Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #1

Warranty Service - did not buy local

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I have a two questions.

1. What issues has anyone had getting warranty service accomplished by their local dealer when the trailer was not purchased from them?
2. Has anyone been denied warranty service by their local dealer? I have heard of being put on the back of their warranty repair list behind those who purchased from them, but has anyone been denied.

I am looking at purchasing a new trailer and have seen some not very local for a couple thousand cheaper. I personally don't mind a road trip vacation to get one. The local dealer doesn't seem to want to work with the lower prices from other areas.

Thanks for your responses in advanced

2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

You may get service but if you did not buy from that dealer you may not get timely service. They may put your repair behind those that purchased from them.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

Worse case you have a few thousand to cover, if even necessary, repairs you can't get finished in a timely manner yourself. Jayco has authorized independent repair shops if necessary. We purchased ours from the dealer in Middlebury Indiana, saving $3000 just in delivery fees plus thousands more...And we have not needed warranty service to this point, 15 months later. We did get some warranty items sent to us directly, by Jayco.

Save your money and don't worry. Happy Camping
Old 07-20-2016, 09:41 PM   #4

We purchased from Tarrytown RV and live in SC. We saved several thousand on purchase, they flew us out for delivery etc. No miles on the unit. Went to our local camping world for some minor warranty issue and had no issues and was treated very well
Old 07-21-2016, 02:32 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to frog
I purchased mine from afar. Saved 6k. But found that in season they do put you on the back burner. In May I had a issue, called closest J dealer and they gave a appt in Feb,2017. The second closest said to call back in Sept to make appt. I was appalled and called Jayco customer service. He said they are independent owners and cannot tell them how to run their business and will let regional sales manager in that area know. He authorized me to take to any authorized RV dealer and would reimburse for repairs. Hope this helps.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:51 AM   #6

Some dealers have said no to others on the forum in a similar situation.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #7

In cases like this, I would hope Jayco would authorize any warranty service at a large independent RV repair facility.

There is one such place about 5 miles from my house. It's the most convenient RV service/repair facility to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Some dealers have said no to others on the forum in a similar situation.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #8

If they have a Jayco shingle hanging on there shop they have to honor the warranty. If they don't call Jayco. As far as how they treat you in respect to folks that bought directly from them, that could be a different story.

We bought our trailer from a different dealer 200 miles away because our local dealer didn't have the model we wanted and didn't want to order one. We had warranty work done twice by the local dealer. The problem is that the summer months are their busy months so all work, even if you are paying for it takes a long time.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #9

The shop I'm talking about only does service/repair. They are an independent shop. They do not sell anything.

They work on everything from $250 million plus diesel pushers down to the smallest pop up. And everything in between.

I'd have to call Jayco should I get a Jayco to get permission. I just hope they would give permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
If they have a Jayco shingle hanging on there shop they have to honor the warranty. If they don't call Jayco. As far as how they treat you in respect to folks that bought directly from them, that could be a different story.

We bought our trailer from a different dealer 200 miles away because our local dealer didn't have the model we wanted and didn't want to order one. We had warranty work done twice by the local dealer. The problem is that the summer months are their busy months so all work, even if you are paying for it takes a long time.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
If they have a Jayco shingle hanging on there shop they have to honor the warranty.
If you didn't buy from them they do not have to do warranty work for you. There are numerous dealers who only cover their customers.

Agreed if you do have issues contact JAYCO, but they will not mandate that the offending dealer take care of you. They usually find another dealer or service center, but it may not be as close.

Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote