Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lumber View Post
I stopped at our local state park to empty our tanks and was told that they recently decided to charge $10 each time. Wow $10? I understand charging boondockers but $10 seems exhorbitant to me.
its the same thing everywhere now.sometimes i wonder if i should just stay home.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:48 AM   #22

In my experience, those places that charge to dump your tanks if you are not camping there usually charge $10. Sometimes it is an honor system with just a drop box and some envelopes. You might get a fine if you get caught dumping without paying.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:23 AM   #23

It's true. The ONLY money Michigan State Parks get from the state is from the recreation passport fees. Other than that, their only source of income is camping fees. It costs a lot of money to maintain the dump station equipment at a state park, and someone's got to pay for that. And it seems like non-campers always come in to dump at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday - the busiest time at the dump station. And then they try to cut in front of the registered campers. North Higgins Lake State Park (where I'm the Campground Host) and several other smaller state parks, don't allow ANY dumping if you're not a registered camper. We're not connected to a municipal sewage system, and we just don't have the tank & processing capacity to handle outside dumping.

For the average citizen, life has become a combination of "Pay your taxes and the government will take care of you" . . . unless you actually want to enjoy life! Then it's "Pay-to-Play" for everything!

(end of rant!)
Old 06-30-2019, 05:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
+1

But I don't really need to do that any more since I have a macerator and 100' hose and can dump my tanks at my home...
I do the same after boondocking.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:55 AM   #25

Even Flying J charges to use their dump station. Very frustrated with some of our fellow campers and the messes they leave at dump stations & even camp sites. Why do some have to be such "pigs"? Makes one wonder how they keep their houses.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Even Flying J charges to use their dump station. Very frustrated with some of our fellow campers and the messes they leave at dump stations & even camp sites. Why do some have to be such "pigs"? Makes one wonder how they keep their houses.
Probably the same way!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lumber View Post
I stopped at our local state park to empty our tanks and was told that they recently decided to charge $10 each time. Wow $10? I understand charging boondockers but $10 seems exhorbitant to me.
Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. The private campground near me charges at least that to only dump.

I just wish the sewer clean out at my house was on the driveway side of the house. It's a 60' run slightly up hill now.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #28

A lot of our rest areas on the interstate system in Georgia have dump stations that are free. At least they were a few months back when I made a stop. Have not seen any signs there.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:15 AM   #29

I'm good with paying a fee if I am not staying there, the daily permit fee on top of that is aggressive
Old 07-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabirch View Post
I'm good with paying a fee if I am not staying there, the daily permit fee on top of that is aggressive
This I would agree with. If you've paid a fee to use the park, then dumping should be included.

If you just want to dump, then charging a fee for this is ok, in my book.

It certainly would have been hateful to pay to enter Yellowstone, pay to camp in one of the campgrounds, and then have to pay to dump as you left.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #31

Cabelas charges 5 bucks,,free with,purchase
bheisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #32

We were at Lakeport State Park over here on the east side of Michigan this past holiday week.
Normally we wait until checkout time to leave. This way the people from the city and others that have a bit of a distance to travel to get back home can get to the dump station before us. We only have a 15-20 min drive home.
Once again, we had to wait in line nearly 2 hours. This was the last time for me. The wife was all concerned that our tanks were gone be full and we would have to go dump or get one of those portable honey wagons. Fortunately, we didnt have to do either. But, I am gonna get a portable wagon and I'm gonna start dumping at home. I have a sewer clean out at the house somewhere, I just have to find it. I'm gonna dump in the wagon and wheel it to the cleanout about 35' away and uphill just enough that a sewer hose wouldnt work.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #33

A homemade macerator, using a garbage disposer, and a 3/4" discharge hose will work great ffor you
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #34

You’re complaining about a $10 charge to dump your “crap”? They have to pay to empty their tanks. If you play a role in filling them why do you think you shouldn’t have to chip in for emptying them?? Dumping your tanks is a lot different than simply using the bathrooms while at the park. If you don’t like the charge go somewhere else. It’s anywhere from $10-$25 here in Colorado.

I don’t understand this mentality that people are entitled to something for free!
Old 07-10-2019, 10:22 PM   #35

My thought for me dumping at home was more for saving me the wait in line since I'm so close to our parks we camp at locally.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #36

If the lines are long ,,if the campground has any empty full hookups just use the sewer there
bheisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:08 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheisser View Post
If the lines are long ,,if the campground has any empty full hookups just use the sewer there
This is what I do if the dump station lines are long. One of the parks I frequent has both full hook ups and electric only sites. The electric only sites are along the lake and very popular. I'll just back into a vacated full hook up site, take my time and do a complete dump and flush.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #38

Several states [Miss. GA and others] have dump stations at rest areas that are free and convenient to use. I have never had to wait in line for more than one other RV, even on busy holiday weekends. It does not surprise me that states are implementing charges for using a dump station at state parks if you are not a registered camper but taking them all into consideration the charges are getting ridiculous.

There are alternatives to using the dump at the CG without illegal dumping somewhere else. Its difficult if you are in an area where you are not familiar but when we travel into a state I always check out the rest areas near the state line. I have dumped residual from my tank from our multi day drive home later at my rural home. I live there so am not going to do something dumb but its never more than a tote full at best. Being retired makes it easier to avoid leaving the CG on busy sundays while also avoiding the heavy traffic on the roads.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #39

Agreed, if you aren’t camping there, then pay to dump. Your not contributing to the park whatsoever but expect free use of the facilities? The only time I am perturbed by a parks fee structure is when I go to stay at my spot in a State Park I reserved and the only way to get to it is to pay a gate fee lol. My spot is reserved and paid for and I have to pay to get to it, kinda silly. Could be worse though, in Florida at Fort Pickens you can find yourself paying a gate fee every couple days to get to your campsite if you leave to go to town. If your staying the weekend your fine because if I remember right the gate pass last 2-3 days. If your staying two weeks like we did, you’ll be paying your way back in a few times and I find that ridiculous. Sometimes they man the gate, sometimes they don’t so it’s a roll of the dice to go to town to resupply or explore.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #40

Just take your camper thru San Francisco or Seattle... dump your tanks as you drive. That's essentially what's going on there, you might even get some government services if you drive slow enough...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote