Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #211
Weight Distribution

Like Brandysdad... I took my rig to the scales recently. I was very surprised by the numbers. I was 5000 lbs on the front Axel and 9600 lbs on the rear. So I was maxed out on the front and overweight on the rears.

I did have 5 people and a Golden retriever on board so there was some extra weight between the axels. But I was astounded how high my weights were. That was fuel tanks full and 1/3 tank fresh water.

Knowing I was over on the rears I set to remove some weight and redistribute other items. My goal was to remove the weight from the back storage compartment and either take it off completely or redistribute it forward. Considering how far forward the rear wheels are and the fulcrum that creates with the rear storage compartment any weight moved should have a significant impact. I took about 150 lbs off the trailer and moved another 100lbs forward between the axels... The biggest item being my 100ft of 30amp extension cord.

What a huge difference. I immediately noticed an improvement in driving. I have done two trips since making the moves and the whole rig now feels significantly more grounded. It no longer wandered in the lane and steering input is vastly improved.

I may still look at the springs at some point. But following this experience I would encourage anyone experiencing similar problems to head to the scales and see if you need to reconsider some of your packing options.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:58 AM   #212
I've never delt with weighing b4. Do you deal with a human or computer? Will it automatically give you axil weight and what effect will your toad have on the weight?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #213
Your toad will have little to do with axle weight. The added weight to the axle will be the weight of the toad's hitch, even then your toad will share part of that hitch weight. Your concern should be the towing capacity of your unit. Hopes this helps.

brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote