Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

BAL Auto Level 5.3

For those of you looking for information regarding the BAL Auto Level 5.3 that Jayco is now installing on TT's, I uploaded information on this system in the Manuals section found here:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/do...?do=file&id=56

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #2

Thanks, I ordered the Whitehawk 24mbh today with it so we'll see how it works when the camper arrives in April.
vanspragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanspragg View Post
Thanks, I ordered the Whitehawk 24mbh today with it so we'll see how it works when the camper arrives in April.
Awesome! We ordered it too. Can't wait to try it out!

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
Old 02-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #4

Nice Find oldnew. I have emailed BAL twice and got no response from them.

I will be interested in "real use" reviews of the BAL system.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
Nice Find oldnew. I have emailed BAL twice and got no response from them.

I will be interested in "real use" reviews of the BAL system.
I'll be sure to post a real use review after we try it out! Hoping for the best!

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

Old 02-15-2017, 11:44 PM   #6

We are also ordering a Whitehawk 24mbh, probably tomorrow! My husband seems to think the auto leveler only works for the back jacks?? I assumed the tongue jack would work as well. Any thoughts on this? Its been hard to find information on it! I had already read the owners manual that was posted above, but it still wasn't very clear to me.
saraharomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:24 AM   #7

I really wish they made it like the fifth wheel auto level with 4 or 6 point rams.
The front relies on the tounge jack to raise and lower and has stabilizers, the rear has the real fifth wheel type rams. I hate the fact that the tongue jack is the brains of the whole operation, instead of having a control board in a door like a fifth wheel. The tongue jack is completely exposed to the elements.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #8

I read it as being leveled by the tongue jack and 2 jacks in the back. Once level, I believe the 2 front stabilizers drop. I asked BAL if they had any videos of it working and I got a no. The only thing out on this product is the user manual. I think I prefer the Ground Control TT but it isn't an option for the Jayco I ordered and won't be available after market until this fall.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #9

Quote:
I read it as being leveled by the tongue jack and 2 jacks in the back. Once level, I believe the 2 front stabilizers drop. I asked BAL if they had any videos of it working and I got a no. The only thing out on this product is the user manual. I think I prefer the Ground Control TT but it isn't an option for the Jayco I ordered and won't be available after market until this fall.
Wholeheartly agree with you....I was going to order the self leveling system but the lack of information steered me away from it. If you were marketing a product seems like you would be putting literature and videos out there in a effort to sell your product. I had even spoke with a product salesman from BAL and he didnt want to share much info because its development was "secret". I dont know how you market something if it is so secret that you can't share any info. I really liked the Lippert Ground Control TT and would not have hesitate to purchase it had it been an option.
rwshelburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #10

I can understand your point. I'm a sucker for new options though and couldn't resist! This will most likely be the camper we will have for the next decade so I wanted to give it a try. My thinking is I could always throw on some manual jacks if I really didn't like the new auto level. If I didn't add the factory option, I would most likely never add it aftermarket. Another reason I ordered it is because I had to setup several times last season in the pouring rain at night. Would have been real nice to have auto level during those times!

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #11

And as far as getting information on the system, I simply contacted my Jayco rep and he forwarded the manual to me within 2 days.

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

Old 02-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #12

Quote:
After actually seeing the BAL system installed on another 330RSTS Eagle, I came away with the same impression of a 3 point leveling system, with a smaller stabilizer than the standard Lippert ones, tossed in for good measure in an attempt to create a sturdy "triangular" base up front.

But the simple lack of independent "leveling jacks" up front on BOTH sides, raises a number of concerns with me in regards to how well it would hold up/perform on a trailer as large as my Eagle 330RSTS.

The stabilizers BAL uses are not only smaller in stance width wise and mounted much further forward that the stock Lippert ones I already have, they don't appear to be as "beefy" either. But even with that said, they are basically a standard electric stabilizer that isn't capable of "leveling". So that leaves the two jacks in the back to level side to side and the tongue jack to level front to back. Seeing my Eagle is almost 40 ft. in length, can you say "frame flex"?

With that said, looks can be deceiving and one would hope that Jayco did some actual evaluations on this system on each model TT they offered them on, then chose this system over the Ground Control TT system and others, based on it's merits and performance? So I will be eager to hear "real world" reviews for those that use it.

I also will be waiting on the Ground Control TT system when it becomes available aftermarket and in the meantime, keeping an eye out for any FR trailers that have it installed to get a close up look at it as well.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwshelburne View Post
I had even spoke with a product salesman from BAL and he didnt want to share much info because its development was "secret". I dont know how you market something if it is so secret that you can't share any info. I really liked the Lippert Ground Control TT and would not have hesitate to purchase it had it been an option.
Explains why my emails to both Jayco and BAL went unanswered when I inquired about the system after seeing it at the Tampa RV show back in January and couldn't find a single thing mentioned on the interwebs about it. But now that there are actual trailers out there with the system installed, they had to start providing information about it.

I could understand the secrecy if it was the "next big thing" in regards to leveling systems on a travel trailer, but it is anything but from what I saw.

BAL is using standard electric jacks in the rear, a standard tongue jack design with a "smart head" attached, and a small set of electric stabilizer jacks tossed in. My guess is that BAL decided to just put together a simple, uncomplicated, and inexpensive system with off the shelf parts instead of reinventing the wheel or spending much time on actual design. Is that a good thing? Maybe. But again, why all the secrecy? Were they afraid many would come away unimpressed like I did and just not give it a chance?

For me, my disappointment in missing the availability of this by just a week or two when our Eagle was built, is now just a distant memory. Not so much because it doesn't really offer anything new or inventive, but rather because I just don't think that system will hold up OR perform very well on my almost 40 ft. 11,000# Eagle, especially with nothing more in front than a tongue jack and a smaller set of stabilizers than I already have. Hopefully, it will perform better in "real world" use than it looks. Because as I was walking away after first seeing it, I immediately started singing a Shania Twain song in my head...........

"That don't impress me much".

So, in the meantime, I will be keeping an eye out for other manufacturer's trailers that ARE offering the Ground Control TT system from the factory to get a feel for it before the aftermarket kits from Lippert become available.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #14

I am actually comfortable with the rear jacks leveling side to side while pivoting on the front tongue jack. There is very little frame flex since the load is essentially only pivoting on the front jack. After side to side and front to back leveling is done, the front stabilizers are deployed equalizing load on the frame in front. I really don't see where frame flex would be an issue.

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

Old 02-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #15

Here is the information that I found on BALs website:

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
readytocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #16

Us "early adopters" will be your guinea pigs. Historically, travel trailers are leveled using 3 points using tires and tongue jack anyway. The stabilizers are purely intended for stabilizing anyway so I'm not too worried about that. You'd hope that Jayco looked at both systems before selecting one. The reviews for the Ground Control versions for 5th wheels don't look to spectacular either. Maybe it's just a matter of better marketing.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #17

Here's a pic of the system on our 28DSBH that came last week. System looks to be pretty solid. The only thing I didn't like is the control head cover on the tongue jack is flimsy. Functional, but flimsy. Other than that, it appears to be built very well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2796.jpg  

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

Old 02-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #18

And for anyone in the WNY area who wants to see one in person, this trailer will be on the lot soon for sale as a stock unit at Buffalo RV. They screwed up the order on this one and missed a few options so we declined it and are reordering another 28DSBH which will be due to arrive in early May. This trailer has the auto level, solid surface counter, 5 way remote, 30 lb. propane tanks, glacier package, additional power roof vent, 15k air conditioner upgrade, Goodyear tires, front molded cap. It made the trip to the dealer a few weeks ago during nice weather so it has not had a road salt bath either. Frame and underneath is very clean. It's a $37,000 trailer. We agreed to pay $25,000.....so anyone interested, there's the numbers you can work with... you're welcome.

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

Old 02-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #19

In case anyone is interested, here is the sticker..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2797.jpg  

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

Old 02-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #20

So the BAL 5.3 really does exist! Any chance you got to give it a whirl? Did it have enough stroke in the jacks to level without dropping the feet? The tech I talked with at BAL said you shouldn't need to drop them most times. Sorry your camper wasn't right. That really stinks!