Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2023, 06:40 AM   #1

On a Glide Path to Retirement

It's close enough to where day dreams are becoming plans. We've been camping for decades, from tents to our current small, simple, couples camper. We've also lived aboard a boat for a couple months and considered that option. We know that travel and family will be front and center.

Option one. Keep the stick and brick, same TT, and take multiple six week trips each year. Coming back to see the kids and grandkids. It's the safe path and one my wife leans slightly towards.

Option two, recognizing we're only getting older, sell the appreciating asset (house) and buy depreciating assets (new bigger truck and tt) and go full time. Our travel routes wouldn't be much different. Still coming back to see the grandkids grow.

Option 3, something in between. I'm certain we're not the first couple to be wrestling with this. I've read a few threads.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:19 AM   #2

Congratulations!

It's good to have options, isn't it? We went through much the same decision-making and opted to stay where we are in our dream retirement house and go with a Class A coach with Jeep toad.

What we've found is that we haven't spent as much time on the road as we'd planned. Partly because of pandemic issues, and partly because of a bit of my reluctance of leaving the house unattended for long periods. Probably need to get over that, but it's not easy. We've made trips to Yellowstone, South Florida, several to S. Louisiana, and several shorter trips in the southeast. Have a trip to Corpus Christi planned soon, and one up to Maine later in the year. Will no doubt have some other short trips in between.

Grandkids are just now getting to the age where they'd enjoy coming with us, which was an incentive for going the route we did. We'll see how that plays out later this year.

At any rate, best of luck with the process of deciding which way to go!
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:26 AM   #3
RPR

After we both retired we sold our house we had been in for 40 years, hit the road for a year, then bought a new townhouse as home base, (no maintenance) closer to our daughter, still make trips, Class C is parked at our daughter and son in law’s when not on the road. We ran 30 amp power and water to the concrete pad where we park it along with their big horse trailer on their 5 acres.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:11 AM   #4

Retirement is grand! Congratulations. We took your option one. We take a couple of 6-8 week trips and as many 7-10 day trips as we want. Covid did throw a monkey wrench into things but we just worked around it. We like coming home to our stick and brick. Also I didn’t want to give up my garage/shop. I don’t think any of your choices are wrong, it’s what your most comfortable with. Again congratulations and safe travels.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:28 AM   #5

I'm 20+ years from retirement, but my parents were in the same boat as you a decade ago. They kept the house and traveled for long periods. It was nice for them to have a place to go back to and for us to visit them. It was also good for them to have a place to park their rig and with neighbors they had known for over 40 years. If they had not kept their house, I don't know if I or my kids could see them as much as we did. I lost my mom in 2019 and dad recently sold the house and moved to Florida. He still has the RV but will only be here in the summer. We travel most of the summer so I'm not sure how this is going to work out.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:12 AM   #6

We're on a similar path, still prob 10yrs from retirement however with remote working it has opened some doors and options! With tech layoff's happing who knows this plan might get express routed. ;-)

My DW has a medical concerns that require at least yearly consultation with her doctors along with regular medication to keep her alive. Other than her one condition we both have full mobility and are in good health. One thing that the pandemic taught us is to have a base of operations that you can come back to and wait out the storms of life.

What we have discussed is selling the current home (only been here 3 years) that has appreciated in value nicely. Then buying a home in a different location, prob 2-3 hours away, where prices are lower and we can get property to store the RV when we're not using it. Also allowing us to have friends/family come and stay and get out of the heat of the Phoenix area.

What we would like to do, if we go this route, is to then ABNB out the new house while we are not there. This way it becomes another source of income and people are using it, i.e. its not just sitting there and someone's eyes will be on it.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:33 AM   #7

I am semi retired now but almost exactly 4 years away from full retirement for. My wife who is 9 years younger than me has a job where she can continue working with some flexibility for remote options or she could quite likely stop working all together as well.

Although my plan has always been to move to warm climate we have kids and grandkids that have deep roots to our current area so our plan is to keep our current home but travel on those 4 to 6 week trips especially during the colder months but return in between to be close to the kids. It wasn't exactly my ideal plan but once the grand kids started coming even I found it impossible to move away.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:18 PM   #8

On My Horizon

I am an educator from nj. I currently have 25 yrs in but I can not retire with full pension until I have min. of 25 yrs in and I am at least 55 yrs old. I need to wait 2 1/2 yrs until I hit that mark. At this point I am pretty sure I will go out once I hit 55. My wife and I have places in our family in Fla. and in Az that we will have access to. My plan is to travel between them(especially during the cooler months) We will sell our sticks&bricks in nj but keep a condo or townhouse to be near our kids as well. I find myseld looking forward to this chapter more each week...
NjNewbie30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:33 PM   #9

Congrats on your “problem”.
We faced the similar question in my lead up to retirement. We didn’t see ourselves full-timing and elected to keep the brick n stick and travel when we wished. Since my retirement at the end of ‘16 we’ve managed 2 6 week trips with the 3rd in consideration. There’s also been many shorter outings, many involving our grandson (and his parents). we’ve also managed to travel to Europe several times.
Our working mantra is, “world big, life short”

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:29 AM   #10

Thank you all for the thoughts and ideas. I do appreciate them all. We're educators as well. Second career for me.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:03 PM   #11

We're kind of putting together what an annual calendar might look like and it seems that having some land available here in Texas to serve as a temporary home base between longer trips would be nice versus finding campgrounds, most likely Texas State Parks or commercial.

One thing that always caused us to pause is selling our appreciating asset and buying a depreciating asset. We did a deeper dive into TT that we believe would work for us and in reality the depreciation may equal the savings on property taxes. It will at least put a dent into the number.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:21 PM   #12

Option #2.

We do a 6-weeker every year and a few shorter trips.

No way I can get wife to leave the grandkids.

Just as well... I don't want to either.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:47 PM   #13

Glidepath to retirement

Congratulatons!!
We've been retired since 2005 and have camped our entire lives. The choice is an individual one and what feels best to you is what you should do. We downsized from a 41 foot Redwood 5th wheel to a 32 ft class C last year. It took a little getting used to the smaller space but traveling accross the country to see the kids is easier now. We've kept the "Stick & Brick" and are always glad to get back home after a trip.
My only suggestion is try the long term RV life before you sell the home incase it isn't totally appealing to you both. I'd really miss my workshop if it was gone for good. Good luck.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:48 PM   #14

A wise man told me once, "if you don't know what to do, do nothing". Option #1 won't cost you a dime so you could always go that route and see how it works. If you go with option #2 and decide it wasn't the right choice, then going back option #1 may be costly in that you would have to buy another stick and brick.
Incampnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
Option #2.

We're both teachers. That's about what we're doing now. We're considering initially three six week trips. Spring, summer, and fall trips with winter here in San Antonio.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:35 PM   #16

For us 6-8 weeks traveling, sometimes not all at once, across the fruited plains and then back home is our way. Been all over the world, retired ARMY, and now time to see and explore this beautiful country.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:29 PM   #17

Retired in 2003 at 57 years old. We kept stick and travel about 20 weeks a year. I personally would never be happy in a C or TT. At end day got have recliner with legs up. We went 5th route with washing machine which is a must for her. She hates laundromat’s plus they are so expensive. Also TV being a sports nut I have Pathway X2 which gives me option hitting the Eastern or Western sats which gives you options in campgrounds with trees. Also simple call to Dish network and you have local TV wherever you are. Direct TV will not even consider it. I know Dish Tailgater is cheaper than Pathway but the Pathway is far superior.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:53 PM   #18

My wife and I retired two years ago and have been full time camping every since. We have a 43ft fifth wheel and love living in it and traveling. We kept our home and rent it out for now. I don't plan on living in a rv for more than a few more years and then will decide if we want to stay in our current home or sell it and move somewhere we might like better. We have one granddaughter and see her as often as possible. Being retired means I can travel to see her whenever we feel the need. Whatever you do, I recommend you always keep a place to land. There are so many things that can happen health wise that some day climbing in a rv and going down the road won't be a option.
mwheue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:26 PM   #19

We have some experience in being a landlord and that is something we are considering. Currently our kids and grandkids are spread out around South Texas from Brownsville to El Paso back through San Antonio to Houston. So we have plenty of great winter possibilities. Our oldest is considering moving in a few years to a spot with a little land and a RV pad for us. That might really sway our decision.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
Option #2.

OOps...can't count...#1 as described, not numbered.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote