Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #11

No sense leaving the AC on if you're not going to be there. If you've got vent covers leave them open a bit and leave one of your awning windows open a crack to let some air circulate.

wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #12

Red face

All good points and makes sense! Seems like this is all we think about and I'm sure we're over thinking. Just can't wait to start this adventure! The camper gets moved to the seasonal site this weekend and just found out our pontoon has arrived so we're chomping at the bit to get this show on the road. We hope to post some pictures soon!

I did think of one dumb question this morning and I'm almost embarassed to ask. We've never camped anywhere with full hook-up so this is all new to us. When you are connected to water do you need to turn on your water pump? I can't remember what they told us at walk through and I sure don't want to turn it on and blow out the plumbing :hihi: Is it strange I have dreams about these things??? Can't thank you all enough for the helpful advice!

Mike & Michele Arnold with Maddie Jo & Molly (Cavachons)
2011 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
2010 F150 4 x 4 Super Crew V8 w/Max Towing Package
2011 Bennington 24 SLi Pontoon
Headed to the Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #13

When connected to shore "water" services, the TT's water pump is turned OFF (left off).

Actually.... Your questions / conerns about shore water is a good one.

Unknown to some, the shore power water hose connects to your TT's "shore water" inlet (not the holding tank's fill inlet). Thus, shore water bypasses the TT's fresh water holding tank.

Some CG sites have "too much" water pressure and others have poor water pressure. When water pressure is too much, it might blow your TT's inner piping. Especially since most inner water piping is cheap (low cost) plastic. If you feel your shore power water pressure is too much, do install an inline water pressure regulator. Various models at: http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pr...Regulators.htm

If you install an inline water pressure regulator at a CG that has poor water pressure (and your taps and shower dribble out instead of flowing out), simply remove the water pressure regulator. Or, if adjustable regulator model, simply adjust the regulator's manual settings.

When leaving your seasonal site, its best to turn your shore power water valve to OFF. And, turn on a tap - to remove any existing inner piping pressure (within its plumbing). And, turn off its electric Hot Water heater system as well.

Hope this help....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #14

When you connect the hose to the side of your TT you don't need the pump on. The waterpump only pumps water from your fresh water holding tank. It's also used to pump RV antifreeze in your pipes when you winterize. There should be a hose controlled by a valve coming off the waterpump that looks like it doesn't go anywhere. Stick that hose into a jug of antifreeze, turn on the pump, and it will suck the antifreeze and pump it thru the pipes. Remember, there are no dumb questions, just a learning curve. Hope all goes well this weekend.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #15

Smile

You guys are awesome! Your comments jogged my memory. I'm really excited that we won't have to listen to the water pump everytime we turn on the water. I hated to get up in the middle of the night to use the "facilities" and wake up DH and the dog because the water pump kicked on The regulator is on the list to purchase this weekend. I'm thinking we will drain the hot water tank before we leave also. We've camped for five years in a trailer but there still seems to be so much to learn. Thanks again!

2011 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Old 04-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headed to the Lake View Post
.... I'm thinking we will drain the hot water tank before we leave also. ...
To drain the hot water tank, open the water tank access door and remove the plastic plug. This can be done with a wrench. A "pain" but it can be done.

On a few TT's, I seen a hose and a manual valve (available at my Home Depot plumbing parts store) instead of this standard plastic plug. To drain their hot water tank, they open the access door, re-position this short hose (to point downward), then manually open the value. After HW tank is drained, they move its manual valve to OFF, re-position its short hose, then close the access door. For a picture, surf: http://www.modmyrv.com/wp-content/ga...-with-hose.jpg

If leaving the seasonal site during above freezing temps, it isn't necessary to drain its HW tank each time. Simply turn the main "shore power" water supply valve to off, ensure its Hot Water tank "heating system" is turned off and open a sink tap - to release its inner piping pressure. Then, do the reverse steps when returing back to your CG site. Only need to drain its HW tank during cold freezing temps.

Hope this helps as well...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headed to the Lake View Post
The regulator is on the list to purchase this weekend.
Might consider a water filter too if you don't already have one. We have been using the blue torpedo inline one for years.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Wate...-Hose/14504321
Read the directions, you have to flush it out first before hooking it up.

Campground H2O spigot -> pressure regulator -> H2O filter -> hose to camper
Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #18

@Spike99, sounds like a nice idea! We always end up with torn up knuckles from draining the hot water tank - such tight spaces. We always drained our tank in the first camper because the one time we didn't, it smelled horrible. I don't know that we ever truly got rid of that smell!

@Wiscampsin, the filter is on the list also. We were going to purchase one from the RV place that is hooking up the water and connecting the sewer line but it looks like the one from Walmart would be fine and it's probably much more economical! The campground has pretty strict rules about the sewer connection so we are opting to have these folks, who are much more experienced than we are, take care of it. They are also familiar with the owner and his expectations. Again, thank you for the helpful ideas. You've lightened our wallets quite a bit this week.....but all well worth it!

2011 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
Old 04-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #19

HEY JUST ADD TO YOUR POST
I ALSO STUFF ANY HOLES WITH STEEL WOOL THE CRITTERS DON'T LIKE THAT
sorry for the cap letters
wife -betty:D
lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #20

Hey Headed to the lake, when you go get you pressure regulator, pickup a brass 90 deg fitting so your fresh water hose will hang straight of the trailer. I just read that is someones post, sounded like a good idea so i've just returned from my local jayco dealer with the regulator, brass 90 and a clear plastic lens to replace the yellow one on the outside of the tt ( hope it is the same). Happy camping