Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2022, 12:32 PM   #1

Bauer key question....maybe a little rant too.

Has anyone found a replacement key blank without the plastic egg shaped head that actually work in the Bauer lock?

I used search to no result so......Bauer makes a decent lock set and I'm OK with what I have, However, the stupid egg shaped plastic key heads drive me nuts. I'm sure some product manager got a raise over the cool factor they came up with but it's a stupid design. You can't just wipe them off with a wire wheel since they don't have a metal core that the plastic goes onto. They don't sit on a key ring properly as is and I want a replacement with the plain old flat metal key blank. Bauer tells me they don't exist. I don't believe them. They just don't know who has them. Do you?

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Has anyone found a replacement key blank without the plastic egg shaped head that actually work in the Bauer lock?

I used search to no result so......Bauer makes a decent lock set and I'm OK with what I have, However, the stupid egg shaped plastic key heads drive me nuts. I'm sure some product manager got a raise over the cool factor they came up with but it's a stupid design. You can't just wipe them off with a wire wheel since they don't have a metal core that the plastic goes onto. They don't sit on a key ring properly as is and I want a replacement with the plain old flat metal key blank. Bauer tells me they don't exist. I don't believe them. They just don't know who has them. Do you?

Not enough info in your post, don't post your key code, but this may work. Check this site for a BAU3 blank.
https://mysecuritypro.com/BauerBAU3KeyBlanks.aspx
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:09 PM   #3

I think it depends on the code/series of key that you have. Bauer sells the keys alone, and at decent price with quick turnaround.
https://bauerproducts.com/product-ca...lacement-keys/
Old 05-18-2022, 05:23 PM   #4

Amazon has pre cut Bauer keys 2 for 7.99.
I got extras when I dropped one of mine and did want to camp with only one for both of us.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:03 AM   #5

thanks, but I don't want a Bauer key with the plastic head on it. I have those and hate them. That's all that is on the sites you guys are recommending. Here's what I know...the egg shaped plastic keys are made in two series...300 and 700. The difference is that the 300 is one sided and the 700 is two sided. I sent off to Hillman to get some more clarification of the BAU3 key...it says universal two sided on line, but doesn't state which Bauers it will replace. All those other keys in the first post have nothing to do with either of those two series and they are all tumbler series used in a variety of industries not related to RVing. The plastic egg head shape identifies a lockset that isn't tumbler based according to my local locksmith who tried and failed.

This why I was asking for someone with experience who successfully found a resource that made a key that didn't have the plastic head on it, but worked.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #6

I dont have any of those keys, mine are the all metal type. Hopefully this is not a stupid question but have you tried using a Dremel or knife to cut the plastic off and see if there is metal under it?
Old 05-19-2022, 09:31 AM   #7

yes....I used a wire wheel on one of our 3/4 hp bench grinders. All that's under the egg is a stub of metal that locks the two parts together. Not enough room to even drill a hole without interfering with the shoulder. Believe it or not, there are blanks with just the metal head (still in the egg shape tho) for the single sided 300 series keys. (bau2 1648) Go figure.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:01 AM   #8

Bet a locksmith has several walls full of key blanks. Some times you just have to shop local.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
== > The plastic egg head shape identifies a lockset that isn't tumbler based according to my local locksmith who tried and failed.

This why I was asking for someone with experience who successfully found a resource that made a key that didn't have the plastic head on it, but worked.
Not sure what you were willing to bet, but I would have taken your bet and your money too. You missed that in my post. He's twenty five years in biz....and local with a wall full of keys. He does all of our property changes as tenants come and go.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:52 AM   #10

I bought several 963 Bauer keys from eTrailer without the plastic head. Not sure if the code changes anything. I actually wanted the plastic but couldn't find any in my case..

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:59 AM   #11

On to the next problem since this one won't be solved anytime soon if ever.

I just got off the phone with one of the largest multi brand key blank distributors and they have never found a non plastic headed version of Bauer series 700 which is widely in use and fairly common across more than just Jayco. Its appeal is the one key fits all locks and I'm sure the price is right since it's not a tumbler lock (cheaper to build).

Old 05-21-2022, 06:55 AM   #12

I not sure what series I have but the OEM key is egg shape and double sided all metal. Not more than a month after we bought our 2019 Jayco had our friend and local locksmith make me 2 extra keys for it and they are just the standard round head metal key.
[IMG][/IMG]