Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #1

adding a foam topper - or?

I really like the hybrid. But I feel like I'm sleeping right on the board. My old bones are complaining. So, should I add memory foam over the top of the matress? What type and how thick? Any suggestions or tips will be most welcomed. Amazon shows memory foam, gel infused memory foam, green tea memory foam and in 2 3 or 4 inch.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #2

Good luck. There is a ton of different memory foam marketing techniques out there. Not a clue which one is best.

Big issue having a hybrid is storage when the bunk is up. Thin is easier to move around, roll up, maybe place between the mattress, and bunk. Thick is probably more comfortable, but much more difficult to handle every time you setup and tear down. A compromise might be a 3 inch. But what brand, and each brand probably has a different firmness, so that might play into thickness again.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #3

My DW has a memory foam topper for her tent end and it’s 2” thick but I don’t remember what the weight is but I can tell you that it’s heavy ( the heavier the better). When traveling I fold it in 3rds. and set it on the sofa.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #4

We tried a sheet of memory foam and it was a pain. Heavy and clunky to deal with. We ended up with the topper in the link a couple of years ago and sleep just fine now. It's not heavy and is easy to lay out. When we got it, it was only $43. Being Amazon put it in your wish list and wait for the price to drop, that's how we go it.

We also lay out an unzipped sleeping bag flat on top of the mattress topper which adds a little more padding.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #5

Put 2" memory foam on both the bed and bunk area up front. Solved the back ache problem immediately.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:55 PM   #6

We just returned from Walmart. I bought a 2" memory foam. I have my doubts though as I can pinch it down to a quarter inch. Tonight will tell if I wasted my 50 bucks or not. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
I really like the hybrid. But I feel like I'm sleeping right on the board. My old bones are complaining. So, should I add memory foam over the top of the matress? What type and how thick? Any suggestions or tips will be most welcomed. Amazon shows memory foam, gel infused memory foam, green tea memory foam and in 2 3 or 4 inch.
We still have the original mattress that came with our Pinnacle. It was terrible. But instead of getting a new mattress we decided on a topper. A 1000% improvement. It's been about a year and it turned that terrible mattress into the most comfortable one we've had. At $60 for a queen you can't go wrong. BTW it's a 2 inch.

2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #8

Thanks AKRUEBBE, that's encouraging. Hopefully mine will give me similar results.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks AKRUEBBE, that's encouraging. Hopefully mine will give me similar results.
Didn’t expect to hear from you so soon, thought you’d be asleep by now.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:05 AM   #10

We got this one last December: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It is a great improvement to the rock that came with the trailer.

On a side note, it appears inflation is running rampant. We paid $60 nine months ago. It's $110 today!
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:06 AM   #11

After one night, I am pleased. The topper helps. A lot. It could be denser or thicker, but it is definately an improvement.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiToones View Post
We got this one last December: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It is a great improvement to the rock that came with the trailer.

On a side note, it appears inflation is running rampant. We paid $60 nine months ago. It's $110 today!
Yeah, we paid $43 for ours and it's over $80 now.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #13

That looks like a nice one ChiToones. We got a gel infused 2" at Walmart.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #14

We use our Exped Megamat Duo sleeping pads on top of our Teddy Bear mattresses. Super comfortable for us and very simple to deflate. We bought them for use in our tent, but have also used them for extra beds when family visits. Totally worth the money we spent.
TheWeekend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:58 AM   #15

We added the 3 inch blue topper they sell as Costco to ours. We now sleep in the RV just as well as at home.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:07 AM   #16

Quote:
If you can see your body indentations where you slept on the mattress, a topper probably won't help. The mattress that came in our Bungalow was really bad. Even my little wife left an indentation in the mattress. We added a 4" Memory Foam Topper and it just contoured itself to follow the indentations. Even after letting the TT sit 7 months during the off season, the indentations were still there.

If the existing mattress is just too thin, then a 4" Topper will make a big difference. The mattress in our old Hybrid TT was only a 4" piece of foam and I could feel the plywood on my hips. Adding a 4" Memory Foam Topper made for a much more comfortable sleep.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
My DW has a memory foam topper for her tent end and it’s 2” thick but I don’t remember what the weight is but I can tell you that it’s heavy ( the heavier the better). When traveling I fold it in 3rds. and set it on the sofa.

^^ X2 ^^ Except we have toppers for both beds. Both get stored on the sofa when traveling.
cwilly8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:20 PM   #18

It’s usually just the two of us in our x17z, so we double up the mattresses on the front bunk. It makes for a vastly improved sleeping situation. If we have guest grandchildren sleeping with us, we’ll blow up an air mattress for the back bunk. Easier than trying to manage a foam topper.
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #19

We got "this" one 3 years ago. Did the trick, holding up well two trailers later.

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:35 AM   #20

Foam is good !

I have a 2011 X20 and a 2017 X23 here at the house. I sold the 20 to my brother when we got the bigger version. The difference in the mattresses is amazing. Jayco went to Denver Mattress in the new one and it has absolutely no support compared to the older ones that have some solid foam in them. It was so bad that we got foam toppers immediately for the 23 and still were not totally satisfied. We have since swapped one of the mattresses with one from the X20 for our bed and everything is now good. That all being said , I would be sure that the foam you buy is not the softest but a medium foam density especially if your unit has these Denver mattresses. I would have thought that the newer version maybe would have slept better but was very wrong. Storage is not that big of a deal as the beds have to be made up and torn down anyway. We just roll up the foam and put a couple of straps around them and store them on the couch for travel. Its an extra 5 minutes, no big deal. Good luck