants, which is one reason for its use. Borax does not. Not sure why you need to soften black water anyway.

You are able to get it here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are three ingredients for struvite. Magnesium from��, Amonia from urine, and hard water. All three must be present for struvite to crystallize and form a soft rock like substance called struvite. So, if there is an absence on any one of them, it cannot form. It coats the sidewalls covering the sensors, holds some moisture, and sensors pick it up as liquid.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
There are three ingredients for struvite. Magnesium from��, Amonia from urine, and hard water. All three must be present for struvite to crystallize and form a soft rock like substance called struvite. So, if there is an absence on any one of them, it cannot form. It coats the sidewalls covering the sensors, holds some moisture, and sensors pick it up as liquid.
So do these treatments eliminate the presence of struvite or merely prevent its formation (or both)?
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:07 PM   #11

What is the mix ratio that you are using with the calgon beads and pinesol. Do you use any other kind of chemical in your black tank to break down the waste and paper?
beergut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:14 PM   #12

Has anyone tried or heard of using the 30% vinegar that you can get at Home Depot/Lowes for cleaning the black and grey tanks? (not standard kitchen vinegar) And its ability to remove or stop the struvite?
Old 03-13-2024, 01:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Able View Post
So do these treatments eliminate the presence of struvite or merely prevent its formation (or both)?
It cleans the tank and stops the odor. I take a half cup of Borax, mix it a small bucket or container with hot water. Stir till dissolved. Then pour into the toilet. Then you need a detergent. You can use Dawn, clothes washer, or dishwasher. I use clothes washer, less foam than Dawn. 1/4 cup of dawn or a washer pod is easiest. Leave this in your tank until you need to dump it. You might want to and second half cup Borax if more than half full and staying longer. Our used Alante had sensors that were not correct. Still showed 1/3 when dumped. After two uses, sensors work fine. It will take more if you have a lot. The RV we bought had 4500 miles on it.
If you would like to see an in depth video on this, let me know and I will get you a link.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergut82 View Post
What is the mix ratio that you are using with the calgon beads and pinesol. Do you use any other kind of chemical in your black tank to break down the waste and paper?
I can’t answer the Calgon question, but breaking down waste is the reaction and purpose of a septic tank. An RV has holding tanks, not septic tanks. If you find some videos of the high pressure water jet cleaning of RV tanks on YouTube, they say clearly you do not want sludge on the bottom of your tanks and suggest Calgon and Pinesol with lots of water.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:09 PM   #15

Vinegar is an acid and it will dissolve struvite.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:18 PM   #16

why not just add Borax to the Calgon Beads/Pine Sol solution and get the best of both worlds?
jt_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 05:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
Has anyone tried or heard of using the 30% vinegar that you can get at Home Depot/Lowes for cleaning the black and grey tanks? (not standard kitchen vinegar) And its ability to remove or stop the struvite?
I just tried it. I used one gallon of 30% vinegar and added 40 gallons of water to a 50 gallon tank. I let it sit for 48 hours, which is how long it took to fill the remaining unused capacity of the tank up to 50 gallons (full)

The sensors still indicated 2/3 full after dumping. No change, and this was after using several other "Can't miss" cleaning methods that also didn't work.

For reference, this ws my shower tank, not the black tank.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:17 PM   #18

I've had the Kleen Tank service and used their mixture for months. In my opinion, they are both worthless. Neither did anything to help my sensors work or appeared to make my tank any cleaner.
cshrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:28 PM   #19
CAG

See what you started. Now we get everyone's solution to cleaning tanks, again LOL.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikal View Post
I just tried it. I used one gallon of 30% vinegar and added 40 gallons of water to a 50 gallon tank. I let it sit for 48 hours, which is how long it took to fill the remaining unused capacity of the tank up to 50 gallons (full)

The sensors still indicated 2/3 full after dumping. No change, and this was after using several other "Can't miss" cleaning methods that also didn't work.

For reference, this ws my shower tank, not the black tank.
Struvite is only in black tanks. Two of the three elements in gray tank are missing. Soap scum is more likely the issue in gray tanks. Bar soap can cause the problem. Try 1 cup of Borax dissolved in hot water and poured in, and a cup of liquid degreaser product into 5-10 gallons of water. https://a.co/d/c1t2lEz Drive to your next site, leave it in until you have to dump. Do it a few more times. Your sensors should start working.