Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #1

Breaking Wind

Anyone ever experiment with any aerodynamic products? Just curious if anything could make a noticeable improvement in mileage. Is an enclosed underbelly an aerodynamic feature? Or just for cold weather/insulating? I wonder if there is anything available for tt's like what I've seen on the back of tractor-trailers lately.http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/...hp?catid=WINGS http://fleetowner.com/site-files/fle...11/01/atd3.jpg

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
Site Team

I think it is multi function. I like that the underbelly is protected from road grime. It also provides a baffle to hold heat near the enclosed thanks and lines, even though not air tight it does keep the area from freezing if the furnace is running.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #3

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
From the title of your thread I thought this was going to be a whole different conversation.

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #4

I was a little nervous to click on this post.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
From the title of your thread I thought this was going to be a whole different conversation.
LOL. Same here.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #6

Back about the late 80's my father in law pulled a 5th and used something similar to what you see on semi's, a large wind deflector. When not needed it folded down - blocking the rear window view. Standing upright it looked good; I don't know if it really did much towards improving the MPG, its advertised purpose.

Now please excuse me, I feel the wind.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #7

I thought the thread title might get a few more looks....A few laughs and maybe learn something in the bargain....I was actually noticing some trailers with what seemed a more aerodynamic nose than the Octane. A nice rounded fiberglass cap on front. I wish the Octane had that. The one link I put (first one) had a pickup truck wing halfway down the page. Maybe like the one Wrascal was describing. I wonder if the trailer front needs to be a certain distance from it to be effective. An instance where a 6' bed would be better. Mines 8'
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #8

I have to wonder if something like this would be worth it to the average RVer. You might see a fraction of a mile difference. This wouldn't mean much to someone who tows 2-5K miles per year. However, on a big rig that goes hundreds of thousands of miles, a little difference translates to big money. The payback period would be truncated significantly.

Then again, I posed the question a while back because of something I saw in an RV park, and the consensus was that it wasn't worth it. I was intrigued by the idea because the front of my trailer is VERY flat and VERY vertical. I was thinking if I could sling the air up over the top of the tall vertical surface, it might make some significant difference...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0300.JPG  

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #9

I would be curious to know those Air Fairings work as well for kicking the air upwards by the time the trailer hits it.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #10

It seems to me that a truck with a cap on it or an SUV would get better mileage simply because air doesn't go over the cab, then down behind the truck and slam into the front of the camper. It SEEMS that having the air slam into the front of the truck and front of the trailer would result in more resistance... therefore having it only slam into one would create less resistance.

But what do I know...

I'm also the guy that wonders why long haul buses and Class A campers have such a flat front. Seems awful inefficient.

spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote