Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #1
Dealer prep

Ok guys, researching toward our first trailer. From what I've seen it looks like 35% off MSRP is a realistic target. I was looking at the tags on some units today at a dealer, they tagged on $1800 destination fee plus almost $1200 for dealer prep. My experience with cars and bikes is that destination fees are just a fact of life, but dealer prep is BS, I've never paid it. What's typical in the trailer/rv world?

Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #2
I've never paid dealer prep!

2010 Jayco Hybrid EXP21M
2013 Toureg TDI
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:27 AM   #3
Site Team
My rig had a dealer prep figure of $250.on the sales invoice. By the time we got thru negotiating the actual sales price, It did not bother me.

When we came to pick the unit up, it was clean, full of propane and 2 new batteries. It has power water and was sitting at the side door. Everything was on and working so someone has been over the unit pretty good. The salesman went over operation of everything in and out that we needed to know.

We found a few minor things that were corrected before we left.

So long story is I don't have a clue what the $250 was for but it was not a major concern.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:47 AM   #4
I just feel like it's their job as a retailer to inspect before delivery. Even if you agree that they should get paid for prep, $1200 in labor...come on, BS. In the grand scheme of things I could eat $250, but I'd still gripe about it.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #5
Pretty much all dealers today, car, boat, RV, charge some sort of prep fee. There are no rules around this so fees can range from $50 to hundreds. My dealer charged something $125. Not too bad. The 2 car dealers I like, they charge around $100. $1200? I'd walk away.
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #6
$250.00 is about average, and that includes installing (and testing) all of the stuff that is still in boxes from the factory, washing, vacuuming, filling the propane and water tanks, de-winterizing, etc. IMHO, well worth it.
The Logan's
2016 Redhawk 26XD
Me, Dear Wife,
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #7
I don't have an issue with a reasonable dealer prep charge. Afterall, they have to install a battery w/ battery box and have to fill the propane tanks. Some also include a RV starter kit. They also have to spend some time making sure the factory did their job and assembled the trailer correctly. They also have to install the television(s) as they come in boxes from the factory. As do the tire covers and tank covers if the unit has them. Some dealers will also help you set up your hitch package at no additional charge. These things aren't included in the factory's MSRP from which we all think we should be able to deduct 35% for our purchase price.

Considering a lot of the dealers are small, family owned businesses there often isn't room to include these things for no additional cost to the purchase price (remember, we already talked them down 35%). They have to cover their overheads plus make a profit (btw, profit is not a dirty word) in order to stay open so that they can do service work (including warranty) for us when we have an issue.

While I'm on my rant, let's consider how hard it is to find good RV technicians. They have to be part carpenter, electrician, HVAC and plumber. They also have to have experience with propane systems. Not an easy combination to find and when you do they can't be cheap. Use the term manometer to most 20 somethings and they are going to think you made the word up.

I digress, back to the topic at hand.

Having said all of that, if I am going to pay for them to go through the trailer, they had better find and fix most issues before I ever get there.

As for $1200, that's crazy. Unless they are having the unit professionally detailed inside and out. I'm talking blowing all the sawdust out of the A/C and heater ducts, the cabinets, cleaning everything inside and out and waxing the darn thing. Even then it is high in my opinion.

Rant over.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
I don't mind a dealer prep if the prep is actually done! When we picked our trailer up last year I went back and got part of the prep fee refunded. Every cabinet had wood shavings from the manufacturing process where holes were drilled. Basically with mine they rinsed it off added the batter and filled the gas tanks. The difference between a dealer and a great dealer is in the details!!!
2015 Jayco 24 FBS
2015 Silverado 1500 5.3L 342 rear
Blue Ox WDH
FashaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #9
Only our first TT was bought new and I didn't care what they called items on the sales contract, I focused on the out the door price.

I didn't get 35% off MSRP out the door, but is did get close to 30% off the Jayco build sheet MSRP, which matched the online MSRP.
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #10
Dealer prep fee??? I have never paid one.. that should come out of the purchase price.. I mean that is why they have their markup right?

2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
140 days boondocking in 2016
211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote