Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2021, 03:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Thanks for your response. I am looking at both options. Unfortunately, I cannot find what I want used. Been looking everywhere. My hunt will continue.
I am curious as to what you are considering? A thought to share, (other people will have different thoughts for sure), is that I wanted to make sure this time that everything was easily accessible and liveable with the slides in. That likely isn't as important to some RV'rs though. ~CA
Old 03-03-2021, 03:30 PM   #22

Class A or Super C

Super C. An Entegra Accolade 37TS or Seneca 37TS. Both hard to find right now. Cannot find one in stock or to drive. I want to drive it.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:37 PM   #23

I have looked at the Seneca 37TS (not sure if the Accolade's are the same). In any case, yes indeed, they look great and being a Freightliner, I think you couldn't go wrong. They are very impressive for sure and if I was to go fulltime I would consider one as well (hard to justify for me now, as I don't RV nearly as much as I should or would like to). Good Luck in your search. ~CA
Old 03-03-2021, 06:44 PM   #24

A new trailer is unmolested. There was no previous owner(s) that drilled holes to put stupid stuff on it, nor make half arsed repairs that weren't right. It smells like new and it is YOURS to do as you please.

A new trailer has ZERO depreciation. What some people CALL depreciation is merely the cost of the personal satisfaction that you bought something that was totally YOURS.

An added benefit is the satisfaction that you have a warranty.

The downside of buying used is that you you will always wonder if the PO sold it because it was a dog, or simply because they lost interest or couldn't afford it any more.

Having said all that, our first trailer was bought used. It was 22 years old when we bought it, so we didn't expect much. The dealer demonstrated that everything worked so we were happy. At that time we weren't sure if we were going to use much. Turned out we DID use it a lot, and kept it for 31 years. She is now 57 years old and it was the best $900 investment I ever made. We still have her.

Nevertheless, they don't build them like they used to. When we decided to upgrade to have an AC, Microwave, hot water shower, etc. buying new seemed like the best way to go.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:06 PM   #25

Buy New or Used

Hello,
Very different take and most interesting. I really appreciate your view and like it. Thanks
Old 03-04-2021, 12:06 AM   #26

If I can find a good use 2019 or a 2020 I would get it, I ran across a few months ago on a nicely use 2020 Solitude 310GK but before we could work it out with the salesman it was sold.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:09 AM   #27

Buy New or Used

Thanks. I have been searching and like you, I found one and before I knew it, it was sold.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
A new trailer is unmolested. There was no previous owner(s) that drilled holes to put stupid stuff on it, nor make half arsed repairs that weren't right. It smells like new and it is YOURS to do as you please.

A new trailer has ZERO depreciation. What some people CALL depreciation is merely the cost of the personal satisfaction that you bought something that was totally YOURS.

An added benefit is the satisfaction that you have a warranty.

The downside of buying used is that you you will always wonder if the PO sold it because it was a dog, or simply because they lost interest or couldn't afford it any more.

Having said all that, our first trailer was bought used. It was 22 years old when we bought it, so we didn't expect much. The dealer demonstrated that everything worked so we were happy. At that time we weren't sure if we were going to use much. Turned out we DID use it a lot, and kept it for 31 years. She is now 57 years old and it was the best $900 investment I ever made. We still have her.

Nevertheless, they don't build them like they used to. When we decided to upgrade to have an AC, Microwave, hot water shower, etc. buying new seemed like the best way to go.
I’m with you here. Dealing w/ problems on a new rig can be a pain in the backside. However, if they’re MY problems I KNOW they were dealt with the proper way. I take tremendous pride in what I own and I put a lot of TLC in what I own. I would be surprised if I bought something used that was taken care of as well as I would have. So buying new for me is the only way I’d sleep better at night. Fresh off the factory, robust warranty, and any fixes required were done right. The rig’s seals are all fresh when I take it over, and I’m up on that roof at least 4 or 5 times a year inspecting everything. The schwintek slides are lubed, fluid film on the electric steps, etc. Everything gets broken in correctly, etc.

New for me, though I understand the financial benefit of used. If anybody bought something ‘used’ that I traded in, they made out like a bandit !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #29
Site Team

Buying Used is my preference. You just have to be ready to deal because good used ones sell quickly in these times.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #30

Buy New or Used

You sound like me. I take great care of everything I own. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2021, 10:01 AM   #31

I cannot find a used one. Looked everywhere. And, have to order a new one. No new ones out there either.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #32

I tried buying a used TT. After I got it home I realized the water damage was too severe for me to repair. I sold it 10 days later after taking a big hit. (I knew nothing about RV's at the time and trusted the seller thinking he was honest with me as a family friend)
Then I went and bought a new unit.
I am very happy I did that because now I expect everything to work and if it didn't I had a 2 year warranty.
Another big factor I like knowing is HYGIENE: I knew all the people that have used my toilet (and who has NOT) - knew nobody had slept on my bed and and didn't have any other bug/rodent/water/etc. problems previous.
It was a very clean unit that hadn't been used by anyone...this, in itself, gave me a lot of "Peace-Of-Mind" which only you can determine the worth.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Super C. An Entegra Accolade 37TS or Seneca 37TS. Both hard to find right now. Cannot find one in stock or to drive. I want to drive it.

As far as used or new, it all depends on what u find used and what kind of deal you can get on a new one. A used one could be a great savings or a headache if owner is ditching it because it has issues. A new one could have issues too but you’ll have a warranty. Neither of my new bought Jaycos ever needed warranty work. So it’s hard to say for sure either way.

U could get a quote from RVDirect.com to have one built. It’s all online and they email the quote. They have a location near you in Tampa. My sister-in-law and I have both dealt with them and had great experiences. When I bought my last camper I checked everywhere listed on here for good prices and none were as good as RVDirect.

https://www.rvdirect.com/build-quote/
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #34

Back in 11 we went from a tent to a 34' 2004 Montana Mountaineer 5th wheel. Hardly used. It was going to need tires, awning material and slide topper material replaced, but not right away. It was turnkey and we used it the first year with no issues. 2nd year, replaced the above mentioned, and had a couple very minor repairs. Next few years went with no issues until spring of 15 when the floor split from the extremely cold winter we had. DW decided we needed a new unit. Bought a BRAND NEW (other brand) 5th wheel and it turned out to be a total dog pile. Every time we went out with it something broke and it was stuff you'd never find on a PDI. In late 16 we got about $2k less on trade than what we paid for it and couldnt run away from it fast enough. Our current Northpoint (brand new) replaced it and we got a great deal on that and couldnt be happier.
That Montana was a diamond in the rough. Before we found it we looked at a LOT of used units out there and I couldnt believe how poorly people care for and use these things. It's kind of a damned if you buy used and damned if you buy new crap shoot anymore. Some of the horror stories of the new ones out there make you want to go buy used, but what kind of hidden horror stories lurk with the used one that you dont know about...
Old 03-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
Another big factor I like knowing is HYGIENE: I knew all the people that have used my toilet (and who has NOT) - knew nobody had slept on my bed and and didn't have any other bug/rodent/water/etc. problems previous.
It was a very clean unit that hadn't been used by anyone...this, in itself, gave me a lot of "Peace-Of-Mind" which only you can determine the worth.
Totally forgot this part. Yes, people skeeve me. It’s why I’m not a fan of hotels and the like. We tried cabins in RV Parks for awhile, but they are even worse.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #36

[QUOTE=Jopopsy;942635 snip... We tried cabins in RV Parks for awhile, but they are even worse.[/QUOTE]

Now that brings back a funny memory.
Some years ago we were camping at our local KOA on 7/4. Sign at the entrance said no fireworks allowed. Some people in the back of the park were lighting some off and nobody was saying or doing anything about it. So, my smart butt decided to run home and get some BIG stuff. Myself and 2 other camping friends went to the adjacent property behind the campground that is owned by the county and put on a BIG, fast show. KOA "security" found out who we were and what site we were on and threw us out. 2 weeks later we found out first hand the Sheriff Dept Drug Task Force showed up with a search warrant around midnight and raided at least a half dozen of the cabins. Can you spell meth labs?? Lol! The rats from the big city were driving north to our area to "camp" for the weekend and the "mules" were coming in as a visitor, getting their stuff and heading out. Undercover just so happened, ha ha, to be there "camping" too. Imagine that.
Opie and Andy security is so good they throw us out for lighting fireworks that wasn't even on the campground property, yet they got meth labs right under their noses and dont even know it. Lol!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
If anybody bought something ‘used’ that I traded in, they made out like a bandit !
Hahahaha. I thought that was my quote.

If you want a good used car, buy the one I just sold...
Old 03-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Hahahaha. I thought that was my quote.

If you want a good used car, buy the one I just sold...
To the contrary, never buy anything that I sell. I guarantee that it is used up when I let it go....LOL
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
To the contrary, never buy anything that I sell. I guarantee that it is used up when I let it go....LOL
I guarantee it'll never cross my path.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:21 PM   #40

I wouldn't hesitate to buy used, as long as you know what you're buying.
We picked up our 2020 Jay Flight as a used unit. Bought it private sale from the original owners. They optioned it out with a second propane tank and tank cover, 2 deep cycle (group 24) deep cycle batteries and a powered tongue jack.
They decided camping wasn't for them, so we ended up buying it from them for 10K.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote