Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #1

Plumbing leak. How to access?

So, I'm getting situated to our new Jayco slowly. It took a couple weeks for our hose to arrive, so we'd just been using the tiny amount of water left in the tank when we got it.

Today, the hose came. I attached it to the cheapo pressure regulator we got with it (45psi) and didn't even turn the faucet on all the way, because I wasn't sure I should. And I was happy with the pressure inside so that seemed enough for now until I research it.

Approximately 4 hours later I was startled to hear a distinct dripping sound.

It's only visible from the outside, dripping down from the left back side near the grey and black tanks. The insulation underneath there is completely waterlogged, and the drips are only escaping from what I surmise to be two pinholes in it. I'm concerned because it's not designed to hold the weight of a lot of water.

I can't figure out what's going on without somehow removing the insulation. How do I access this? It's originating from underneath the storage area in the bathroom, but it's above all plumbing that's accessible from outside without pulling things apart.

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

The first thing I did was shut off the water, and I ran the faucet to get most of it out of the pipes. I no longer hear the dripping inside.

I understand I might need to get a professional to look at it, but is there a way to at least access that area so I could see what's going on and let the water out of the insulation?
Heidi Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:23 AM   #2

You said it is new? Don't mess with it. Just take it to the dealer.
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #3
Site Team

All that should have been checked on the pdi. What kind of hose took so long to get there? Walmart has them.

I would get on the phone with your dealer asap. Let them handle it initially.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #4

Hi, I'm Heidi's boyfriend and here are the pictures.

And basically, it's a 2007 Jayco Jayflight 23fb. We bought it from my Aunt off Craigslist (surprisingly enough. She moves around a lot and had no idea she relocated again). Bringing it the the dealer is off the table.

The leak is coming out of the left side vapor barrier. We called around RV repair shops and they told us to poke a hole in it so we did. There's nothing down there except for floorboards, insulation and all the way to the back, a low point drain.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0111.jpg   IMG_0121.jpg   IMG_0122.jpg   IMG_0132.jpg  
Limkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:44 AM   #5

Having just gone through a water leak issue on a new 2016 TT I can tell you they can be very difficult to isolate and depending on where it is it may require some serious deconstruction to get at them. They walls and floors are built over and around the plumbing. It took our dealer two different attempts to find it. Turns out there were two leaks - a construction screw punctured a line and a connection on the water heater was dripping. Water will find it's way down and run to the lowest point and path of least resistance which may be far away from the source. From the pictures it seems the leak has been there for quite some time. Where it's dripping from may be far away from where it's leaking from.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:48 AM   #6
Site Team

Someone, either you or a rv technician will have to remove the under belly enough to look and see where the water is coming from. No other way to know which way to go until the source is identified.

You could try and eliminate some things by checking if it leaks when the drains are used or is it fresh water? Guessing is not going to fix it. BTW, when found it should be an easy fix if long term damage is not present.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Never had a water leak or underbelly. What I think I would do is use my air compressor to l pressurize the city water inlet. Then use a sponge and soapy water to doible check everything I could get to. If nothing found, I believe the underbelly is fastened with screws and fender washers. I'd take the underbelly off and do the soapy water test as I uncovered plumbing. I like the idea of an underbelly but don't order thrm for this reason.
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #8

While you're at it check EVERY water connection. The connections to my outside kitchen sink, bath tub, bathroom sink, kitchen sink and hot water tank were all loose and slowly leaking. I had my TT delivered and did an on-site delivery inspection. I ended up fixing everything. They slap these things together and rely on QA/QC from the dealer. Obviously some dealers are less than stellar.
Robk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #9

Most of your plumbing is inside above the floor, but water flows down, so no surprise it is leaking out of the underbelly. The actual leak could be located much higher up. One thing to check carefully is all connections at taps etc. as they can loosen over time.

I would start inside under the sink and examine carefully for water on all visible lines. Looks like both your sink and shower lines run through that one cabinet. One quick tip is to use dry Kleenex and wipe your lines lightly. A little water becomes evident very quickly on Kleenex. Looks like your unit also has a rear access storage area under the wardrobe, there may be pipes visible in there. It is most likely in the pressure plumbing (not the waste) as the leak appears under pressure. Check the line into the back of the toilet as well. If you can't find any evidence in the visible/accessible plumbing, then it is generally time to start some disassembly of cabinets and even walls to trace the leak.

ETA: one additional thought. Try cutting out the hot water side and see if the leak disappears. You can do this by closing either one of the bypass valves at the HWT (the one on the bypass connector tube should stay closed) to prevent the HW side from pressurizing. If the leak disappears, you know its on the hot side. If it is still there, it's on the cold side.

Also, to prevent too much destruction, consider if you can snake a new piece of pex pipe between two accessible points by attaching new to the old and pulling it through. Sometimes it is easier to just replace than to dig it out with all the damage that may entail. I haven't done this with plumbing, but have done it many times with electrical. Beats the heck out of opening a wall cavity.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #10

Thanks for all your help guys. So I had a RV mechanic come down to Check it out and he ruled out a lot of stuff. He said the leaking from that side was due to a very loose connection of a low point drain in that area. He also said that there were no signs of a leak anywhere else. Thanks again for all your help!!
Limkun is offline   Reply With Quote