Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #1

Black water tanks always reads full

I have a 2018 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS (Out of Warranty) and the black water tank always reads full. I have emptied it while running the tank rinser with no change. I even over filled the tank (rinser) until water came out of the roof vent. Any ideas, fixes, or do I need to replace the tank probes.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #2

I had the same problem with one of my grey tank probes. I saw an ad for Tank Blaster and gave it a try. I had to use it twice, but now the tank reads "empty" when drained. Might give it a try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #3

It's a common problem: Solid 'stuff' gets caught on the tank sensors causing faulty readings. There are after-market sensors that can be installed that don't seem to have the problem, but they are expensive.

I'd suggest not filling the black tank to the point it flows out of the roof vent!
Some use various types of chemicals or water pressure wands to dislodge the the 'stuff' with varying degrees of success. Search this site and I'm sure you'll find ideas.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #4

Perfectly normal, works as designed 50 years ago... why changing a proven recipe, welcome in the world of RVing where evolution is a vague concept :-)

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #5

It's a common issue. Most of the time it is TP stuck on the sensor probes. Some people swear by putting 20# of ice cubes down the tank and then go for a drive. The idea behind it is; The ice sloshes around and knocks the crude off the walls and sensors. The ice melts and you can drain the tank, without concerns.

I have had good luck with adding a bit more water than normal after dumping the tank and add 1/2 to 1 cup of liquid fabric softener. Then go for a drive. Some people use a salt called water softener. Both products change the water's surface tension properties, and allows the water to soak into the debris, and it washes off the sensors. I commonly repeat about three times.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlouks View Post
Any ideas, fixes, or do I need to replace the tank probes.
Common issue across other brands of RV's too. I would recommend doing more research on how to maintain the RV black tank. You tube videos, etc. I have had 3 RV's and will share what I do.

I don't always drain the black tank when leaving a site. I'll drive home while it sloshes around. The poo can get piled up, or crusted on. Sloshing it around helps break down any solids that the tank chemicals didn't. OR drain the tank before leaving camp, rinse the tank, then add water. I have also used soapy water. Then drain/rinse when I get home. Then add water to the tank before storing the camper. Like soaking the dinner dishes.... The next time I go to use it I'll rinse the tank.

I always like to travel with 5-10 gallons of water in the black tank. If I'm leaving on a trip I add the tank chemicals. If it's between trips I just use city water. This helps control the odors that can drift in the camper from an empty black tank.

There are products you can buy that have some enzymes in them that claim they help with cleaning the sensors. I have not tried them, but heard good things about them.

The black tank rinse is a cool option, but I'm not sure it's super effective at cleaning off the sensors. I've used it for long periods of time without great success. But 20 gallons of water sloshing around in a tank going down the highway has been pretty darn effective.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote