Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #11

Fingerlakes, I was hoping someone with a Pinnacle with a Generator would respond. I am about to do the hardwire install in mine and just wanted to confirm the incoming electric wasn't going somewhere else first before it gets to the transfer switch. Would have been nice if the power didn't have to run the length of the trailer before getting to the switch. Even if it kicks off there is still that hot feed all the way there.
Did you use 6 gauge wire for the connection from the EMS to the transfer switch?

Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #12

My suggestion is don't hard wire a surge protector......I did last year and it failed in Mexico. Progressive Dynamics unit failed on one leg, not the pedestal issue. had to get an electrician to splice the #6 wires together with crimped connectors. Cost a fortune to fix. I will never hard wire again.......pedestal only for me.

2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg 6 AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...albums843.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #13

No hard wire for us either.

We like portable (moveable) things like our Pathway X2 Sat dish, our Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C and of course our rig among other things.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
My suggestion is don't hard wire a surge protector......I did last year and it failed in Mexico. Progressive Dynamics unit failed on one leg, not the pedestal issue. had to get an electrician to splice the #6 wires together with crimped connectors. Cost a fortune to fix. I will never hard wire again.......pedestal only for me.

My biggest concern was that the power would still be hot the entire length of the trailer until to the transfer switch in the front cargo area. Would only take 10 minutes to pull the shore power out of the EMS and put it right back into the transfer switch where it's located. Did you have any other damage other than the EMS?
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #15

Spanky!-as far as I could tell the power goes straight to the transfer switch. I used #6/4 wire for the short piece I had to use as a "filler". Like you say- it wouldn't be very hard to jump back over to the original wiring if needed. I didn't want the portable device as they are not waterproof and could possibly be stolen. I ran the wire for the remote read out device up behind the converter (had to pull the converter out a little) and then out of the corner of the switch plate for the ceiling fan. I can see the read out from most anywhere in the lower living area making it very convenient. Also, I turned off ALL power sources before doing any work. No room for oops!
Old 08-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlakes View Post
I didn't want the portable device as they are not waterproof and could possibly be stolen.
Well this from Progressive;

"Weather Resistant: Unit can be exposed to the elements, however, may not be submerged."

We don't plan on "submerging" our unit. Ours has been in all kinds of weather including heavy rain, thunderstorms, snow, strong winds, sand storms....you get the idea.

This also from their website;

"Built-In Locking Bracket:
Allows the user to secure the EMS to power source to prevent theft."

As far as being worried about someone stealing it there are ways we lock it to the pedestal but usually do not worry about it so not a good excuse in our opinion.

Oh...if we ever do decide to move to a new rig no problem bringing our portable EMS along.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
Why didn't the bypass feature work?
Old 08-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Why didn't the bypass feature work?

I didn't have a bypass feature
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg 6 AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
My biggest concern was that the power would still be hot the entire length of the trailer until to the transfer switch in the front cargo area. Would only take 10 minutes to pull the shore power out of the EMS and put it right back into the transfer switch where it's located. Did you have any other damage other than the EMS?
No
Old 08-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #20
Site Team

I have a buddy who put 50a plugs on his hardwired unit to allow it to be bypassed just in case.

I like my portable.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote