Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #21

If you do go pick it up from FedEx today, how do you know if they are keeping it cold for you? I would say probably not. Plus, it sat on the truck all day during his route.
2010 Ram 3500 4x4 long bed crew cab
2003 Royal Star Venture 1300cc
MontyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #22

OP, I checked the website of that KOA and it doesn't say anything about packages being accepted or rejected. That would be my first step, and so far so good. My second step, with LIFE SAVING MEDICATION, would be to speak with the front desk upon check in and ensure that I would be able to receive my medication there. This isn't an Amazon package, this is LIFE SAVING MEDICATION. Their policy stinks, but if my bride needed that medication, I would ask those questions and possibly sit in the office the entire day to receive the package myself.

All that being said, it is 49 minutes from Kingman KOA to Bullhead City. I've driven further than that for pizza for dinner. Rather than waste time complaining on the internet, I would be driving 49 minutes to get my bride her medication.

In summation, the policy stinks. They probably should do a better job advertising their policy. That said, the onus is upon YOU to ensure you can receive your important package. Good luck.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #23

If I worked there.... there's no way I would sign for someone's package. No telling what could be in the package that you have signed for.

I think it's a good campground policy.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
If I worked there.... there's no way I would sign for someone's package. No telling what could be in the package that you have signed for.

I think it's a good campground policy.
In a way I can't argue with that logic. Some packages require a signature with a picture ID. Most UPS or FedX don't require a signature but for a sensitive package I would be sitting at the CG office and like someone said you can track the actual delivery via your phone and the app for the delivery company. I guess after more thought I have to change my mind and understand why a CG wouldn't want to be responsible for something like time critical/life saving meds. In a callous way it is important to you not them and its kind of like the commercial where a homeowner is asking a neighbor to get a couple contractor quotes and book an appoint for him. Like that would ever happen.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
OP, I checked the website of that KOA and it doesn't say anything about packages being accepted or rejected. That would be my first step, and so far so good. My second step, with LIFE SAVING MEDICATION, would be to speak with the front desk upon check in and ensure that I would be able to receive my medication there. This isn't an Amazon package, this is LIFE SAVING MEDICATION. Their policy stinks, but if my bride needed that medication, I would ask those questions and possibly sit in the office the entire day to receive the package myself.
and that we did, we have had 4 packages delivered to this KOA before this nightmare - each one was waiting for us at the mail stop at the back of the store. I called the office the morning it was to be delivered and provided them with the details of the package because it says refrigerated perishable product. NO policy was posted at the mail stop, or anywhere else on the property - it is verbal only.
Quote:
All that being said, it is 49 minutes from Kingman KOA to Bullhead City. I've driven further than that for pizza for dinner. Rather than waste time complaining on the internet, I would be driving 49 minutes to get my bride her medication.
The KOA rejected the package and advised the driver to return it to sender. The package was already on its way back to the originator, it was not flagged for re-delivery or flagged for being sent to the local FedEx office. It actually was going to Las Vegas. This was being delivered by a special Fedex delivery van, NOT the Ground truck that arrives each day about the same time - this truck does not arrive every day - only when a next-day-overnight package is delivered.

Quote:
In summation, the policy stinks. They probably should do a better job advertising their policy. That said, the onus is upon YOU to ensure you can receive your important package. Good luck.
Agree... thus the advance discussion we had with the front office BEFORE it was rejected - that discussion gave us nothing contrary that they would accept the package like all the others they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyRV View Post
If you do go pick it up from FedEx today, how do you know if they are keeping it cold for you? I would say probably not. Plus, it sat on the truck all day during his route.
We did finally get the package... later in the day - as Fedex advised him to bypass the KOA and call us when he arrived. We had to meet him outside the entrance. After a short discussion with the driver, and tipping him very generously - he said that he hates to deliver at this KOA as most of his deliveries are signature - and sometimes they reject the entire truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
It could be expensive for you, and I know very well that the insurance company will only fill the prescription at the last minute, but what I did was talk to my doctor and after I received my meds, he gave me another prescription for the same drug. I went to different drug store and got it filled without the insurance company paying. It is an expensive way of doing it, but I have an extra 30 days of the prescription.

As for keeping it refrigerated while traveling, you could keep it in your fridge with ICE packed around it.
This Rx is not stocked in a traditional pharmacy, it only comes from one specialized pharmacy due to the rigid storage requirements, short shelf life cost and a limited customer base. It is stored in our Seneca refrigerator upon arrival, inside a special insulated container in our fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
In our travels we have been in parks with all types of mail and package rules. Just another headache to have to resolve. I sure hope you can get this resolved. Meds are definitely a headache on the road.
Agree... we learned the hard way five years ago... and ever since then we have worked out a cadence of staying two weeks at a RV park during the last of the month so that we can get our meds delivered each month. In the past 21 months we have been "on the road in our Seneca" we have never had an issue with a RV park rejecting our meds. We always let them know that our meds are coming in advance and up to now a fairly simple way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I hear y'all but I think this is often a feature offered and the more customer friendly CG's. A very noticeable and clearly written policy on your receipt and at the check in office should alert you of the policy. I would never expect a CG employee to be responsible for valuable or special handling packages but if you give them authority to sign for you then you accept any liability created later.
EXACTLY! Some of the past campgrounds have a mail acceptance form they asked us to sign, saying that we grant them permission to accept our package and absolve them of liability. (Shady Acres RV Park - Ft Meyers FL)
We got our meds delivered here w/ o any issues either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Campgrounds exist to serve the public. If they provide a comfortable and attractive facility for your stay you are more likely to return and to pass on a good review to others. Those that are more interested in the owners comfort and have restrictive policies that are arbitrary, may not get a lot of return customers. Plan well and choose the nice ones.
... and of course - SHARE your experiences on JOF so that others who are full/part timers can get their medicines without a hassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
A campground has their rules... which we all must follow or leave.

Personally, If this package was so important I would have been at the campground office waiting on the delivery truck. The office knows about what time they arrive each day.
Sure - they have the rules posted, on the handout and have LOTS of rules here... but none of them say anything about packages or mail.

They know about what time the truck might arrive that delivers the daily ground delivery... but a separate "Fedex Expedited" truck delivers the "Priority Overnight" packages. He only arrives when there is a package and at all times of the day - depending on the route.

After all said and done... After we had made multiple calls with Fedex and the Pharmacy, they did attempt re-delivery and we got the package. KOA had no part of assisting, and we were asked by Fedex to meet the truck outside of the entrance. That was at the drivers request (he must know more about this place than we do)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:10 PM   #26

I'd let the owner of the KOA and KOA Corporate that in excess of 50,000 RV owners(JOF members, plus those who just read) just found out how crappy that particular park is since they could G...A....S.. about somebody's health and welfare.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #27

Glad you got it worked out....
Old 05-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I'd let the owner of the KOA and KOA Corporate that in excess of 50,000 RV owners(JOF members, plus those who just read) just found out how crappy that particular park is since they could G...A....S.. about somebody's health and welfare.
As usual Grumpy is on it! That is a horrible policy of that particular KOA. They should be willing to accept it especially if you give them written permission to accept that package.........especially if you provide them with a tracking number which would be available on line.............there's no reason for them not to do that. It would release them from any responsibility.

Frankly I'm kind of shocked at the attitude of some posters. This would be a very upsetting predicament. Unless you are or have been in his position it might be hard apparently for some to show a little compassion. Sometimes not saying anything is the best.
Hope he never has this problem again..............hope you never find yourself in the same predicament.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #29

Slo-poke, you have a point. Your only choice now is to have the three dogs poop on the lawn outside the office . . . . . .
Michael Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We ran into the most awful experience today - the KOA in Kingman AZ refused to accept a package from FedEx today that contains Stacy's life sustaining medicine. Insurance will not ship the medicine until the last day you have a remaining dose, but they ship it next day via FedEx. We are still trying to get FedEx to re-deliver today (instead of returning it to the sender - as it was permanently refused by KOA)

I talked to the most bull-headed lady at the front desk who told me that they flat out refuse all packages that need a delivery verification signature. I then asked to talk to the owner, who echo'ed the same KOA policy, and then called the Corporate KOA office to find out that they let each park establish their own policy from park to park.

Think about this... we are traveling across the country, and we know that we will be at the KOA in Kingman for a few days - we work out having our medicine shipped to the RV Park we will be staying at and we stay an extra few days to make sure that we might get a late delivery.

When we make our reservation in advance of our arrival, they know we are coming, but they will not accept packages either, so you cant have it delivered the day before you arrive either (like most other RV parks will accept your packages if you let them know about it)

Now we are faced with going without life-critical medicine that may not get delivered until next week - that is in a refrigerated package that requires a delivery receipt. I guess I am going to have to stand out at the entrance of the Kingman KOA for then next few days waiting to accept a package at the entrance now. I am so ticked off at KOA...
That really sucks. I also receive a prescription delivery twice a month that needs to be kept refrigerated. One option is to go to the local FedEx depot and pick it up when the truck comes back. They will want to see your identification and make you sign for it.

You can also arrange to pick it up there with out it going out on the truck. When it arrives they will notify you.

Lou
Flyn2High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #31

Quote:
and that we did, we have had 4 packages delivered to this KOA before this nightmare - each one was waiting for us at the mail stop at the back of the store. I called the office the morning it was to be delivered and provided them with the details of the package because it says refrigerated perishable product. NO policy was posted at the mail stop, or anywhere else on the property - it is verbal only.

The KOA rejected the package and advised the driver to return it to sender. The package was already on its way back to the originator, it was not flagged for re-delivery or flagged for being sent to the local FedEx office. It actually was going to Las Vegas. This was being delivered by a special Fedex delivery van, NOT the Ground truck that arrives each day about the same time - this truck does not arrive every day - only when a next-day-overnight package is delivered.

Agree... thus the advance discussion we had with the front office BEFORE it was rejected - that discussion gave us nothing contrary that they would accept the package like all the others they have.

We did finally get the package... later in the day - as Fedex advised him to bypass the KOA and call us when he arrived. We had to meet him outside the entrance. After a short discussion with the driver, and tipping him very generously - he said that he hates to deliver at this KOA as most of his deliveries are signature - and sometimes they reject the entire truck.

This Rx is not stocked in a traditional pharmacy, it only comes from one specialized pharmacy due to the rigid storage requirements, short shelf life cost and a limited customer base. It is stored in our Seneca refrigerator upon arrival, inside a special insulated container in our fridge.

Agree... we learned the hard way five years ago... and ever since then we have worked out a cadence of staying two weeks at a RV park during the last of the month so that we can get our meds delivered each month. In the past 21 months we have been "on the road in our Seneca" we have never had an issue with a RV park rejecting our meds. We always let them know that our meds are coming in advance and up to now a fairly simple way to do it.

EXACTLY! Some of the past campgrounds have a mail acceptance form they asked us to sign, saying that we grant them permission to accept our package and absolve them of liability. (Shady Acres RV Park - Ft Meyers FL)
We got our meds delivered here w/ o any issues either.

... and of course - SHARE your experiences on JOF so that others who are full/part timers can get their medicines without a hassle

Sure - they have the rules posted, on the handout and have LOTS of rules here... but none of them say anything about packages or mail.

They know about what time the truck might arrive that delivers the daily ground delivery... but a separate "Fedex Expedited" truck delivers the "Priority Overnight" packages. He only arrives when there is a package and at all times of the day - depending on the route.

After all said and done... After we had made multiple calls with Fedex and the Pharmacy, they did attempt re-delivery and we got the package. KOA had no part of assisting, and we were asked by Fedex to meet the truck outside of the entrance. That was at the drivers request (he must know more about this place than we do)

its interesting how you have added more information since your original post. I don't know the couple running it, but I do know the owners (same family) and I know IF you had spoken with them they would of accepted the package. I doubt they run a truck out of Vegas, 100 miles away, for a single delivery, it would Normally come to the local FedEx warehouse where it may be put on a special vehicle for immediate delivery.

There is very sound reasons for the policy, if that is the policy...I have worked for this family in other locations and we did accept packages IF THE GUEST WAS REGISTERED ON PROPERTY/. If they were not registered yet, just had a reservation and not arrived, we would not accept packages (same with mail), not knowing if they would actually arrive. Again, IF you had called and spoken with them, I can almost guaranty they would of accepted the package. If folks "assume" that a campground will do something, that is when the problems start... Their is always two sides to the story.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #32

WE always make sure that the campground we are at will accept mail and or packages if we think we may have an important deliver. More & more are not accepting deliveries. May not feel right but always check I never rely on them accepting anything.
nuhddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #33

I am on the road 9 months each year. I have a mail box at my local UPS store for mail. I have the PO forward normal mail to the UPS store. I use the UPS address for stuff the PO will not forward, such as car registrations, medicines, credit cards, etc. I have Amazon and the like delivered to a convenient shipping address locally or to an Amazon pick-up site. While traveling I check to see where we will be and find out who can accept deliveries. My medication that is sent by mail will get returned by the USPS because it can not be forwarded. The UPS store accepts it and mails me a package when and where I tell them.

I always pre-check campgrounds for mail acceptance because many will not accept the liability of signing for a package for someone else. Try looking for FEDEX or UPS stores that will sign for stuff. Might also try any package shipping place near your campground. ALWAYS CHECK IN ADVANCE.
Horizons28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #34

You don't say what kind of medication it is, but I had a similar problem with the insurance company keeping me waiting for insulin, until the last possible moment.
I talked this over with my Dr, who cheerfully upped the dose listed on my prescription...so I now have some leeway st the end of the month.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #35

SloPoke. You can check Amazon, They have mailboxes in several cities, That you can have items shipped to. Check online at Amazon for a list of cities. Hope this helps
Old 05-11-2019, 07:10 PM   #36
75H

Hi SloPoke, glad you got the package! Not sure if the post was an alert on customer service, an inquiry as to what to do next, or curiosity about what other opinions are about the situation.

After reading the responses, I'd have to side best with Riverman. Additionally, if the delivery was for an irreplaceable item and I was tracking the package's hourly progress, I would have been waiting out front to either intercept the delivery truck or to claim it on delivery.

I do understand your complaint, however let me present another viewpoint. We have a relative that manages apartments. Of the numerous daily UPS/FedEx deliveries to the office, there are always several packages that are not picked up by residents.

What is a campground host supposed to do with a mostly transcient customer base and unclaimed deliveries? How should they handle someone trying to pick up a package in someone else's name? Should they photo copy & retain I.D.'s? What about deliveries after a customer has checked out?

Absent a clearly stated policy, I'd never order anything to a campground or hotel without calling first to confirm it is o.k. IMO, just seems like common courtesy, maybe you can see it their way also. Again, glad you finally got the medicine.
75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #37

Quote:
We ran into the most awful experience today - the KOA in Kingman AZ refused to accept a package from FedEx today that contains Stacy's life sustaining medicine. Insurance will not ship the medicine until the last day you have a remaining dose, but they ship it next day via FedEx. We are still trying to get FedEx to re-deliver today (instead of returning it to the sender - as it was permanently refused by KOA)

I talked to the most bull-headed lady at the front desk who told me that they flat out refuse all packages that need a delivery verification signature. I then asked to talk to the owner, who echo'ed the same KOA policy, and then called the Corporate KOA office to find out that they let each park establish their own policy from park to park.

Think about this... we are traveling across the country, and we know that we will be at the KOA in Kingman for a few days - we work out having our medicine shipped to the RV Park we will be staying at and we stay an extra few days to make sure that we might get a late delivery.

When we make our reservation in advance of our arrival, they know we are coming, but they will not accept packages either, so you cant have it delivered the day before you arrive either (like most other RV parks will accept your packages if you let them know about it)

Now we are faced with going without life-critical medicine that may not get delivered until next week - that is in a refrigerated package that requires a delivery receipt. I guess I am going to have to stand out at the entrance of the Kingman KOA for then next few days waiting to accept a package at the entrance now. I am so ticked off at KOA...

Will not help you mutmight help others to post this info (in short version) on RVParkReviews
and any other RV campground listings. In future you should be able to have package held at Fed-Ex office (check with them)
Old 05-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #38

i was a courier for 10 years ran into this a lot - next time leave a signed deceleration at the front desk for staff.. they just cannot sign for it..and if they are still dicks about it go to a local store which has post post boxes for rent , rent one for a few days .. we live in a crazy world where no good deed goes unpunished..
CamperStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #39

If you read their policies they do state that they do not accept packages or mail. Needed to ask before you encountered this problem. I am sorry to hear this happened but again you need to ask and you need to read the fine print. There might be a UPS store that has a mailbox you can rent and accept packages. Good luck. We do KOA all the time and it has been their long standing policy. Now some might but I don't know of any and we have done KOA for over 15 years. When I retire I plan to get a mail for rent because I do know KOA does not accept mail. Period. Good luck.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #40

Saying someone needs to stay home/closer to the source of ANY medication when a viable (multi-billion dollar industry) system and personal plan is in place to ensure consistent availability and delivery of those medications is outrageous. This is not only unhelpful in the conversation, it is hurtful and demonstrates a lack of empathy and humanity.

Having a clear written and posted policy for mail/package service at a campground is a no-brainer and certainly isn't something so rare that it's not like it'd be a waste of time to put something together and post it. Claiming that is a liability they're not willing to accept is a poor excuse for them to not step up and take care of people in a way that they should out of responsibility of providing short- or long-term residence locations.

Unclaimed packages can easily be marked return to sender and sent back with the courier at a future stop at no expense to the campground after X number of days, which should be stated in their policies. Their policy could even absolve them of damage, loss, whatever and they could store the packages in an inexpensive locking metal shop cabinet that only campground employees have a key to if they don't have an otherwise secure location to put them. Build even $0.50 into the price of each site and it would pay for itself + staff having to sign for, sort, handle packages in a very short amount of time - or charge $5 for packages held for pick up, like some franchised UPS Stores do.

My point is, there are multiple simple, viable solutions other than "just stay home".

Location, service, and amenities obviously play a role in picking a campground, weighing differently in importance to different people and I'm glad to have had the OP share their experience for us to consider (and that the meds eventually arrived safely!) & for responses that were positive and helpful suggestions that were shared.
a1i50n is offline   Reply With Quote