Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #1

Canada / US Medicine Differences

This post is for the benefit of my fellow Canucks travelling South of the Border.

We cross into the States 4-6 times per year and each time we seem to learn a little bit more about the things we need to consider when travelling. We have now discovered on two different occasions that you cannot take for granted that medicines available over the counter at home can be purchased during your travels in the United States.

A few years back we were half way to our destination and I got a bad sinus infection, severe enough that it was impacting my ability to safely drive. My wife went into a neighbourhood drug store to pick up some Advil Cold and Sinus. She was unable to make the purchase because you had to provide State identification to buy drugs containing ephedrine. Apparently this is an attempt to curb Crystal Meth production, as ephedrine is a key ingredient. Luckily the clerk was able to recommend going to a larger chain store for assistance. We stopped by a Walgreens who was able to help, but my wife had to produce her Passport and it took about 30 minutes to complete the required documentation. When she did finally get the drugs and bring them aboard the RV... We couldn't help but joke about our cameo appearance on Breaking Bad.

Today was a new drug drama. I injured my back on our first full day in Maine. It is bad enough that I cannot stand or sit for more then a few minutes. My wife went to the local Rite Aid to pick up a simple bottle of Robaxecet or similar muscle relaxant. Once again, no luck, you need a perscription to purchase muscle relaxants down here. Fortunately, I did find a great chiropractor who was willing to help me out and will be treating me this week so I can safely drive home at the end of the week. Of course that will be out of pocket expenses as my relatively good insurance plan does not cover out of country Chiropractic.

So the lesson I would pass on... Travel South with a well stocked medicine chest. Even if you don't need it at the time of departure, have it with you just in case. My cabinet will always include pain relief, anti-inflammatorys, muscle relaxants and decongestant.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #2

You need to travel further south to our south of the border neighbor. You can get pretty much anything you need there. Of course it would be a lot longer drive.

Reset up and hope you get to feeling well quickly!

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #3

Agree many Canadian brands are not available in US or vice versa.

Interestingly, I've found some of my favorite meds in the US when I couldn't get familiar brands. I stock up on Delsym every fall to bring home; everyone who tries it loves it. A DM only cough medication, but very long lasting.

Also found some fantastic OTC creams for a badly tweaked neck while in Florida. Had me riding the roller coasters in no time.

I buy Prevacid in the US because it is OTC and much cheaper than the Rx version available in Canada (I don't have drug coverage).

I generally travel only with general analgesics (which I but at WalMart in the US for 50% or less than Canadian pricing), and rely on the pharmacists to suggest options for anything else that crops up.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:46 PM   #4

Homeopathic treatments

We did notice that Rite Aid offers a homeopathic treatment that is not available in our drug stores... Rigth now I am Self Medicating on Sam Adams Octoberfest! So far Sam has been far more effective then Aleve

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #5

As a retired Navy vet and that we are full timers now eight years. We too share similar stories. Between Chicago IL and Harlingen TX we transition between Tri Care regional coverage. Got to love the Veterans Administration. Simple healthcare is out of pocket or we must go to the emergency room to have our insurance cover it. I have dealt with this for several years now ad we too stock up prior to traveling.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Avoid doing drugs, legal or not legal. The alternative is better.......exercise and being active the whole day. "Live, Laugh And Love" no matter what sequence.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #7

Although, our beer is much cheaper

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote