Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamdrdream
Anyone have a stroke On-the-road? Looking for positive stories!

On 9/11/2020, I had a stroke in Idaho. Pretty lucky, in a sense....still alive.....still missing some feeling in my body.....unable to walk alone......sight not normal....just arrived in Las Vegas for treatments at a private clinic, that is getting amazing results. Plus all other medical is better here! Family had to help us get here. We are full timers. No particular place to be......my stroke was Wallenberg Syndrome.....anyone else? Looking for "success stories"! I was a very healthy and active 55 year old. My fiancé is 29. Lots to stay positive about.....just looking to fill my "positive tank" a bit more!

We've got a 2020 Jayco 334 RLOK travel trailer (40 ft.) with all the extras, and towing with a 2016 Ram 3500....so, we're set for comfort!
Iamdrdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
Site Team

We camp with a club frequently and many are older than your age.

In the last 15 years, We have had 2 heart attacks and one stroke among our group. They all recovered to camp another day thanks to other club members and nearby medical care.

On one occasion, I drove a friends rig home for him and my wife drove ours home.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We camp with a club frequently and many are older than your age.

In the last 15 years, We have had 2 heart attacks and one stroke among our group. They all recovered to camp another day thanks to other club members and nearby medical care.

On one occasion, I drove a friends rig home for him and my wife drove ours home.

Thank you for sharing this! I know I'll get better..."Normal"? Not sure. But today I was pretty down....reaching out to my Community!
Old 09-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #4

A few years ago (about 8) we rallied with someone that had a stroke. They returned to RV'ing with limited mobility and enjoyed every minute of it.

Three years ago I had a heart attack (age 62 at the time) and triple by-pass. As a result of that and the recovery time we put very few miles on the coach that year and the year following. Since we bought the Accolade in October we have put over 5000 miles on it and we have a 1500 mile trip beginning next Monday.

I am still working and will retire before the end of the year and we are currently planning a 2 month long winter trip across the South and Southwest.

As a note, I have an Implanted Cardio Defibrillator so there are some things I am limited in doing such as no roller coasters (g force impact on leads) or other thrill type events but no issues with RV'ing.

Bottom line is to follow the doctor's instructions for recovery, don't try to be a super hero and give it time. Before you know it you'll be back to traveling the country.

Stay Safe.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #5

No stroke stories here just prayers and encouragement for a full and quick recovery!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
A few years ago (about 8) we rallied with someone that had a stroke. They returned to RV'ing with limited mobility and enjoyed every minute of it.

Three years ago I had a heart attack (age 62 at the time) and triple by-pass. As a result of that and the recovery time we put very few miles on the coach that year and the year following. Since we bought the Accolade in October we have put over 5000 miles on it and we have a 1500 mile trip beginning next Monday.

I am still working and will retire before the end of the year and we are currently planning a 2 month long winter trip across the South and Southwest.

As a note, I have an Implanted Cardio Defibrillator so there are some things I am limited in doing such as no roller coasters (g force impact on leads) or other thrill type events but no issues with RV'ing.

Bottom line is to follow the doctor's instructions for recovery, don't try to be a super hero and give it time. Before you know it you'll be back to traveling the country.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for sharing!
Old 09-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
No stroke stories here just prayers and encouragement for a full and quick recovery!!

Thank you!
Old 09-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Damn, glad to hear you're doing better! All kidding aside, I'm your age also and if I had a 29 year old Girlfriend I would have a stroke too.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Damn, glad to hear you're doing better! All kidding aside, I'm your age also and if I had a 29 year old Girlfriend I would have a stroke too.
"There may be snow on the roof top but there is a fire in the furnace."
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post

I've got a lot to live for! Lol
Old 09-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
"There may be snow on the roof top but there is a fire in the furnace."

You all have made my day! Thank you!
Old 09-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #12

I pray for a speed recovery!

Not a stroke, A buddy had a heart attack on a Friday or Saturday night. DW drove him to the hospital instead of calling 911. Hospital reamed them both out! If he had call 911 the hospital would have been ready for them, with immediate care ready. He had a single bypass surgery that evening. Released on Monday, Went to scouts for a few minutes that evening. That following weekend went cabin camping with the scouts with a lot of restrictions. We would not let him do anything. Once he recovered, a month or two later he had another bypass surgery (I think a double) for a couple 97+% blockages. Big diet and life style change. Its been about 6 years, and he is hard at it again.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:43 PM   #13

No stroke stories, but I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:59 PM   #14

At 29, SHE prolly gave him the stroke! Lol!
If you're down, just watch one of those lame reality shows on TLC like 90 day fiance, My Supersized 600lb life, etc... things in your life suddenly seem a whole lot better. Lol!
Thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery!!!
Old 09-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6690.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	64111
Saw this today.....!
Old 09-29-2020, 08:25 PM   #16
Site Team

I can see you have a great sense of humor! When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! Not anywhere near your situation, but compression fractures in my back forced me to retire early. Neuropathy in one leg that'll never get better, so now I use a cane, move much slower that I used to, and adapt to every situation the best way I can. You'd be surprised how many people see me coming with a cane, and will hold doors open for me. Life is good!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #17

Attitude is very important and it sounds like you are doing fine in that area. Asking for recommendations and advice is all part of coping. In January I was a healthy 76 and finally trading for a new off-road vehicle that I had been looking at for a year or so. In February I got very very sick. In March I got much better but lost the use of one of my lower legs and have 24-hour pain. Surgery is not available for this problem. But I've learned to ignore the bad and enjoy life doing what I can still do. We see vets with no limbs, five year olds with cancer. We're not so bad off. Me?Looking forward to using that new ORV again . And you will continue to enjoy that fiver!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #18

Good luck to you.
Worshamrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #19

With as much seriousness as I can muster, enjoy every Sunrise. And celebrate every Sunset!

For me, GOD gives me a day and I work hard to make the best of it. Enjoy every day.
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #20

Twenty years, age 51, ago I had a stroke while in the doctor's office. He told me that I needed knee surgery, because that's where it first hit. At home a few hours later my hand quit working; both right side. I called the doctor and he said not to worry. Then the next week he dropped me as a patient saying he didn't like my insurance, BC/BS. So I found a new doctor who collaborated with a neurologist. They decided I had a stroke, but the damage was done. Now I get around with a walker and it's tough setting up, etc. I don't move so good but I got my trigger finger back last year. During the time I learned to shoot left handed. So I'm still pulling a fiver, going to places, and plan to continue, albeit slowly and with a lot of stops. My next goal is to try to get on a bike. BTW we have pulled over 150,000 miles since 2006 and spent over 3 months each year in an rv. I'm slow but still on this side of the grass. Also, I'm a lot stiff and my favorite tool is a 3 foot grabby thing.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote