Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2021, 03:13 PM   #41

Buying used right now is probably the best way to go. However; keep in mind, it is a sellers market right now so depending on what you are interested in, you may be paying pretty close to what the seller bought the trailer for when new. My guess is a year or so from now the trailer market will tumble when all those millennials discover camping isn’t for them and unload their trailers.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
Buying used right now is probably the best way to go. However; keep in mind, it is a sellers market right now so depending on what you are interested in, you may be paying pretty close to what the seller bought the trailer for when new. My guess is a year or so from now the trailer market will tumble when all those millennials discover camping isn’t for them and unload their trailers.
The market is different now. Today, buying new is the only way to go. No sense in paying a new trailer price and getting used.

Once usual vacations come back again, the used market will sink thru the floor and the millenials will be happy to take anything for them.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #43

I was able to get 30% off a factory order. Given historical discounts and the current lay of the land, I’m happy with it.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:36 AM   #44

Buy New or Used

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for your input. I decided to go new. Cannot find a used Entegra Accolade 37TS anywhere on this planet. Just put a refundable deposit down on a 2021. Should have it in a few weeks.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:51 PM   #45

If it's your first camper, I'd recommend buy used. You don't yet know what you like/dislike or need or don't need. Buy a camper around 5 years old. That way you won't take a huge hit in 2, 3 or 4 years when you sell and that camper will help you define what you want/need in a camper.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Hello,

Seeking pros and cons of buying a new or used RV. Any and all input is appreciated.
If this is a first trailer buy used. It will teach you what you like and dislike and what you can and can't live with. Also it will give you an immediate idea of the amount of upkeep you will need to be ready for down the road. Something always needs fixed.
Worst case you hate the lifestyle. It will be easier to sell.
We spent 6 grand on our first class c and kept for 20 years, still have it but now have a jayco eagle. Thought it was perfect for us but there's still things we wish where different.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #47

I'm a little late to the party, but here's my $0.02... When we were looking for our first TT (and our only one so far,) I agonized over the same thing. I did piles of research and decided 2 things... 1) Most RV's (seem to) come from the factory like they were built by monkeys. 2) And new is just too much money.

So I did my homework. When a trailer popped up used that met my needs, I went over it with a fine toothed comb. I eventually came home with a 4 year old TT that seemed like it just came out of the showroom. The previous owner had left all the paperwork. It had been serviced under warranty so many times it was ridiculous. But when I got it, all the bugs had been worked out. I seriously doubt I would ever buy a new RV after all that.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #48

i can tell you anyone buying my used 5th wheel rig will acquire a gold mine.. I have corrected dozen's of factory screw up's and re-did their so called climate package the right way.. Also completely insulated the basement, all water lines and the front storage and upgraded their 4 gauge battery wiring to 2 gauge and installed a complete Solar System.. I would take my 2018 rig over a new one anyway and the next person that owns it should have a maintenance free 5th wheel..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Used: cheaper, in theory the initial problems are solved, you don’t have to feel guilty about the first scratches you cause.
New: it’s new, 2 yr warranty, you get to cause the first scratches.

The 2 units we’ve had were both purchased new.

I agree with Redhorse. To do it over i would go used. At least a yr maybe 2. Mine is 3 now and if i sold it i would feel confident the buyer wasn't getting a bunch of problems cause we have already delt with them. Good luch hope you find something that works for you.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #50

If you can find what you want in a year or two old ...... Thats the way to go because the warrantee is not worth the paper its written on....... Important to do small repairs yourself ...... Also know a trailer rocking and rolling down the road will start to leak around 10 years ..Just expect it so dont go to old!!!
SAMM Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #51

I decided to buy new because I cannot find what I want used. I aprrieciate everyone's input and suggestions. Thank You
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #52

We bought a new motorhome in 2018. Full of problems....the dealer who did the warrantee work not the least of them! While coming back from a Rally we stopped at another dealer, just for a "look see". He had just taken in a better quality coach which we fell in love with. Traded our new coach in for a two year older coach. WHAT A DIFFERENCE...both in the much better quality coach and the quality of the dealer, who really went over the coach we we were buying with a fine toothed comb. We went out of his door and into an 800 mile trip without a flaw. We are still waiting for the first flaw and it's three years later! We'll be having to go for a set of tires, from age, not wear. The upgrade in quality was the best move we made!
SalzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:57 PM   #53

You live in a “Sun Bird State, drive through the rv parks in your area in March/April - usually there are relatively new used rv’s with 4-Sale signs on them, as many want to sell their rigs and buy a park model rather than pull/drive their units back and forth between summer and winter residences. Generally priced much lower and will deal. Good Luck
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:02 AM   #54

I bought our current trailer used and couldn't be happier. The trick to buying used is to be patient, know what you want and keep looking! We purchased from a private owner that could not use it any more due to age and medical issues. Unit was in very good condition, low miles and well cared for. Got the full history and service info. Probably paid less that half the price of a new unit PLUS it came fully stocked with equipment, outdoor accessories and toys!

RV trader is a great place to start your search and allows you to see what all is available and what the average prices are. I found that the majority of units on RV Trader were by dealers and the prices were a little higher. We found ours on Facebook Marketplace. More private owners and better prices.
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #55

Hi,
I just purchased a new Jayco. I have been a TT owner for over 20 years and preferred this option. I have mine on a permanent site in a campground and i have seen many people buy new then have problems with leaks so they sell it. If you don't notice there is water damage then you inherit it. Same with other issues that can come up. With new you get warranty and can get any defects corrected. With used you have to deal with them yourself and it can be costly. I am an advocate of buying new for any vehicle. You know everything works and have a warranty if it doesn't.

The argument that it depreciates right away is valid but if you plan on keeping it a long time that doesn't matter much. If you plan to sell it a year later then that would be a consideration for sure.

Just my opinion!
JimOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #56

If you buy a motor home take it for a test drive before buying. Some people say some don’t handle well a nd takes thousands to correct. If you buy a used RV it would have either no warrenty or 30 day warranty. I bought a used 2017 Keystone Outback 240 URS that looked in excellent condition.Everything worked during the PDI. A couple weeks after getting it home. I started having trouble with the Dometic refrigerator. After $700. and two trips to the RV dealer. They fixed part of the problem, but couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t switch from Elect to propane. Next the Outdoor kitchen propane stove fell off it’s mounting surface. The formica under the cabinets abouve the bed came loose. Then I noticed the plastic strips that cover the roof membrane started cracking. After last winter I noticed the ceiling panel came loose. Being handy I fixed most items. DW didn't like the bathroom so I traded it in on a Jayflight. Have it 8 months and have a appointment to fix workmanship issues. They claim the amish do quality work and workmanship. Their is no quality and good workmanship by the amish building RV’s
mrpavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:14 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpavette View Post
They claim the amish do quality work and workmanship. Their is no quality and good workmanship by the amish building RV’s
Or anything else either. I don't know who "they" are, but they are either misinformed or delusional.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:16 PM   #58

So, now we have a consensus. You should buy new, or you should buy used. Both sides have given compelling reasons to support their case.

The bottom line is that its up to you to decide. And how much money you are willing to spend.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #59
CAG

Interesting thread.

Pretty much new or used you buy problems. New is in some cases an unending list of warranty repairs that leaves you without your rig for months at a time. Used leaves you with whatever problems the previous owner failed to mention and there are some very dishonest sellers out there.

Plan on putting more time and/or money into what ever it is you buy. It is not a pleasant experience in most cases. Sorry, but the RV industry is a buyer beware experience.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:43 PM   #60

Winter is just starting to break in these parts. We were finally able to get the car off the highway. The snowplow hump at the edge of the road has just melted enough that we could drive over it. The driveway had maybe 6-12" of snow on it, but the deer tracks made it walkable. The RV still had a foot of ice laden snow on the roof.

Upon entering we learned that a roof seam had leaked and we had water on the floor. A few buckets in the right places will soak it up until the weather warms enough to fix the roof.

I thought about a warranty claim, but alas the warranty expired 66 years ago. I guess next time I'll buy new and not get a used trailer.