Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #21

Thanks for all the advice. We bought the trailer today and pick it up in 2 weeks. I will only be towing it an hour away home for the first few trips and will definitely be going to the scales a few times to weigh before I go. I will be looking for a new truck this fall so I'm ready for bigger trips next summer.

toddfrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:23 AM   #22

Congrats!!!!

As you know just keep in mind how you load and get a good wdh with integrated sway control.

Not sure what the dealer may be selling/including, but I would highly suggest at minimum the Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, or Equal-I-Zer 4 way system. All three are very good for the price without spending the big money on a Hensley or Pro Pride system.

And once the trailer is loaded you will probably need to readjust the wdh. The dealer is only setting it up for an empty trailer. If needed, follow my signature links for a ton of wdh.

Make sure to air the rear tires up to the max cold sidewall pressure. And play with the fronts to see what feels the best. I can't remember what front psi I was using with the stock tires.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeneck View Post
All of the information listed is valid and good info. Many members on here pull TT's having similar weight with 1/2 ton pickups, myself included. You are pushing the limits of the truck but many do it and have had no problems. If you are pulling as a part time recreational camper, you'll probably be OK. I think most of us don't want to go spend $40-$60 grand on a new truck. If you're full timing it, I would get a larger truck. My .02
Totally agree and you have summed up the ?? quite well. There is a big difference between a part time recreational camper and a full timer. Pulling your rig a few times each year to a near by state park or the occasional longer trip to the Smokies vs the other end of the spectrum will trigger a different answer to the op's question about a 1/2 ton's capabilities.

A good Wdh and careful loading and "do I need it or should I buy it when we arrive at our destination" will bring your new TT and 150 well into the OK window for safe and comfortable towing. Enjoy your new TT.
Bassdogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #24

We pull our 27RLS 31.9 feet 6,900 empty in the WV mountains with our 1/2 ton and we have no problems.
ryounglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:08 PM   #25

Lots of good advice above, especially about payload limits. I would also point out that the bigger issue isn't so much how much you can pull; it's how much weight is behind you when you need to stop. 8500 lbs behind a half ton is a whole lot of weight that can, and will, push you around. IMHO it's best to stay within about two thirds of your limits max so that you have some "runway" when things get a bit interesting (steep hills, extra loads, really hot days, sudden stops, cross winds, etc). No matter what, good luck. Enjoy the new trailer.
wcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:40 AM   #26

A duramax 3500 HD will pull it. . (Sorry, I just had to).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
A duramax 3500 HD will pull it. . (Sorry, I just had to).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
U so bad....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #28

I have almost the same truck and am seriously considering the same travel trailer. Just wondering what you think of the tow vehicle and trailer after you have used it. How do you like the bathroom door on the backside of the trailer? Any options you would suggest getting?
Brutis111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #29

Hi Brutiss111,

I have towed it 6 times now on the flat prairies. A couple of times it was a 50km/hr wind and I didn't like it. The trailer threw the truck around a bit I did't feel like it was out of control but wasn't comfortable. My cousin who has towed trailers this size for 10 years said he thought it was fine when I let him drive. Maybe I just need some experience but I am gonna take a F250 out and tow the trailer to see what it tows like.

I know this isn't a helpful answer but I'm still trying to figure out if I'm staying with the F150 or going up to a 250
Old 09-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #30

Brutiss111

The truck definitely had the power the only thing I didn't like was the trailer pushing the truck around