Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
xkuzme1- do you mean to use the epoxy to attach a piece of plastic diamond plate like what was mentioned by JMooney?
No, I'd pull the broken pieces back into place.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #22

As a recent TT buyer I would prefer to have a nice looking, small patch that's watertight. One way to do that is to combine several of the suggestions.
1. Use a filled epoxy such as J-B Weld to fill in the damaged area. This will make it both mechanically secure and watertight.
2. Get a piece of aluminum flat stock from a hardware store, something in the 1/16 inch thickness range, and cut a square piece to fit over the damaged area.
3. Place sealant behind the patch piece and use aluminum pop rivets to secure it in place.

My reasoning is that unless you are willing to replace the entire thread plate area it will always look "patched"; you, as the owner, can be comfortable with a mechanically secure and watertight patch; and a future buyer will be reassured that the damage was addressed in a good manner.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #23

well i had poked a pretty good size hole in my car trailer on the left front ... whet i did was to see how it was attached trimmed sealent around the edges pulled it off went to a metal supermarket and they cut me a new piece the exact same size i then put it back in place and resealed it and other than the fact that the diamond plate i bought was thicker and doesnt dent anymore with rocks off the tires it looks identical
Attached Thumbnails
2012-06-29_07-16-19_974.jpg  
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #24

The right way!
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #25

Hi DonnaD, was wondering what you ended up doing with the hole to your diamond plate. We did the same thing.
Kabull64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #26

Why not remove the entire diamond plate? It’s usually plastic or very light weight real aluminum. Use the old piece as a guide to cut and install a whole new cap. This stuff is cheap, just labor.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #27

Scott Trailer Newbe, I was thinking the same thing, but am concerned about sealing it properly so it doesn't get wet on inside. There is only insulation between the diamond plate and storage wall. Thank you for the advice it is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #28

Seal all perimeter surfaces, that’s all the manufacturer does.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #29

What would you recommend to seal it?
Old 07-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #30

No aluminum plate

The front is not aluminum so don’t use a piece of aluminum to fix it. And don’t drill any holes! Fill the hole with Geocel ProFlex sealant. Then, when it is dry, apply another layer. Then use a piece of 3M Silver Foil tape #3340 to cover it.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #31

Usually the front is plastic made to look like aluminum diamond plate. The manufacturer gets it from somewhere, so I’m sure anyone else can too. My trailer is new and if this happened to me, I wouldn’t even think about patching it. I’d google the material, take the old one off and install a whole new cap. Then seal with a good silicone made by Dow.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #32

Google plastic diamond plate. You will come up with a variety of them get some that looks the closest to what is there. Fill hole with epoxy or whatever. Sand it down smooth with surrounding area.( you could even sand down the diamond plate flush on the patch area so that the patch fits even flatter/ flusher with the original) Cut patch square or round about an inch bigger on all sides of damage. If you are detail oriented you could cut patch so the diamond pattern matches the existing area that is damaged sort of like if you were doing wall paper and lining up the pattern. Then use epoxy, liquid nails or the like to adhere it perhaps even use some type of clear sealant around the outside perimeter. Will you be able to notice it yes but will it stick out like a sore thumb not at all.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:45 AM   #33

A dab of caulk, try to pull away from backing and q-tip some behind the hole, check frequently. Or replace the whole piece.