Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #1

Fuel filler neck extension?

Hello. My name is David. I've been reading the forums since purchasing our Seneca last November. It's been very helpful.

I have a question. When filling with diesel the chain on the fuel cap and the fuel nozzle are chipping the paint on the Seneca. Has anyone found an extension or something to protect the paint?

Many thanks.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

Welcome to the JOF.

There are a number of Seneca owners in the forum. Hopefully one of them will have a helpful hint.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #3

Also welcome, I hope you find the forum useful!

I have a '14 Seneca and the quick answer from me is "no". I just try to be very careful so as to not chip the paint and spill fuel everywhere. Sometimes the spilling issue is a real challenge since the big rig pumps I use can dispense fuel at a rate way too fast for our small fuel necks and tanks. I find I just have to "throttle" the nozzle the whole time I am filling, and really slow it down as the tank approaches full.

I installed locking fuel caps on mine to deter tampering, even more fun to remove given the close quarters the fuel caps have around them. But I have enough chain to let the caps rest on a paper towel I lay down first on the flat part of the upper step right beside the filler. I can't remember now whether the replacement locking caps came with a longer chain than the stock caps or not. The paper towel keeps the cap from abrading the top step, plus I then use the towel to wipe up any spills that I may have created. I wish they were more convenient myself. I also wish the fuel tanks were bigger, but that is a whole other discussion!

If you have questions about your unit don't be afraid to ask. There are lots of owners here very willing to help. And many of the questions may venture across the various types of RVs since many of our components are shared across the different types of campers. So you actually have hundreds of people's experiences that can help!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #4

Seneca fuel tanks

Are the Seneca fuel tanks cross connected? There is no switch to go fro one tank to another. So I'm thinking I can fill the tanks from either side depending how I pull into the station. I've only had to fill one tank so far.
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #5

There is no fuel selector switch and the tanks are not directly cross-connected like some big rigs are. Freightliner uses a passive transfer system between the two tanks. When both are full it draws from both and returns excess fuel to both. Ideally you fill both tanks, but I have also filled just one side and in time they do again equalize. But it won't happen immediately just sitting there and only seems to equalize while running. Also good to know is that the fuel level sender is only in the one tank, the driver's side on mine.

I have found that filling the passenger side first, topping off the driver's side last works best for me.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. It's so great talking to Seneca owners who have experienced their units and have gained some valuable experiences to pass on.
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #7

My chains are starting to scratch the paint also. Longer chains may be the answer. Maybe some kind of protective clear tape??
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave_Jan
Anyone find the needed filler neck extension?
97 Jeep Wrangler
Dave_Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:05 PM   #9

I extended my chains as to where I can now lay my caps on the step. You can find good chain at any hardware store.

The filler neck for diesel is the same size that is on most trucks. It's the sme size as on my dump truck. These vehicles are not cars, they are trucks, and filling them with diesel is just part of owning a truck. It's a little messy, and their is no getting around it. I don't care how careful you try to be, we will have spills. And if you are careful and escape having a spill you then end up stepping in someone's else's spill! Diesel is just plain nasty.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:57 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave_Jan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwade View Post
I extended my chains as to where I can now lay my caps on the step. You can find good chain at any hardware store.

The filler neck for diesel is the same size that is on most trucks. It's the sme size as on my dump truck. These vehicles are not cars, they are trucks, and filling them with diesel is just part of owning a truck. It's a little messy, and their is no getting around it. I don't care how careful you try to be, we will have spills. And if you are careful and escape having a spill you then end up stepping in someone's else's spill! Diesel is just plain nasty.
The mess I can deal with. I am wanting to use the entire tank for fuel. The extension would allow for more fuel I think, not to mention it would help with the mess.
97 Jeep Wrangler
Dave_Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwade View Post
My chains are starting to scratch the paint also. Longer chains may be the answer. Maybe some kind of protective clear tape??
I had some scrap pieces of auto vinyl wrap from my race car lying around and cut some to fit so the cap and chain don't chip the paint. On another note my Seneca was already chipped up from whoever filled it the first time at the dealer. I didn't notice it until I filled the tank.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #12

There is more discussion about extensions in the link below
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...y-22718-7.html

I am making some trim pieces to protect the fiberglass/ hide the chips & scratches in my fuel fill area. Mine was also badly scratched up by a previous owner and it drives me crazy. I will post some pictures here when I get them finished.
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:35 PM   #13

Dave, I hear you. I wonder if this would be legal to add an extension on the filler spout. The factory may have intended to make it that way for expansion. I think I will make a call to Freightliner.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:04 PM   #14

We have a 2015 37FK and it has clear plastic protective decal over the paint around the fuel filler cavities. Helps a lot but you still have to be careful.
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdbody View Post
We have a 2015 37FK and it has clear plastic protective decal over the paint around the fuel filler cavities. Helps a lot but you still have to be careful.
Here is how I fixed the fuel filler area, as well as the flimsy non-skid pads.
Attached Thumbnails
20161128_121004.jpg  
Old 12-08-2016, 07:49 AM   #16

Preventing scratches

I am taking my coach tomorrow to have the protective film placed around the fuel fill area to help me avoid scratching the paint and dropping diesel fuel on the paint in this area. The company I'm using uses Llumar film. Jayco or Freightliner put the film on the step and near the def nozzle, but didn't put it in the recessed area of the filler neck. I'm hoping this will also allow me to fuel w/o having to hold the pump the entire time. While I'm there, I'm thinking about having the film placed around the door handles on the cab and the latches for the storage bins. I want the paint looking good for as long as possible.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #17

Did you enlarge the hole around the filler neck?
Old 12-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #18

I don't see any difference in the photo.
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdbody View Post
I don't see any difference in the photo.
If you are referring to my step photo - if you look closely the steps have been shot in non-skid heavy duty truck bedliner, including in the area around the fuel fills. The material is reportedly very durable and impervious to diesel fuel. Time will tell, but I have a lifetime warranty against peeling.

The factory-applied non-skid pads were peeling off and fragmenting, and the painted area around the fuel fills was getting chipped by the big truck nozzles. The picture below is "before". The passenger side was even worse but I don't have a picture of that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture #4 driver's cab step non-skid.jpg  
Old 12-11-2016, 05:58 AM   #20

On the subject of filling the tanks and trying to keep from scratching the paint in the fill area, my thoughts are you get better with time.

I try to always fill at a Love's or other truck stop with a slave pump on the passenger side.
I carry a pair of leather gloves under the driver's seat in a ziplock bag. I only use them for filling the diesel and DEF.

The procedure that has been working for us, it to start the pump fill on the driver's side. Then start on the passenger side. Keeping an eye on the driver's side, it will shut off first. Complete fill on passenger side filling right to the brim. Put that hose away and put cap back on, on the passenger side. Go back to the driver's side and top that side up.

As far as scratches or chips, I've found that it mostly happens from the chain and mostly when the chain gets twisted. If I take a minute to make sure chain is not twisted, it will lay on the step tread, without chipping or concern.

We have to black base on our 37FS and though there are a few chips, that don't really show or I've gotten use to them.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote