Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2021, 08:34 PM   #1

Canada, here we come!

We had a trip planned for the end of August into BC Canada. Our wildest dreams happened, and the border opened up! We plan on crossing at Peace Arch. We're fully vaccinated and getting a test 2 days prior to the cross.

Has anyone had any experiences, tips or advice for crossing? We're pretty flexible on time and crossing points, has anyone tried farther east?

I've heard horror stories of being stuck for 7 hours at the border. Good thing we have a toilet, TV, stereo, AC that doesn't need the motor to run, etc. I just worry about people knocking on the door....
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
We had a trip planned for the end of August into BC Canada. Our wildest dreams happened, and the border opened up! We plan on crossing at Peace Arch. We're fully vaccinated and getting a test 2 days prior to the cross.

Has anyone had any experiences, tips or advice for crossing? We're pretty flexible on time and crossing points, has anyone tried farther east?

I've heard horror stories of being stuck for 7 hours at the border. Good thing we have a toilet, TV, stereo, AC that doesn't need the motor to run, etc. I just worry about people knocking on the door....
I’m in Bellingham and the 1st day they said the line was 6+ miles long for almost the entire day. I’m going to wait till mid September before I cross the line.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:34 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
May not want to wait too long ..... the way things are going over there again, i can see our Government closing the borders again. Being a dual citizen, i can go over anytime, just have to have a neg test to get back into Canada, but at this point, have no desire .... sorry, you guys jumped the gun on the no mask thing etc!
Old 08-12-2021, 05:21 AM   #4

Local news reported on Wednesday that traffic at the Western New York border crossings (Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Lewiston) has been moderate to light since Monday. I am somewhat surprised at that.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:35 AM   #5

The Canadian border services guards had work to rules campaign a week ago... No contract
That got settled...
So traffic should be back to more normal.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
May not want to wait too long ..... the way things are going over there again, i can see our Government closing the borders again.sorry, you guys jumped the gun on the no mask thing etc!
Agree with you 100%, we would love to escape this craziness as we’ll probably have it forever now.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:05 PM   #7

We are going to the Nigeria Falls September. Our trailer has been at the dealer this summer. We are retired and we don’t care how much time it takes. These are uncertain times so we will just wing it. We have our shots and masks. I don’t think this will ever pass so we are going to make the best of it. I refuse to hide in my basement! I have had cancer three times and two times it was cured. I have ling cancer and not going to worry about things. Life is short. We live in the most beautiful country in the world. We want to see it.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post

As you approcach the border, check for wait times at Peace Arch, the Truck Crossing (just east of PA), Alder Grove (SR 539) and Sumas (SR9). Sometimes the alternates will save you time.

Be sure to jump through all of the Canadian hoops before arriving at the border!

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...etermine-fully

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
We are going to the Nigeria Falls September. it.
I think a trip to Nigeria might require a plane flight, plus I'm not sure that country even has a falls. Regardless, I don't think the people over there like us too much.

As far as other posts are concerned, the Canadian Government has done soo much to discourage Americans from crossing the border I can say for sure 100% that I will never travel there again. I'll spend my hard earned tax dollars in the good ole' US of A.

If anyone wants to see Niagara Falls, one can get up even closer and more intimate on the New York Side, and there are many awesome campgrounds within a few minutes driving distance.

If you stay in NY you won't have to prove vaccination, nor have to have a swab stuck up your nose within 72 hours.

Today's News story indicated that the Canadian tourist areas have not suffered much because the locals have supported their home town businesses.

Canada used to be a nice place to go, but recent events have shown that they don't like us too much either.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 12:03 PM   #10

Honestly, I would stay away from B.C. at the moment. The forest fires are horrendous there.
kevysinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #11

Forgot about the fires! Wanted to do some fishing.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
Forgot about the fires! Wanted to do some fishing.
They are asking people to stay away from the Okanogan area, there are highways closed all over the place and communities all over the province are under evacuation order. Have a look at https://www.tranbc.ca/current-travel-advisories/

I know we are all desperate to get some travel in.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #13

Canada entry

My wife and I crossed into Canada on 18 Aug 2021 at the North Portal entrance. Crossed at 1730 no cars in front of me. Very pleasant experience had passport, vaccination card, and negative covid test results. Less than 5 minute process. We were in an SUV.
Bob-ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:42 PM   #14

Get the Arrivecan app for your phone...The Web-based ArriveCAN platform (accessed by signing in online at Canada.ca/ArriveCAN) is optimized to meet all Government of Canada accessibility requirements, including the use of text-to-voice technology.
tljwYaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #15

BC Masking Mandate

FYI, mask wearing in all indoor spaces is in effect as of today throughout BC. Anyone not inclined to want to follow this requirement is best not to visit at this time. (Polite Canadian version).
ParadiseFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I think a trip to Nigeria might require a plane flight, plus I'm not sure that country even has a falls. Regardless, I don't think the people over there like us too much.

As far as other posts are concerned, the Canadian Government has done soo much to discourage Americans from crossing the border I can say for sure 100% that I will never travel there again. I'll spend my hard earned tax dollars in the good ole' US of A.

If anyone wants to see Niagara Falls, one can get up even closer and more intimate on the New York Side, and there are many awesome campgrounds within a few minutes driving distance.

If you stay in NY you won't have to prove vaccination, nor have to have a swab stuck up your nose within 72 hours.

Today's News story indicated that the Canadian tourist areas have not suffered much because the locals have supported their home town businesses.

Canada used to be a nice place to go, but recent events have shown that they don't like us too much either.

I don’t normally respond to ignorant comments like this, but I’m going to make an exception here. FYI, it’s people with attitudes like yours that we “don’t like too much”. You can ask pretty much anyone and they’ll tell you that the Canadian side of the falls is far more scenic.

The Canadian tourist areas have suffered, though not insurmountable, mainly because, due to COVID, you couldn’t cross the border anyway. Even after reopening, many have opted to spend their money local.

I’m not sure what “recent events” you’re referring to, but as far as you not coming here again, though I don’t know you, that’s probably not a bad thing...
Old 08-26-2021, 07:05 AM   #17
Kmo

I honestly thought the Canadian Government ( even though I am not a Liberal) have done a good job to open the boarders, yes there are a few hoops to jump threw which I expect too see when the American Boarder opens, its just a imaginary line in the sand that we all have to deal with, sorry you feel this way about Canada.
Kmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cechardy View Post

I’m not sure what “recent events” you’re referring to, but as far as you not coming here again, though I don’t know you, that’s probably not a bad thing...
I have many Canadian friends and associates, and they are all wonderful people. My problem is with the Canadian liberal government.

Many, many Americans own cottages in Canada. We have several family members that have summered there since the 1940's. For a year and a half now Americans have not been able to cross over to take care of their properties. Their houses are lying dormant, subject to weather and vandals. NOW, to further put a stick in your eye, they are talking about adding extra taxes to properties owned by "foreigners".

With the recent border opening, my wife's family made their last trip to the family homestead, just to pick up heirlooms. They just sold it.

There are families with relatives close to the border on both sides and they haven't been able to see them for a year and a half. There are cases of husbands and wives separated, or Grandparents that haven't even seen a newborn grandchild.

Yes, i'm mad, and I don't care what anybody thinks about me. Way too many friends and family members have been seriously hurt by "recent events".
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I have many Canadian friends and associates, and they are all wonderful people. My problem is with the Canadian liberal government.

Many, many Americans own cottages in Canada. We have several family members that have summered there since the 1940's. For a year and a half now Americans have not been able to cross over to take care of their properties. Their houses are lying dormant, subject to weather and vandals. NOW, to further put a stick in your eye, they are talking about adding extra taxes to properties owned by "foreigners".

With the recent border opening, my wife's family made their last trip to the family homestead, just to pick up heirlooms. They just sold it.

There are families with relatives close to the border on both sides and they haven't been able to see them for a year and a half. There are cases of husbands and wives separated, or Grandparents that haven't even seen a newborn grandchild.

Yes, i'm mad, and I don't care what anybody thinks about me. Way too many friends and family members have been seriously hurt by "recent events".
It’s unfortunate that you, your family and friends have had a bad experience, however, so has the rest of the world.

We’re all in the same boat, and have to deal with it. Until people stop thinking about just themselves and put the conspiracy theories away (where they belong), go get vaccinated so we can create some herd immunity, this gong show isn’t going to change.

So, yes, be mad! You should be… but that won’t change anything until the collective “we” get our crap together and sort it out.
Cechardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:50 AM   #20

There are also a great many Canadians who own property in the states (think of all those snowbirds in AZ, TX, FL and CA), that have been unable to get to their winter homes as well. Luckily, some can fly, but many -- including those with animals cannot do so. The closure of the land border between the US & Canada has resulted in many families being unable to see each other for a long time -- on both sides. There are also lots of others with family in other countries, such as Europe, that haven't been able to fly into Canada or the states during Covid. Virtually every country has had to make tough decisions on border closures and how to open. The USA will get there, hopefully in the near future.
YKCAMOM2 is offline   Reply With Quote