Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2022, 08:31 AM   #1

Reservation Trend I Hope is Temporary

Perhaps this is too small of a sample size to call it a trend but as we are making reservations for our two month summer trip we are finding several campgrounds moved to one week minimum and a couple places that went seasonal only.

I'm one case it's a perennial favorite for us and I'm happy that their business is thriving, but we're disappointed we probably won't stay there this summer.

While I miss the days we would just point our way north in June and discover places along the way, I am enjoying the planning.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Another trend we are noticing is many cg's are requiring payment in full at the time of reservation. They have a refund policy but the reservation has to be paid in full at booking.

I am sure they are just trying to cull out the campers who abuse the system by making reservations that are made to game the system in their favor, knowing that they can adjust it or shorten it later.

Whatever the reason, we have noticed this trend.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I am sure they are just trying to cull out the campers who abuse the system by making reservations that are made to game the system
I just discovered there is a pay to use service that will continually check reservation systems for available space and send you a notification when there is an opening. I really dislike the concept of a bidding war to stay in our National Parks.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:54 AM   #4

I remember in the 70's my parents would load us up in the family truckster, the old ford wagons with the fake wood grain sides. We would take off for a month at a time. Never made reservations, never could not find somewhere to stay. No internet, just the AAA atlas. Now it's dog eat dog.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:22 AM   #5
Site Team

Many automated reservation systems have free vacancy notification.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:48 PM   #6

That reservation service isn't cheap! I looked into the other day and it was pretty pricy. I would rather gamble the lottery.

This is our first year doing a long trip. We are headed out for a couple months going to Glacier, Mackinac Island, Indy, St Louis, Mt Rushmore, Colorado etc...

I am glad that we started to look when we did as we have found reservations in all of the areas where we need one and are planning to boondock in other areas out west. But WOW things are already booked up! We were able to get a week inside Glacier but its all booked now through Aug (as much as it will show at least). Even in MI and CO we had some hard times finding locations. I am still working while we are out so while we have invested in a solid cellular equipment I would still like to get WiFi from time to time as well as do laundry.

Is this normal to see/have things booked out so early?
Old 02-04-2022, 10:25 PM   #7
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
Is this normal to see/have things booked out so early?
It sure is here in NYS. We like to book sites at some state campgrounds. There's a nine month window, and if you're not already booking, to the second they're available to be, they're gone. It's disappointing when you see 25 available spaces, and 30 seconds later they're booked.

We found that some folks are working the system, and booking for the full 14 day allowable stay, then cancelling some of it just before the time comes. Perhaps because they don't know which week their vacation will be granted, so they book both. For showing as full up, there are usually some empty sites when we're there. Maybe for reasons unknown.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
I remember in the 70's my parents would load us up in the family truckster, the old ford wagons with the fake wood grain sides. We would take off for a month at a time. Never made reservations, never could not find somewhere to stay. No internet, just the AAA atlas. Now it's dog eat dog.
Yup, th good old days. I like to say everything I needed toknow about trailering I learned from the movie “The Long Long Trailer”. “Di you trow out tose rocks?”

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
snip...
For showing as full up, there are usually some empty sites when we're there. Maybe for reasons unknown.
Some SP's hold a couple sites for walk-in's, could that be what you're seeing?
Old 02-05-2022, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Another trend we are noticing is many cg's are requiring payment in full at the time of reservation. They have a refund policy but the reservation has to be paid in full at booking.

I am sure they are just trying to cull out the campers who abuse the system by making reservations that are made to game the system in their favor, knowing that they can adjust it or shorten it later.

Whatever the reason, we have noticed this trend.
Many not only require payment in full at the time of reservations but also have a no refund policy for cancellations. Ask before making the reservations.

“The times, they are a changing”
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:04 PM   #11

This is a self imposed problem, it is RV'ers. If there is ever going to be a solution, it will have to come from us. I don't know of any regional or national organization that represents us. If not, we need to think about creating one. I communicated with RVTravel about this but they have no expertise in this area. But, they, like other RV forums could become communication vehicles if we want. My motivation is we went to Grand Canyon a few years ago and 1/3 of the RV park was vacant, yet every site was paid for.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Some SP's hold a couple sites for walk-in's, could that be what you're seeing?
It's remotely possible, but most, if not all of our state campgrounds have one site that's not shown or reservable on their websites. I asked one time, and they called it an "administration" site. That one is for the folks passing through the area that need a site for a one night stay without having made a reservation. All the empty ones I've seen since reservations became mandatory have been random around the parks.

The last couple of summers we're having better luck reserving sites in the middle of the week. Our desire for FHU sites is what makes it a challenge. Two of our favorite parks have made major upgrades and are more popular now. It's not easy for them to make more sites FHU when they're right on the water.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #13
RPR

As to the post about sites paid for but vacant. Some campgrounds have in their policy now that you must occupy the site the first night of your reservation or your reservation is cancelled.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:33 PM   #14

As for the campgrounds that require you to show up the first night, they also should include a policy that charges you for your entire visit if you are a no show and don't notify them by the next day. . This would help stop this problem quickly.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
As for the campgrounds that require you to show up the first night, they also should include a policy that charges you for your entire visit if you are a no show and don't notify them by the next day. . This would help stop this problem quickly.
Agree 100%.

One of my favorite places to camp is a county park on an island in Tampa Bay. I have been camping there since the 80's. It was always difficult to get a reservation, and now I'm getting only cancellations - and none in the past year. The cancellations only last minutes - you have to be on their site at the time.

The county residents have a 7 month window to make reservations, the rest of us have 6 months. I don't like that, but can't disagree with it. Anyway, the residents book the whole campground within the 30 days they have that we don't. There used to be no charge for a cancellation, and now there is a $5 fee.

When we do get a spot, the campground is usually about 50% (very often less) occupied during the weekdays, and almost full on the weekends. New folks don't understand that, and ask about it. Those of us who understand tell them "They are here, you just can't see them".

Florida is usually booked solid for 10 months a year. We get reservations in July and August. For non-Floridians that's like getting reservations in January and February, the 2 months a year that are the least desirable.

We're usually state park campers, and those reservations have become all but impossible to get as well. I think the robots (reservation services) are winning the battle, and I'm getting tired of competing. Boondocking has never been a priority of ours, but it might be the only solution.

This is an attempt at humor: Maybe we should start a JOF members only camping program where we setup camp in a participants driveway. At least we would be getting out.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #16

when gas and diesel hits north of $5 and $6 you will see cancellations a plenty...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
when gas and diesel hits north of $5 and $6 you will see cancellations a plenty...
I hope your wrong about the price of fuel (I don't thimk you are.), and right about the cancellations.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I think you are correct. With our current Leadership diesel and gas prices will be on their way up, already started.

Will this change my plans? I'm not sure yet. One thing I do know is our Country has to get back to something resembling normalcy.

Might get banned for this, it is what it is. If I do, happy camping everyone!

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:23 PM   #19

What’s happening on the West Coast

We’re pleased to see that our California state/county parks are trying to control the “bot” registrations and people who reserve multiple parks because they consider it cheap option to have choices. There’s a growing program to free-up sites that are unoccupied but it’s sure a challenge for the reservation system. Small steps but the park depts are as frustrated as we are.
Heading to Coastanoa KOA today and I like what they’re doing to keep the park pleasant for all. Will report back.
ltnunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:13 PM   #20

I often wish our state parks here in Nevada had a reservation system, but reading about all these problems with them, maybe the 1st come gets a site system isnt so bad.

Of course, you dont know till you get there..😕 In the past few years, they have gone from practically unknown places where only some of us knew about to places it seems everybody and their brother know about. Maybe thats still better than not going at all because the reservation system shows them full...🤷*♀️ Its Nevada...sometimes you get lucky!

Happy trails out there!!
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote