Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #41

I added a full shutoff valve and a one way valve on the hot side which is similar to the kit shown only cheaper. It didn't fix the problem. The real issue is inside the Girard water heater. There are two safety devices, a flow sensor and a temperature sensor, that take time (and water) before the unit will re-ignite and heat the water after a shower turn off. My Atwood gas heater with 1400w electric rod "almost" acts like a tankless when both gas and electric rod are turned on.
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #42
Jon

Since October 2016, I have had a 2017 Eagle 321RSTS fifth wheel with Girard gen 3 tankless water heater. It works well with full hookup and unlimited sewer but not for boondocking. The problem is it takes 0.8 gallons per minute hot water flow to activate the water heater, and 7 seconds at that flow before the heater activates, then another 10 seconds or so before the water reaches temp, then the time it takes to get to the faucet. This means running at least a half gallon of water down the drain before it gets warm, each time you turn on the faucet. Also, the Girard does not heat at all when using the water pump from the fresh water tank, because the pump flow is only 0.86 gpm and it surges so does not get above the activation flow of 0.8 gpm for long enough for the water heater to stay activated. I'm currently discussing this with Jayco and Girard but no fixes yet. Has anyone else had this problem?
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #43

Jayco replaced my Version 2 Girard thankless water heater in our 2016 mv29 with the version 3. It took a year of phone call and 3 trips to the dealer to get it replaced . The version 3 worked as it was designed . I am not able to use any water filter in the RV as it restricts the flow an the heater will not work at most campsites. I added a accumulator tank to make the heater work with the water pump and removed the filter . I have to clean the screen in the bathroom sink when the flow drops and the heater wont come on . On our trip last week the black water tank lasted more than seven days ( 30 gal ) with two adults . The gray water (40 gal ) would not make the second day . The on demand water heater is not for boon docking. I purchased a 42 gal water tote for camping with out sewer hook- up which works out satisfactorily . In the dealers defense I was offered a 6 gal standard water heater but refused it . I would have taken a 10 gal . When this heater fails and the unit is out of warranty I would replace it with a Truma brand water heater . The Truma unit works well . the Truma has a recirculating pump and tank built in the unit None of the authorized in the in the area have installed any as of yet and installation Quotes ranged from $1250 to $1750 . It is the same size as the Girard .
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #44

Thanks, that's all good information and it's nice to know of another option if ones gives up on the Gerard at so,e point.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #45

Hi Jon,

Since I boon-dock a lot, I opted to replace the "thankless" water heater with a Suburban tanked. The 6 gallon fits in the same hole, and with the electric heater option, it "almost" acts like a tankless. I'm a happy camper now.

Here's some pics:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1132.html
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #46
Jon

Thanks to all for your input! It looks like Davidmac and I have done similar research. I'm going to replace the Girard Tankless with a Truma Aqua Go "Comfort" model. This Truma model needs only 0.4 gpm to activate on-demand heat, and has a small water tank that stays heated so hot water is always immediately available. The Truma is expensive, and I would have gone with a 10 gal tank model but Jayco only offered a 6 gal in my rig, so I ordered the new Girard but knew it was a risk. I'm trying to get Jayco to reimburse me for the Girard under the warrantee because it doesn't work with the water pump, but they are saying they have not heard of anyone else having this problem. Your posts will help my position. I've already decided to install the Truma no matter what Jayco does.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #47

I have the Girard instant water heater in my new 2017 Greyhawk 29' class C, but don't know what generation it is (model GSWH-2). I'm brand new to the RV lifestyle and am still trying to figure out how all of this works and the culture of these RV parks.

The heater seems to work really good, but only with patience. I set the temp to 105 so that I don't have to mix the hot & cold in the shower. When I turn off the hot water taking a Navy shower, the heater turns off. When I turn the water back on to rinse off, it will run hot for half a minute, then cold for a half minute while the heater turns itself back on. It will then continue to run hot until turned off again. Same way at the kitchen sink. The heater turns itself off after about 20 minutes of no use.

I have been told by the dealer that there is a recall fix on this heater, but they wouldn't let me do it myself. I can wait until I get back home to Missoula where they can do it.
leeinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #48
Jon

Yes, your GSWH-2 is the generation 3 and latest model. Good luck with it. I find it nice to take a long hot shower, as long as I have plenty of grey tank capacity and am able to leave water on at high flow for the whole shower. All other uses other than continuous high flow are unacceptable to me, but there seem to be those that are more okay with it.

I'd say get some more experience with it and post what you think here afterwards.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #49

I posted this thread a few months ago about a TSB issued for the Girard Tankless Water Heater. The dealer replaced the 2 solenoids. Never had a problem since.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...ion-39525.html
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerhard View Post
Hi Jon,

Since I boon-dock a lot, I opted to replace the "thankless" water heater with a Suburban tanked. The 6 gallon fits in the same hole, and with the electric heater option, it "almost" acts like a tankless. I'm a happy camper now.
Our dealer swapped out our original Girard for the Suburban 6-gallon water heater. The Girard was a constant problem, but we've not had a moments trouble with the Suburban.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #51

For the people that swapped their Girard for the 6 gallons tank heater, would Jayco not let you put in the rest of money to get the bigger 10 gallon tank heater when they were swapping? Bummer if not, that's what I was thinking about trying

2017 Jayco North Point 377 RLBH
2016 Ford F350 Platinum White DRW
NitroStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #52

I didn't even try to get them to cover the replacement. I wanted it replaced ASAP so I could get on with using the rig. And actually I didn't even realize until later on (after reading some threads here on the subject) that they would cover a replacement.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStar View Post
For the people that swapped their Girard for the 6 gallons tank heater, would Jayco not let you put in the rest of money to get the bigger 10 gallon tank heater when they were swapping? Bummer if not, that's what I was thinking about trying
I didn't do it - but I think I recall the people saying the Atwood 6 gallon was a nice fit.

The Girard is: 15.5 x 22.5 x 12.5 inches

Looking at the Atwood brochure, the 10 gallon units are: 15 3/4 x 15 3/4 by 19 3/ inches.

Looks to me like you'd be doing some major cutting to get the 10 gallon in there.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #54

The 6 gallon Suburban is a direct fit in the cutout with a bit of plumbing, electrical, and gas line work. I would rather have gone with Atwood, but I went for the least invasive job.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
The 6 gallon Suburban is a direct fit in the cutout with a bit of plumbing, electrical, and gas line work.
This was true on our FK. And since Jayco was doing it as a warranty item I was not going to complain. DW and I have camped with two grandkids along and the six gallon water heater was fine for our Navy showers.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #56

I had forgot it was the Suburban - I usually just think of Atwood. Sorry!.

But - Oh My Lord - Cats and Dogs Living together, the End of Time As We Know It:

Suburban is going tankless too:
On Demand Water Heater | Airxel

pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #57

My 377RLBH has the electric water heater plug already rigged up beside the Girard and a separate breaker in panel. The hard work has already been done in my rig.
We are still using our Girard. We stay at full hookups so there is not a problem with the grey tanks filling up too fast but good grief, I bet they would if I closed the gate valves!

2017 Jayco North Point 377 RLBH
2016 Ford F350 Platinum White DRW
NitroStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #58

Mine quit working last week on my 2017 Greyhawk MV. Calls to the dealer and Girard tech support were of no help, so I tried tapping the solenoid as described above. It worked! I now have hot water.
Thank you for posting this 0and2.
I'm thinking of how to rig up a remote controlled solenoid banger-tapper in case the heater fails when I am in the shower.
leeinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #59
Jon

I had my Girard gen 3 replaced this week with a Truma Aqua Go, Comfort model. The Truma is absolutely great! It has a small ~ 1/3 gallon tank coupled with on-demand, so the hot water is available instantly just like with a tank heater and it never runs out. It heats hotter than the Girard (120 degrees) and the temperature is constant and doesn't go cold if you turn it off and back on. I'm finally very happy with the hot water in my rig! The dealer said they have done 15-20 Truma aftermarket replacements, mostly for Girards, and all of the customers have been happy with Truma. They also asked me what I wanted to do with the old Girard unit and I said just get it out of my sight so that experience can fade into history!
Old 03-18-2017, 05:21 PM   #60

I managed to get $300 for my Gen 2 Girard on Craigs list. However, I doubt it was going into an RV. Cost me a bit more than that to replace it with a usable water heater though.

Yeah, I've heard good things about the Truma elsewhere also. Nice to know.