Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2018, 07:29 AM   #1

Anyone travel with full fresh water

Will be traveling from New York to Florida on Saturday. would like to fill up the fresh water tank which is 75 gallons of water and stay at the Walmarts overnight (2 or 3 nights) to save on money. has anybody done this and has anybody had problems doing it.

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:45 AM   #2

You will be hauling an extra 600 pounds. Walmarts are open 24/7 so their restrooms would be available to you, why haul all that extra weight.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #3

I haul with fresh water, but that extra weight will affect your gas mileage especially over any passes. Iím on the west coast, not sure what you have. I also like the quality of my home water, donít trust some of the campground stuff. Either way I still drink bottled.
3 nights, you could probably get by with 50 if you conserve.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
You will be hauling an extra 600 pounds. Walmarts are open 24/7 so their restrooms would be available to you, why haul all that extra weight.
None of the WM near us are open past 10 PM so don't rely on them everywhere for a three am bathroom visit.

If you are going down 81 there are a lot of hills and that would affect your mileage.. If you are subjecting yourself to the agony of DC and Baltimore the terrain along 95 is flatter. But that 600 lbs will affect braking and the traffic could be bumper to bumper at 80 mph.

Both well used. Now up to 170 nights camping and 40,000 miles on the TT since purchase.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

Towing with full water tanks is fine..
The only downside it the extra weight.

Extra weight equals more fuel to keep it all rolling along.
You want to "budget" at a Walmart so costs must be a concern to you.

That big V-8, 4.10 axle, one ton dually 4x4 loves fuel....
Pay me now or pay me later might be appropriate in your case
Old 11-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #6

With your rig, I'm not sure the extra weight of a full water tank will be that big a deal.

That being said, you probably don't NEED a full tank for 3 over-nighters and incidental stops on that trip. We can get by pretty easily on about 10 gallons (est) a day, including showers and bathroom use. Showers take about ~3 gallons each (Navy style), the toilet is less than a gallon each flush (use the bathrooms at fuel stops and rest areas whenever possible instead), no dishes (use paper/plastic), and we drink "bottled" from a refillable 5-gal water cooler jug with a manual pump that we fill with RO water. Hand washing uses a little bit too, but again, use on-the-road facilities whenever possible.

And remember, that water goes in your waste tanks after you use it, so be aware of your waste tank levels as you go along.

Now, after I've said all that, I generally will travel with a full tank almost every time regardless of distance in my MH. We use it extensively, and I've been caught at a park where no water was available (boil water notice for bacteria, NOT putting that through my system under any circumstances). When we towed our trailer (80 gallon FW capacity), I would generally travel with about half capacity if not full tanks.

Sure, it's a bit of weight, and it's a "live load", so it COULD create some extra movement in your rig. But with my TT, I had the capacity for the extra weight, and the "sloshing" never bothered me (I don't know that I ever even noticed, really). Same with my MH. To me it's worth it to have a known good source of water on-board. Especially when I'm going to be out on the road that long.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-1997 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Toad)
-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Soon to be Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #7

Unless I know there are no hook-ups where I'm going, I keep the tank with only a few gallons. I like having water for potty stops, etc. My tank is in the rear and I need as much pin box weight as possible so I keep it pretty low, or even empty when possible.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
Will be traveling from New York to Florida on Saturday. would like to fill up the fresh water tank which is 75 gallons of water and stay at the Walmarts overnight (2 or 3 nights) to save on money. has anybody done this and has anybody had problems doing it.
We have towed with full water the length of the Alaska Hwy and back to the Cont. Us, 3,000 with no issues. Will and Marge Jayco Whitehawk 31ft
Micromagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #9

What Camper_bob said.

We ALWAYS have our fresh water tanks full when traveling and have never had a problem with it.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #10

I've travel with water but keep it to a minimum amount (5 ~ 10 gallons) for mainly flushing the toilet if we have to pull off and use the bathroom if there is no where convenient to pull in and use.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote