Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #1

Backing in your driveway when cars are in the street

We just got new neighbors across the street and it looks like they have a larger family. For the last eight years we had the same neighbors and they never parked on the street so backing into my driveway wasn't an issue. But when I back in, I pretty much use the entire width of the street to get enough angle on the back in. I'm afraid that if they start parking on the street, this could be a problem for me.

Anybody have any experience with this? Do I plan on knocking on their door each time I need to back in? Is there a way to change my angle or approach to account for a smaller available width?

It seems that every video on YouTube that has someone demonstrating backing in procedures puts it up there with a pretty open surrounding. There's one I see posted here a lot but the guy doing it is in a parking lot as big as a football field. I've never found a good RV backing in / tight squeeze video. Maybe that's what I need?

Surely someone has gone through this before. Looking for any tips or practical advice.

Thanks in advance!
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Unfortunately, this video is also made in an open yard. You will still have to account for front end swing. But, this one on 90 degree backs may be helpful.

2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #3

I've had the same type of issue with my street. Family across the street that were originally small kids over time turned into a family with teenagers with teenage friends that always parked in the street.

We get along with them good and just let them know that we needed the full street when backing in or pulling out with the trailer. If they see us coming or in the street they will come out and move, but most time have had to go to the door to ask them to move so we can park. They are good about it and only takes a few minutes.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #4

I have a similar situation. I have learned to manuver the TT better in tight spots just by years of practice and use. Videos may help but practice, practice, practice. Try finding a large parking lot and back into the parking space....set up buoys to mimic your potential street width situation. That may help you.

Good luck and Happy RVing,
Jeff

PS. I don't think your neighbors would appreciate you asking but if you develop a friendly relationship with them then maybe it would be OK to ask.
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #5

I deal with it after every trip. They also park close to my driveway. I also have the challenge that my driveway is only 2 feet wider than my TT, and it has retaining walls on each side. Very tight fit.

I have no video how I do it, so hopefully I can describe the maneuver. First off, my DW gets out and we use cell phones to communicate (can't see her most of the time in the mirrors).

When I pull up, I do a what I call an S-wave. That is as I arrive, I drive the TV towards the other side of the street (~100ft early), then bring the nose of the truck towards my driveway (as if I was going to pull into my driveway), then turn again towards the other side of the street (pulling far enough forwards ~60'+). This gets the back end of the TT already partially turned and aligned to back into the driveway. I start backing in. Once I get to the retaining wall, I usually have to pull forwards, to straighten out. Continue backing up (cell phone spotter), and watching the mirrors and all the cars. Often I have to pull forwards again to straighten out. I also have to backup a 10% grade hill, so at this point I drop the TV into 4 wheel Low, and back straight in.

When we first moved in to this house, the neighbors would move the cars when I came home, and would have an audience watching me, but everyone is so use to me doing it, they don't come out any more.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
Site Team

We live on a fairly wide side street in town, and the neighbor across the street has a huge driveway. Enough to park at least eight or nine cars. There's only four cars in the family. Unfortunately, there's always someone in the family that LOVES to park in the street, directly across from our driveway. We get along well with them, so I mentioned it to him, and he gave me his cell number to call if that happens when we return from a trip.
It's gotten to be sort of a game with the DW. We'll be close to our street and I hear "So, will there be a car in the way today?" Sometimes we bet each other dinner out on the outcome.
We always back in the driveway, and keep the vehicles in the garage. If there's a car there, I'll pull up to it very close, and see if they notice. I think I've only had to call him once or twice to move a car, when the trailer was with us.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #7

Agree with @Jagiven, the S-Wave as he calls it (we call it "the scoop") can be very helpful in tight situations. Don't use it at home, but we manage to back into some very tight campsites with one lane access and trees all around.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #8

That s-wave is a good description. I do it with two spotters with radios, DW watching the back of the trailer, and one of the kids in front of me watching the right front corner of the truck making sure I clear the parked car across from my driveway, I'm watching my left side trailer tires in relation to the parked car on my side of the street in my mirror.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #9

It happens to us occasionally too. We live on a bay, so if someone's car is in the place where I need to occupy to back the trailer into the driveway, I just go around the bay and come in from the other side. Since I'm not used to it, it sometimes takes me a bit longer to get everything in straight. Unfortunately, even without the other car there, I'm taking up half the street until I can get everything chocked and unhooked, so traffic has to go around me. With another car parked there, everyone either has to wait until I'm done, or they have to turn around and go the other way. Fortunately, in the number of years that we've had the trailer, it's only been problem 3 or 4 times.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #10

We used to have people park in front of our driveway making it difficult sometimes to back out without runnin thru the grass. One day when I was trying to back the utility trailer up the driveway I told em if they parked there again I would knock there car down the hill of their yard with my truck. Said a few more choice words as I maneuvered the trailer up the driveway an it worked. They never parked across the street in front of our driveway again.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #11
Site Team

I have a friend with not so friendly neighbors. It's so bad that he has to avoid coming home on Sundays with the trailer.

He always stays an extra day.

Fortunately, I can pull in my yard and have room to back under my shed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have a friend with not so friendly neighbors. It's so bad that he has to avoid coming home on Sundays with the trailer.

He always stays an extra day.
I don't think I'd mind neighbors who "forced" me to camp an extra day all the time. That's a first world problem I could live with!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:22 AM   #13

Not so much a technique but a reminder,"don't be I a hurry just because you will probably be blocking traffic for a few minutes. Hurrying usually just ends up taking more time and often leads to unintended consquences.

Resently needed to back my TT into a sister in laws very tight driveway in a somewhat private golfing community down on the gulf. The windy road was barely 2 lanes wide and I had to deal with low overhanging limbs from one of the famous live oak trees. I waited to mid morning to avoid blocking the road with people heading off to work or worse coming in to make a tee time. Never the less I was maybe 5 minutes into the effort and largely had my 34' White Hawk lined up and in position to back out of the road and there he was. A golfer wildly waving his arms and yelling obsentitives. With the wife on the 2way radio I calmly continued and 2 minutes later the road was cleared. Hoped the gentleman had a nice round but frankly I couldn't care less.

Wise to pick your time, use a spotter with a radio, and walk thru the technique you want to perform. Take your time and be prepared to tweek the plan where necessary.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #14

Thanks for the replies. I've used the scoop a few times in campgrounds. Backing into my driveway has always been relatively pain free. Just hoping it can stay that way with the new neighbors.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:40 PM   #15

I use the grass when leaving so the same applies coming back. I stay on far side of road and hope I dont curb with front axle too much getting it where I need it.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #16

Just don't do it this way!

1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:31 PM   #17

My neighbors are from Nepal and always have a lot of family visiting. If someone has a car parked in my way, I send one of the kids over to get someone to move.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:08 PM   #18

this has to be one of the hardest spots out there.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:46 PM   #19

I have the same problem, but it is because I have a U shaped driveway. I get to the middle of the U then need to back up 90 degrees into my TT cover. Like a U done in cursive with the one leg sticking down. The leg is where the trailer gets parked. The whole driveway is narrow with no room to correct, and its elevated with an 10’ Drop off on one side. And its all dirt
Old 06-29-2019, 02:39 PM   #20

Don’t know what your tow vehicle is, but if you can find a front-end hitch for it, it’s much easier to back it up in tight spots. Most pickup trucks can accommodate them. Worth looking into....