Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #1

Factory 5th wheel prep package

Good day. Sorry if there is another post on this. I did not find one.

Some of these new trucks offer from the factory, a 5th wheel prep package. I'm new to the 5th wheel set up and not sure if this is a bonus, or just a waist of money.

Anyone in the know have an opinion if the factory installed 5th wheel prep package is a favorable option? Any props/cons to having this factory option? Is there any savings down the road having this option? With this option, I guess you just drop a hitch in and go? No aftermarket installation of hardware?

I've also seen some folks put a goose neck adapter on their king pin and tow using the goose neck set up. Any opinions as to why folks use this method? Any pros/cons compared to towing with a conventional 5th wheel hitch. Specifically with a short truck box configuration. Is this advisable with a short bed?

Thank you for any feedback.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #2

The next truck that I buy will definitely have the factory setup. You can either use the factory pucks as long as you buy your hitch that is designed for that connection. I intend on using the fifth wheel ball and Andersen ultimate hitch which locks its base over the gooseneck ball. I don't think the goose neck adapter is the way that I would go. Most manufacturers will void the warranty if you use the gooseneck adapter system. It puts a different stress on the frame. The Anderson Ultimate uses a ball as the pivot point but works exactly like any other 5th wheel hitch. I like the idea of getting the bed completely free instead of having rails that are always there. I now use a rail mounted Pullrite hitch which works fine as long as you can hook up and unhook straight with the truck. Also the hitch weighs a couple hundred lbs. I WILL buy the factory set up on the next truck.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #3

Not sure about FORD & DODGE, but with CHEV/GMC you can't get a spray in bed liner with the factory hitch. Had it been available with the spray in bed liner option I would have gotten the factory hitch.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #4

I have a 2012 f350 ccsb with the factory 5th wheel package, I bought the hensley adaptor plate and a curt q 20 hitch, whats nice about the adaptor plate alot of hitches will fit it, and it comes out easy with no bars bolted to your truck bed when you do not need it, the only way to go.
gowesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #5

We have a '13 F350 short bed. The underbed prep is convenient. The spray in liner is not a problem (LineX). However it does limit your hitch choices. I bought the B&W which I really like. BUT! I learned the hard way that i shoulda got a slider. I think there are a couple of sliders available for use with the prep mount now but for now I'll just be careful in the tight turns.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #6

That is not what the GMC DEALER TOLD ME.
casalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by casalzer View Post
Maybe they finally got smart. It wasn't last year when I ordered mine.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Sorry, which part.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 07-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #9

The Goose Box by Reese that replaces the 5th wheel pin box is the best solution. It does not void the Lippert warranty on the frame. I will never go back to a 5th wheel hitch because I use my truck for other uses. The goose ball hitch is much more stable than a 5th wheel hitch, it doesn't take up your bed and with the shocks and air bag ride, it rides and pulls better.
gaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #10

Factory tow trailer prep on my Dodge 3500 is the best! Got the Curt Q20 for the Ram pucks. 20 mins to assemble the hitch and 5 mins to drop it in the pucks, adjust the levers and latch them up. In and out now will be a 2 min operation. My truck is a long bed so I'm no help with the slider issue.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #11

The spray on liner
casalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #12

I have a 2015 F350, came with 5th wheel prep and I like it. I also had the Linex bed liner done after purchase. Ford does offer factory spray in liner and 5th wheel prep, mine did not have the liner. I have a Curt Q20, it has worked flawlessly.
Curt Q20 Hitch. Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Air bags. Airlift Wireless One compressor.
cgbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
The spray on liner
Maybe that's unique to GMC. My hitch has no problems at all with the liner.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 07-31-2015, 02:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
The next truck that I buy will definitely have the factory setup. You can either use the factory pucks as long as you buy your hitch that is designed for that connection. I intend on using the fifth wheel ball and Andersen ultimate hitch which locks its base over the gooseneck ball. I don't think the goose neck adapter is the way that I would go. Most manufacturers will void the warranty if you use the gooseneck adapter system. It puts a different stress on the frame. The Anderson Ultimate uses a ball as the pivot point but works exactly like any other 5th wheel hitch. I like the idea of getting the bed completely free instead of having rails that are always there. I now use a rail mounted Pullrite hitch which works fine as long as you can hook up and unhook straight with the truck. Also the hitch weighs a couple hundred lbs. I WILL buy the factory set up on the next truck.
Man this hitch looks pretty sweet. I've read up on it since you posted this, and watched their youtube videos. MOST folks who use them really really like them. And only 30lbs! I'm looking at a Ram mega cab short bed. Wonder how it would work...
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Maybe that's unique to GMC. My hitch has no problems at all with the liner.
It wasn't that it caused a problem, they just didn't offer both as a factory option last year.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:04 PM   #16

My Ram came with the bedliner and tow package. All work well together.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #17

Ordered my 2015 RAM 2500 with the 5th wheel/gooseneck factory prep and the factory spray in bedliner. Very happy with both!!! Fast and easy to remove my Curt Q20 hitch when I need an empty bed. Its a long bed so cant comment on slider hitches.
2son5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboy View Post
Good day. Sorry if there is another post on this. I did not find one.

Some of these new trucks offer from the factory, a 5th wheel prep package. I'm new to the 5th wheel set up and not sure if this is a bonus, or just a waist of money.

Anyone in the know have an opinion if the factory installed 5th wheel prep package is a favorable option? Any props/cons to having this factory option? Is there any savings down the road having this option? With this option, I guess you just drop a hitch in and go? No aftermarket installation of hardware?

I've also seen some folks put a goose neck adapter on their king pin and tow using the goose neck set up. Any opinions as to why folks use this method? Any pros/cons compared to towing with a conventional 5th wheel hitch. Specifically with a short truck box configuration. Is this advisable with a short bed?

Thank you for any feedback.
While I'd like a factory prep FW base, I have a GN trailer I tow, so will always stick with the B&W Turnover Ball base and Companion FW hitch. Also, most mfrs will void the frame warranty if you use a GN adapter in place of a true FW hitch. The GooseBox isn't universally accepted, from what I've read elsewhere. FWIW, B&W does make OEM FW prep hitches for all the Big 3 trucks.

Lyle
LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #19

On the GooseBox, once you own or experience pulling with one, you will not go back to a 5th wheel setup. The only negative thing I can say about the Goose is that you really got to get a feel for aligning the hitch to the ball. Leaving the RV park today, one of my friends that I helped install his GooseBox, left the park and pulled his rig for the first time since we installed it last month. He called and told me that his rig had never pulled that good with his 5th wheel hitch.
gaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #20

I cannot find were GM offers a factory 5th wheel prep package. I have been looking on a lot of dealers lots.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote