Jayco RV Owners Forum
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #181
Member
 
gladecreekwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Jackson
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
In the Jackson Ranger district of the Bridger-Teton National Forest. Forest Road 30442 near the boundary of the Elk Reserve and the NF. I hope the NFS does not close this - like they did just south of it in Curtis Canyon.

... the fishing hole in the pictures is up the canyon a few miles. A high clearance 4x4 is required to get to those fish... There were a few mud holes and we had to drive thru standing water for about 100yds too. Once there... over 40 fish in plain sight where we were fishing on the bank.
Ah. You were closer to the refuge boundary. Wondering how you got up there. It’s a beautiful spot. Well done. Did you make it upstream to the old dam? They won’t close that road. There’s a private guest ranch at the end of it
__________________

gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #182
Senior Member
 
SloPoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sandy, Utah (Salt Lake City)
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladecreekwy View Post
Ah. You were closer to the refuge boundary. Wondering how you got up there. Itís a beautiful spot. Well done. Did you make it upstream to the old dam? They wonít close that road. Thereís a private guest ranch at the end of it
Flat Creek Ranch has their gate at the end of the road, we have not gone past the gate and I agree that as long as FC-Ranch stays, that road will stay open.

I worry that they may soon close Flat Creek road to camping all together, since they have closed off all of the spur roads down to the campsites near the creek and they closed all of the dispersed camping spots in Curtis Canyon that would be accessible by a typical RV. The Forest Service seems to manage our Natural Resources by closing them off from the citizens.
__________________

__________________
Steve & Stacy
2015 Seneca 36FK
2007 Toyota FJC - on the trailer

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #183
Member
 
gladecreekwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Jackson
Posts: 31
Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Flat Creek Ranch has their gate at the end of the road, we have not gone past the gate and I agree that as long as FC-Ranch stays, that road will stay open.

I worry that they may soon close Flat Creek road to camping all together, since they have closed off all of the spur roads down to the campsites near the creek and they closed all of the dispersed camping spots in Curtis Canyon that would be accessible by a typical RV. The Forest Service seems to manage our Natural Resources by closing them off from the citizens.
Unfortunately there are a lot of problems up there caused by folks living out there all summer. The housing crisis we have been in cause people to try to camp wherever they can. This has led to a lot of degradation, fires and some crime. Itís so close to town. Next tine this way check out the Gros Ventre area. A bit more remote. The FS up here does a good job of providing access while protecting these areas from literally thousands of people every day in the summer.
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #184
Senior Member
 
SloPoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sandy, Utah (Salt Lake City)
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladecreekwy View Post
Unfortunately there are a lot of problems up there caused by folks living out there all summer. The housing crisis we have been in cause people to try to camp wherever they can. This has led to a lot of degradation, fires and some crime. Itís so close to town. Next tine this way check out the Gros Ventre area. A bit more remote. The FS up here does a good job of providing access while protecting these areas from literally thousands of people every day in the summer.
Oh... I understand --- We had sensed that there was some of that going on along Flat Creek Road while we were there... thus why I made my comments about the risk of closures.
I have spent a lot of time with our local Forest Service Ranger district managers when I was the President of the Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association. We contributed thousands of hours of volunteer work in mitigating some of the same issues.

I have been up Flat Creek in prior visits, and have been all the way to Soda Lake in the Gros Ventre area on prior trips as well... Most of those visits were just before when Yellowstone was closing the south entrance and there was snow. This was our first year to come this early - to fish flat creek.

As you mention... there certainly are some who are abusing the Flat Creek camping limit, we came up on the 31st so that we avoided the 5-day limit that ends on September 1st so we could legally stay our time, but encountered others that have found that the local regulations are not being followed or enforced. And like many in Jackson - Open carry 90% of the time to reduce our exposure to crime.

We had backup camp locations at Crystal Creek CG if Flat Creek boundary did not pan out... The overflow is an awesome backup plan for a rig our size - Fortunately for us- it did.

Next time we come up... We will PM you... It has always been so nice to meet other JOF members while we are on our adventures!
__________________
Steve & Stacy
2015 Seneca 36FK
2007 Toyota FJC - on the trailer

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #185
Member
 
gladecreekwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Jackson
Posts: 31
NW Wyoming

Granite Creek
Attached Thumbnails
34CD466F-74C8-43D7-AA92-4CC4C72BDF76.jpg   42B5803C-26C2-4518-8D20-AB9CBF5EDCA8.jpg   5C12A751-129F-4AB5-A943-4EAD8DE946B6.jpg  
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #186
Senior Member
 
Woodworker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladecreekwy View Post
Granite Creek
Nice!!
__________________
Tight Lines and accurate shots
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #187
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,115
Quartsite 2018 January
Attached Thumbnails
xxcampers fire.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Collingwood
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Quartsite 2018 January
We were there in Jan too. From before the show until after. Stayed off Plomosa Rd north side.
__________________

__________________
'17 Chev 3500HD CC SB SRW DMax, '14 Jayco 361REQS w/extras
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.