Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
A very heavy bike lock CABLE... NOT A CHAIN... cable strands are harder to cut with bolt cutters... I have been using one now for 4 years...with a very small but heavy duty bike U lock. I wrap the cable around the trailer frame and the frame of the genny..

2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
140 days boondocking in 2016
211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
Thanks for all the info. As this is our first TT I am a bit green so-to-speak. I have had the generator sitting inside my house now for the last couple days and haven't noticed anything as far as a gasoline smell goes. Bike lock cable...great idea. I will look into that for sure!

2013 Jay Flight 32BHDS
Outdoor Kitchen, Technology, Elite, Power Awning, Ladder, Outdoor Grill
Honda EU3000IC
ajb1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Like Seann mentioned above, that was my original thought, which is why I mentioned the theft deterrent handle cover. On the EU2000i, you can cut through the plastic handle and slip the cable lock free. I also thought the EU3000s were pretty heavy dudes to lift for one person but maybe not.

I've even heard where someone took the handle off his EU2000i and managed to slip a piece of re-bar inside the handle to stop someone from cutting through it. It's all what works for you but if it were me, I'd either fabricate a box that I could chain down or something on the generator itself so it can't walk away. I'd be too lazy to move it indoors
Mike, Sue, Sissy and Little Man

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
Site Team
Even if locked, don't leave it out in the open. Cover it with a cloth. The red will attract maggots!
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
The idea is out of sight out of mind. I personally will not leave my generator unattended at the camp site. I have a nice generator spot in the back of my truck bed next to the tailgate area. It is secured to the inside of the truck bed with a lock cable so that it can moved out onto the tail gate and still be secured. My truck bed has the FOLD-A-COVER thick folding bed cover which locks as well. Of course the truck tail gate locks.

In other words my generator goes where I go...

I have seen generators disappearing from being chained to trees, being stowed on the rear of trailers, and just sitting on the ground chained to the trailer. They are not safe especially if out in the open. You might as well place a sign on them saying "TAKE ME - TAKE ME"

Just a couple of years ago at ELKMONT in the Smoky Mtns Natl Park we left to go to Townsend for groceries. Coming back we couldnt get down our site one-way road because of a down tree. So I went around and came in the site road on the other side and made to where I was camping. My neighbor had log chained his 3KW generator to pretty good sized tree. He had left to do something as well and got back just a few minutes after I did. SO there we both are looking at the cut down tree and his Honda 3KW generator missing. Brings tears to your eyes. This was in broad daylight around 2PM in the afternoon. They probably watched both of us leave the camp ground around the same time. We were the only two camping spots that was being used.

Sure does put the brakes on having a good time camping... Being a good neighbor we both got to use my 2KW generator to get both of us charged up the next few mornings. I even got to run over the time limit for generators a couple of times.

I have never checked about what insurance does to help you out but of course they all have deductibles I guess...
Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #16
Mine stays in the back of the pickup most of the time. Sometimes when I am boondocking on our farm I cable lock it to the bycycle tray on the back of the TT.

Ford F250, V10
Jayco 320RLDS
Spent 165 nights camping in 2011
Shenandoahvalley is offline   Reply With Quote