Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #1

Glacier NP 2018

going for over 2 weeks.. looking for feedback on good places to stay and places to avoid... we are okay with just electric and water and even boon docking as needed... but only for 3-4 days...

We will be mostly hiking, horseback riding (2 days once on eastside once on Westside), car travel during the week when less busy. May do a whitewater rafting trip

The NP campgrounds are mostly first come first served.. and with kids that really doesn't always work out... I hate to be looking for a place instead of enjoying the trip. Trailer is t26y Octane..

Pete gave me some good info but that gives me more questions.
We don't care for being right next to someone else looking in their living room... space is good and prefer nobody behind so we can open the back up pull down the screen and relax... also prefer not to be at a "wallmart" type parking lot park. We would need laundry services on the second week...

St. Marys' KOA looks nice on the east side any others ?

For our last week on the west side there are obviously more to choose from:
west glacier KOA
North American RV park and Yurt village?
Timberwolf resort and RV park
Glacier meadow rv park and cabins

any others?

Thanks for any advice we are planning on booking in the next week or so I would like to be able to request a particular spot if possible not sure if it even is before I start calling...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:12 AM   #2

We stayed at St. Mary KOA a couple of years ago for a week. We liked the fact that the east side is very quiet compared with the west. The entrance and visitor center are right there. We took the tram from the visitor center, which is a really nice option going across Going to the Sun Road. There are many stops along the way. You can hop on and off many times if you want. There's also a KOA on the west side that also looked nice. There were many other good-looking campgrounds in the area. The bustle of the town on the west side didn't appeal to us. The east side vs west side is probably a bigger decision than the campground you choose.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #3

We stayed in the park in Fish Creek Campground loop B. You would have to make reservations though. No electric but can use a generator. There was a dump station and fresh water on the way in.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #4

While on the East side we stayed at the St Marys KOA. Really nice and quiet. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Laundry facilities were great. Pool was great for our at the time 6 year old. Close to the entrance and great view into the mountains. Would highly suggest making reservation early. They will fill up. Lots of turn over when we were there.go over to Many Glacier while there, Beautiful.
Cflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #5

it looks like the KOA is the way to go it has the amenities we are looking for, for a 16-18 day stay... I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a "parking lot" for RV's. Not that we will be spending a lot of time there during the day but when we do I don't want to be looking at pavement and rocks and the inside of the RV of the guy/gal next to me ;o)

Thanks for the feedback we are reserving this week.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluie5 View Post
We stayed in the park in Fish Creek Campground loop B. You would have to make reservations though. No electric but can use a generator. There was a dump station and fresh water on the way in.
this sounds good but the reservation starts in Dec.. We may try and get a couple of days in this area if I can get up and reserve a spot at midnight or whatever time they let me ...
Old 12-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #7

I believe while we were there we stayed in site B14 or 15. The sites are not wooded or secluded. They are not right on top of each other though. They were building some sites while we were there,looked to be expanding a bit in that loop we stayed in. Going to west Glacier took a while. Beautiful drive!!!! White water rafting was in West glacier, took the whole day. No regrets at all about staying there.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #8

all booked up... KOA East was especially helpful, I told her I had a toy hauler and we like to put the gate down and not have to look at other trailers... and I had picked out a15 but she said for the same money there was a much better spot and she reserved me a site that looks at the mountains when parked with the back opened up.. also to make sure you get your spot it is an extra $10 on the east KOA but nothing on the west... oh well...

The west KOA helped as well though not as detailed both seem very very pleasant and we can't wait to head out there...

Thanks for everyone's input...
Old 12-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #9

No problem. I am jealous. You will have a blast. Take pictures.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflowers View Post
No problem. I am jealous. You will have a blast. Take pictures.
that is what my wife does... she is a picture hound... she has 4 - 64GB cards for her camera and it holds 2 at a time... remarkably she has filled 2 on a 3 week vacation to Yellowstone... I don't know how she does it... but she does take two every time drives me nuts... thank goodness we don't have film anymore...