Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #1

Question 2018 Ford F350 TPMS Jayco 5vr?

Recently purchased a 2018 Ford F350. The dash has a built in TPMS display for the 5th wheel. Ford wants $600+ dollars for their system that will monitor the trailer tires. I'm not spending that $$$ for TPMS. Checked with E-trailer and they had nothing. checked the innerweb, nothing! Does anyone know of a vendor that has a TPMS for the new Ford?

Thanx
Old 03-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #2

On Ford accessories webpage it shows it retailing for $500.00 (US). That is the wiring, the in-tire monitors, etc. No installation.

Was your quoted price for the parts with installation? If so it might not be too bad considering the tires have to be removed, sensors installed, remounted and reinstalled on the trailer. Plus whatever else might need done to install the additional wiring and receiver.

Maybe someone else here has the system already and can tell you what it takes to install it yourself.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #3

May have been the installed price. Just seems like a lot of money for TPMS! Hopefully someone has a cheaper answer. I know, you DO get what you pay for!
Old 03-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #4

I believe the kit is roughly $400 from internet Ford dealers and it is the only way to integrate with your factory display/monitoring. $600 installed is probably pretty reasonable since the tires will all have to be removed and at a minimum have their beads broken to install the TPMS sensors. There is also a bit of cabling on the truck side and on the trailer to connect the receiver. Lastly, I believe you have to have the ultimate tow/trailering package on your truck for this to work.

Even the decent after market trailer TPMS systems run in the $200-400 range.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #5

I would go for the OEM TPMS, I just don't trust the screw on sensor to the valve stem will react quick enough in some cases. Here is the part number HC3Z-1A189-C, after a quick Google search this supplier in Texas sells the kit for $385 which was the lowest price I saw.

https://www.bayerautoparts.com/oem-p...pms-hc3z1a189c
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:39 PM   #6

Well, as you have figured out there are three choices.

The screw on type that will not interface with your truck.

The inside the wheel type that will not interface with your truck.

The OEM inside the wheel type that will interface with your truck.

FWIW, the screw on type that I have cost right around $350 with the booster transceiver needed for the trailer. It is a pure after market with a separate transceiver that I had to find a place for in the truck.

So, the dealer price, which includes a lengthy installation process, does not seem that bad to me.

PS the screw on types react pretty fast. Most of the time the alarm goes off within a second of when I remove a cap. My reaction to the alarm is MUCH slower

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #7

Thanx for the info folks. I am beginning to understand why they are so expensive. It make sense. Dismount tires, reinstall, wire in transmitter, etc. Something is needed to send info to the dash, so all parts working together, will do that. OEM is the way to go! Once again, thanx!