Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #21

Thanks!
snease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #22

Do i need to get a CDL to haul a Jayco 38?
Old 02-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by snease View Post
Do i need to get a CDL to haul a Jayco 38?
No, you are a private non-commercial hauler.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #24

Cool
Old 03-04-2017, 12:15 AM   #25

Ford has made a lot of those engines overview the years. I would hope they have any bugs worked out by now. Before I purchased mine I talked to service managers in several different Ford shops (not the selling dealer) and they all said they see very few service issues with those engines or transmissions. They said not to expect much in the way of fuel economy and they were right about that.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #26

I have had my v10 for about 3 years now and have had no issues with the motor. Gas mileage is terrible but I have had no issues. The biggest worry I have ever had was going up the mountain roads. Seemed to run up about 3500 RPM. I was told that was normal. But overall I love it.
Jaakkandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #27

Any place where I can learn Jayco acronyms ? a la RBS, RKS, BHSH , LGBT...etc etc would help to separate one unit from another quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
This link may help with the acronyms and abbreviations!
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...nyms-2676.html

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #28

on my way to pick one up sight unseen this weekend. how do you like yours so far? How was your experience at LaMesa?
gabe7924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #29

Thought I would just throw in my two cents worth on the V-10, I live in Oregon (Eastern), have lived and played in the mountains all my life, and owned an auto parts store & a complete engine machine shop as well as a 6 bay auto shop. We specialized in engine rebuilds for motorhomes. I have since sold out and retired and own a 26SS Jayco E-450 motorhome with the V-10 and love everything about it. Mileage is descent, runs efficiently,
power is great and I love the use of the transmission gears in the mountains for up hills and especially down hills which the tow/haul mode is responsible for. People use the brakes & the top gear (Overdrive) far too much. DON'T RIDE THE BRAKES TO THE BOTTOM OF THE HILL! Leave in tow haul tap the brake enough to let the engine compression slow you down. The same is true for climbing hills, again use tow haul, it will do the shifting necessary to keep up enough RPM'S to run the engine cooler and also the speed to go to the top.Some of the older V-*'s from the past overheated, blew out manifolds (cracked) and over run the RPM's until they would literally blow up engines. the V-10 had some manifold problems as well & I bought mine used with the Banks exhaust system & chip already installed so it either had a problem so can't answer how much that helped. But I love my V-10 it does a wonderful job in my Oregon mountains, but control your foot, watch your gauges and you will do fine.
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #30

Very true about riding the brakes. My wife came down a (by comparison) small and short descent from Gunnison. By the time we were down, the brake smell woke me up in the back of the motorhome.

Lesson learned.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #31

2008 Greyhawk 31SS with no problems. But only had 13,450 miles on her so probably never really broken in. Traded her this past Fall.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:23 AM   #32

I hauled a ten-foot utility trailer loaded to the gills over the mountain in NC on my move from PA to FL three times and used the cruise control to avoid riding the brake downhill. I learned from the Jayco dealer and several folks on this forum that the towing gears in the RV are much preferable to using cruise control so I will be doing that instead. Thanks for the advice. We head out on our second two-day trip tomorrow to get a feel for hauling and maneuvering the trailer with the motorcycle, two bicycles, and two kayaks into the state park campsite.
susan34982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #33

We have 18,000+ miles on our 2011 Greyhawk V10, trouble free. Living where we do, we have lots of mountain driving and use the tow/haul feature climbing and descending. Wouldn't want it any other way. Just a great package.
fidalgo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #34

Our 2012 Greyhawk just rolled 65,000 mile. We bought it used and there was no record of any issues prior to us buying it. While I was shopping for the coach I looked at a Class Cs with well over 125k on it. My plan for them was an immediate engine and tranny swap. Unfortunately upon closer inspection it had a water leak in the wall of the bunk slide out and was over all very abused on the inside. Things you couldn't see in pictures. The Greyhawk we ended up buying was a single owner that traded up for a $400k+ bus. They took very good care of it. I did my first oil change on it the other day and the oil looked almost new. I changed the generator oil at the same time and it was the same. If you take care for these engine and don't ride them to hard. They should get you 100k+ easy.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #35

We have 2016 Greyhawk 31DS and tow a Honda CRV. Only issue we have had is the down shifting on hills and the engine seems to be very loud. This is especially when using cruise. Resolution was advice we received from others that the 5Star reprogramming of the computer would eliminate these issues and give us a little better mileage. Bit the bullet and did this and wow what a world of difference. The only thing it did not resolve was the down shifting when in cruise control. Simple solution for us is we don't use it. Our mileage increased by about 10%.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroga View Post
We have 2016 Greyhawk 31DS and tow a Honda CRV. Only issue we have had is the down shifting on hills and the engine seems to be very loud. This is especially when using cruise. Resolution was advice we received from others that the 5Star reprogramming of the computer would eliminate these issues and give us a little better mileage. Bit the bullet and did this and wow what a world of difference. The only thing it did not resolve was the down shifting when in cruise control. Simple solution for us is we don't use it. Our mileage increased by about 10%.
Nice ! Does yours have the 5 speed or 6 speed?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:20 AM   #37

Caroga. I have the same issue. I think I have a 5 speed, maybe the later models are six and that might help. It seems when I go up a grade with cruise "on" it really wants to maintain the speed and will just keep downshifting to maintain speed, and that makes the engine rev too fast in my opinion. I have just got to where I can recognize when it's about to shift down for like the third time and when it gets close, I just click off the cruise and let it slow down. I have read many comments in here that not to worry, those engines are made to rev up, but it just doesn't seem right to me. I also see people passing me, going up a fairly steep grade.. i'm slowed down to 45 and they go racing by at 70. Similar size rig, clearly one with the V-10, and probably 5 speed auto, so they must be almost on red line.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:16 AM   #38
TLC

I never use Cruise Control mainly for that reason. It's not intuitive enough to see that pending hill climb or how steep it is. If my foot's in-charge I get a bit of a running start and keep my foot in it enough to hopefully avoid the gear-drop.
My new rig has the 6 speed tranny and it's probably not much better. Haven't had it out yet to try.
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #39

Did you buy the Envoy? We bought the 32' Envoy 100 and so far we have no issues with the E 450 - average about 9mpg pulling our jeep.
Flounder67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #40

We did buy the 2018 Envoy 100

It seems that every time we take the RV on a road trip, short or long, we come home with a problem. The latest was the slideout step making a gronking noise as it retracted. It took 1-1/2 months to get an appointment at LaMesa in Port St. Lucie to look at it and almost a week for them to move it from the parking lot to the garage to check it out. They replaced the motor for the step for free under the warranty. However, the truck battery kept running down so it wouldn't start even with the auxiliary button. LaMesa swears on one side of the mouth that the truck battery is not connected to anything in the house, and from the other side of the mouth says the truck battery engages the step to retract it automatically when the truck engine starts so we don't drive off with the step out. Oy.

Since LaMesa won't touch the truck part, we took the RV to St. Lucie Automotive to check out the battery issue and they've had it for two weeks and it starts every time for them. They still have it, and I'm planning to retrieve it on Monday so I can pack for our three-day weekend trip and hope we don't have any more electrical issues.

What scares me is we're planning to go cross country for 1-1/2 months in June-July and I KNOW/FEAR that something else is going to go wrong. We've only got 8200 miles on the RV so it's barely broken in and shouldn't have so many issues so early in its life.

I'm tempted to sell it after we come back in July and wash my hands of this problem child I've nicknamed The Money Pit.
susan34982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine reliability, ford e-450, towing mountains