Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #111
So finally finished a long ride home, some 1600 miles and can say for sure that adjusting the helliwigs made a big improvement in handling and also not allowing the rear suspension to bottom out.

Much less sawing at the wheel and most semis went by with little notice.

Now to look at installing the 5Star tune.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #112
Finally looked at making this adjustment to our coach. I noticed a potential problem. Our helper springs are offset forward nearly 4". This puts the front of the helper spring almost in contact with the spring hanger. I'm afraid that after the adjustment, the helper spring will be so close that it may contact the spring hanger. Has anyone else's looked like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Brian, Mary, kids, beagle - Moose, and mutt - Maggie.
2012 Greyhawk 31FS
2013 Ford Explorer Toad
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #113
Adjusting it down I think would definitely move it further away from the spring hanger. I don't see a problem.
bustrbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #114
Sorry to muddy everything up, but I just got off the phone with Kevin at Hellwig. He says the absolute max you can adjust them to is 2". I believe he meant to say "the least", because he went on to say that anywhere from 3"-4" is fine if it rides ok and doesn't bottom-out.
Brian, Mary, kids, beagle - Moose, and mutt - Maggie.
2012 Greyhawk 31FS
2013 Ford Explorer Toad
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #115
Yes. That is exactly what mine liked like. When you tighten them down the arch bows them into recess of leaf spring mount. You may have to trim the rear sway bar side of the u bolt. Remember when they flex once almost flattened out they will actually being to shorten in length as the bow upward with suspension flex.
Great Scott, 2.141 Gigawatts. Take that lightning with your 1.21.
Greyhawk 31 FS
fam cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #116
Kevin at hellig told me same last year and someone at Jayco said they left their facility after inspection. Even though moryde puts them on..mine are close to 4" and ride seems good with 40 pieces of wood...left tbis issue alone a while ago
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #117
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
We just put the Greyhawk into the shop at our local Jayco dealer to take care of our list of items accumulated since we bought it in August. This was on the list:

The Jayco Owners Forum has a recent thread about Hellwig helper springs being incorrectly installed on many Greyhawks. The thread link is:
Please verify with Jayco and/or Hellwig that the helper springs on the Greyhawk are adjusted to the proper heights for maximum load support.
When we get the Greyhawk back, I will post the results.
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
NC Roamer, please let us know your results. How much are you planning to have them adjusted??

Also a slight correction, they ARE installed correctly, just not adjusted for the load.
Finally got the Greyhawk back from the dealer. (Yes, it was in their shop for three months.) The work order states:

"Tech talked with Jayco and they stated for this application based on weight loaded on the axle that the provided measurements on the spring system all is correct. The system could be tightened up but this would result in more preloading of the suspension and affect the driveability of the coach causing wagging when going down the road."

So they did not adjust my springs, but they did say that they would if I insisted. I told them to leave it as is for now. We have not used it all that much and, as this is our first motorhome, have no other driving experience with which to compare. But I must admit, it seems to drive well considering the size of the darned thing. We've never bottomed out and it does not wander all over the road.

Also, the one time I put it on some CAT scales, the rear axle was nowhere near GAWR but the front was 140 pounds over. It may be that the 31FKs with the front kitchen do not have as much weight on the rear, so my spring settings may be okay. We will use it this season, and I'll weight it again, and then I can reconsider the springs next winter.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #118
2015 White Hawk 20MRB
2011 F150 Non EcoBoost (5.0)
Andersen Hitch
Murff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:51 PM   #119
my springs are at about 3 inches on my 2015 29k red hawk, there is a second set of shakes in the middle behind the rear wheels, and 1 in front, the middle one is adjusted at about 1 inch, dealer said this was fine but he will keep and eye on it or let me know if anyone has a problem, have almost 10,000 miles with no problems, i had a class a with no helwig springs e450 no problems on stock ford springs, my real question are these really needed most class c do not have these, also the question someone had about the water lines against the springs, they are actually drain lines for something
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:19 AM   #120
Does anybody know what Jayco has done about this ? My 2015 Greyhawk Hellwigs' are also not installed correctly according to this thread.

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31 DS
2009 Jeep Wrangler X
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote