Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

What do you wish that you knew when you first bought your popup?

Hi, everyone. Just signed the papers for a new 2017 10SD after a long search to find a nice used model failed miserably. I've been camping my whole life, but it was always in a tent and for the past 10 years or so most of the trips were just me and the wife on a motorcycle. With a three year old running around, those days are done for a while and I'm pretty new to the pull behind camper scene.

Anything that you wish you had purchased early on, or tricks that you've picked up along the way to help a new popup camper owner?

TriumphGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #2

That camping was so addictive, 44 yrs and many units later we're still at it.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #3

Don't run out and buy every camping gadget that looks cool. What works great for someone else may not fit with your style.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Hunter View Post
Don't run out and buy every camping gadget that looks cool. What works great for someone else may not fit with your style.
X2. First outing go to a close by CG close to a W Mart or such. Take the basics like cooler, bedding, a few dishes and pots/pans, etc. A lot of the stuff at Camping World that might look neat or necessary will end up catching dust in a box somewhere. Your experience tenting s/b all you need to know about camping in a PU other than the extras that a PU provides. What you use in a tent goes a long way in what you will need in your PU. Give it a go and keep a note pad handy to jot down the things you need.

Enjoy the new PU. We had 2 before we stepped up to a full blown TT. Great fun with the kids, every state park in Indiana, Yellowstone, D World, Rocky Mtn NP, Smoky Mtn NP to name a few.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #5

I would have liked to have better understood trailering weights when I had my pop-up. Knowing what I know now, I was probably always way overweight on my trailer and TV.

My uncle broke a pop-up axle overloading his pop-up.

Just because there is space to put things, doesn't mean it's a good idea. My pop-up CCC was a few hundred pounds, but it didn't include an after-market A/C unit. We would have 4 bikes on top too and every nook and cranny was jam packed with stuff. The TV was an '03 Explorer completely full inside with a fridge, screen room, and a bunch of heavy things, and it had a full car top carrier too.

I never weighed it, but I should have.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeras View Post
I would have liked to have better understood trailering weights when I had my pop-up. Knowing what I know now, I was probably always way overweight on my trailer and TV.

My uncle broke a pop-up axle overloading his pop-up.

Just because there is space to put things, doesn't mean it's a good idea. My pop-up CCC was a few hundred pounds, but it didn't include an after-market A/C unit. We would have 4 bikes on top too and every nook and cranny was jam packed with stuff. The TV was an '03 Explorer completely full inside with a fridge, screen room, and a bunch of heavy things, and it had a full car top carrier too.

I never weighed it, but I should have.
No kidding there. I just helped a friend rebuild his rear suspension after some similar events. Thanks for the reminder. It seems like there's an ever growing pile of "kid things" that I have to drag along with me.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
X2. First outing go to a close by CG close to a W Mart or such. Take the basics like cooler, bedding, a few dishes and pots/pans, etc. A lot of the stuff at Camping World that might look neat or necessary will end up catching dust in a box somewhere. Your experience tenting s/b all you need to know about camping in a PU other than the extras that a PU provides. What you use in a tent goes a long way in what you will need in your PU. Give it a go and keep a note pad handy to jot down the things you need.

Enjoy the new PU. We had 2 before we stepped up to a full blown TT. Great fun with the kids, every state park in Indiana, Yellowstone, D World, Rocky Mtn NP, Smoky Mtn NP to name a few.
No worries about this guy buying extra camping gadgets. I like to keep it simple, especially when we don't tend to spend more than a night or two in one place. I'm more worried about things specific to RV camping like wheel chock or bits and bobs to get plumbed into water and electric.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphGuy View Post
No worries about this guy buying extra camping gadgets. I like to keep it simple, especially when we don't tend to spend more than a night or two in one place. I'm more worried about things specific to RV camping like wheel chock or bits and bobs to get plumbed into water and electric.
You're on the right track. Wheel chocks are certainly a good idea and a drinking water hose (25-50 feet).

But I think the most important thing to take along especially for your first few trips is a pencil and paper. If you find there's something you need, write it down and you'll have it next time.

There's nothing worse than loading and unloading a bunch of stuff you don't need or use....Ask me how I know.
It's horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment.
- Ansel Adams
https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNE  NVNHNJNMNYNCOHOKPASCSDTNTXUTVAWIWYmed.jpg
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. I grabbed some leveling blocks, wheel chocks, 15 amp adapter and a watter pressure regulator. Looking forward to getting this thing out in the woods.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #10

http://www.rvautoparts.com/Bal-Light...50_p_6652.html