Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #1

Ceramic heaters underneath?

Hitchhiking off an earlier post by Janet224 about cold weather camping:

For those of us who want to try really cold camping, has anyone ever put a couple of electric ceramic heaters underneath near the water piping to keep the pipes from freezing?

Just curious...

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
Site Team

On paper the concept looks like a possible solution, but in actual practice, I think no. A couple(?) of electric ceramic heaters? If you're heating your RV and running your refrigerator and HWT with propane, you might pull it off, but never if you're heating with a heat pump. Even if you managed to somehow make it work, You'll probably trip the breaker the first time you go to use a high-amperage appliance like a coffeemaker, hair dryer, toaster, electric skillet, etc. because the use of the the electric heaters in winter basically replaces the power consumption of the air conditioner when using it in the summer.

However, If you decide to implement your idea, I would ensure that whatever heater(s) you use is not marked "FOR INDOOR USE ONLY". Truthfully, I think most household electric heaters have this requirement.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #3

I would be to worried about starting a fire in the enclosed space with a heater
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Central Florida View Post

For those of us who want to try really cold camping, has anyone ever put a couple of electric ceramic heaters underneath near the water piping to keep the pipes from freezing?
Yes, we have..... but as in the other comments... extreme care must be taken to insure that you have a safe install, these small heaters easily tip over and can quickly cause a fire. It will work when your plumbing is in enclosed compartments, not out in the open or in compartments that are just closed with waterproof fabric on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
On paper the concept looks like a possible solution, but in actual practice, I think no. A couple(?) of electric ceramic heaters? If you're heating your RV and running your refrigerator and HWT with propane, you might pull it off, but never if you're heating with a heat pump. Even if you managed to somehow make it work, You'll probably trip the breaker the first time you go to use a high-amperage appliance like a coffeemaker, hair dryer, toaster, electric skillet, etc. because the use of the the electric heaters in winter basically replaces the power consumption of the air conditioner when using it in the summer.

However, If you decide to implement your idea, I would ensure that whatever heater(s) you use is not marked "FOR INDOOR USE ONLY". Truthfully, I think most household electric heaters have this requirement.
Excellent points - very true in those situations where the under carriage may not be insulated where the plumbing is run.

For rigs like our Seneca, all of our plumbing is in enclosed compartments / cavities where a source of electric heat can keep those enclosed spaces above freezing temperatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I would be to worried about starting a fire in the enclosed space with a heater
Yep... We took extra care to mount these heaters on a sheet metal foot - and the foot is mounted to the roof or wall of the compartment at the top of that compartment - aimed in a way to circulate the heat across the compartment that houses the plumbing. The heater can not tip over and cannot be knocked over. The heaters have thermostatic controls that only will run when the compartment falls below a set temperature, and shut off when the compartment is above a set temperature.

Does it work? Yes, we have camped for a few days where the overnight low was +5F.
Attached Thumbnails
20161231_145521.jpg   20171031_140538.jpg   20171031_140558.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #5

If you're going to put them underneath the camper to heat the underbelly you'd have to skirt the trailer. Don't plug them into the camper power supply, get a [2] heavy duty extension cords and run the heaters off the 20 amp pedestal outlets. It may be a little safer to use a couple of heat lamps, I don't know. Either way you'd have to protect the underneath from the elements so the heat will stay where you want it.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #6

I am not familiar you your camper, but I suspect it is a bumper pull. If it is, the only plumbing underneath is the tanks and waist lines. I personally would add dual voltage tank heaters, and maybe a small piece of heater tape wrapped around the waste line. I would also look at your low point FW drain is setup so it does not freeze.

If you have a basement like most fvrs or MHs, that have piping in them, adding additional electric heat can be done easily, but I would also strongly consider safety as you do it. If I was doing it, I would set it up to use a separate set of outlets that can be connected to your generator or directly to shore power, so I did not overload my 30 amp panel, and trip the breakers.

You can also consider using good old fashion incandescent light bulbs too. Something like 0.5 to 1 percent of the energy they use makes light, the rest is just heat. That is how a lot of people in the past have done in it. Again make sure to use safety covers, and keep things clear of them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #7

I installed heat tape in my MH for all plumbing, looks like an extension cord. Worked for me down to -10F and uses less power than a heater.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
….
You can also consider using good old fashion incandescent light bulbs too. Something like 0.5 to 1 percent of the energy they use makes light, the rest is just heat. That is how a lot of people in the past have done in it. Again make sure to use safety covers, and keep things clear of them.
What Jagiven said. The light bulb will do the trick in an enclosed area.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #9

I’ve seen alot of damage to property, and unfortunatley people, from space heaters and improvised heating methods. RVs are notorious for quick fire spread due to lightweight materials, glues, and unimpeded flow paths. NEVER use these heating methods unsupervised. It only takes one time for “I’ve done it this way for a long time” to bite you. BE SAFE.

Fyrehuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #10

Thanks! All excellent points to be considered. I’ve printed this thread and will put it in my onboard notebook. Great thing, this forum. Thanks, again!

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:29 PM   #11

So I have a 22ft bumper pull. Currently camping in taos ski valley with no hookups. I have had a 0 Deg night so far and have a forecasted -5deg for tonight. Prior to departing on this trip I added tank pad heaters, drain pipe heating pads, drain valve heat strips, and a fresh water supply line heat strip with insulation wrap around it. All of these "heaters" are 12v, switched, and thermostatically controlled except for the valve strips. Also during this install I upgraded the power center to a Pd4060 to handle more circuits and charge faster. I am able to run the fresh water tank and supply overnight on the batteries and then run all of the tanks while on generator. Nothing has frozen during the day or night. A ceramic heater in my underbelly would not work nor would it run off battery.

I am not using any skirting. All heating supplies were purchased directly the manufacturer Ultra Heat.
rbreding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
So I have a 22ft bumper pull. Currently camping in taos ski valley with no hookups. I have had a 0 Deg night so far and have a forecasted -5deg for tonight. Prior to departing on this trip I added tank pad heaters, drain pipe heating pads, drain valve heat strips, and a fresh water supply line heat strip with insulation wrap around it. All of these "heaters" are 12v, switched, and thermostatically controlled except for the valve strips. Also during this install I upgraded the power center to a Pd4060 to handle more circuits and charge faster. I am able to run the fresh water tank and supply overnight on the batteries and then run all of the tanks while on generator. Nothing has frozen during the day or night. A ceramic heater in my underbelly would not work nor would it run off battery.

I am not using any skirting. All heating supplies were purchased directly the manufacturer Ultra Heat.
I wish you luck at -5 tonight... How many AH of capacity do your batteries have?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 01:12 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Ceramic heaters are a fantastic choice for efficient and effective heating solutions. Their ceramic elements heat up quickly and distribute warmth evenly, providing comfort in a timely manner. Moreover, they are often compact and portable, making them convenient for various spaces. Additionally, ceramic heaters are known for their safety features, including cool-touch exteriors and automatic shut-off mechanisms, offering peace of mind while in use. Overall, ceramic heaters are a reliable option for keeping cozy during chilly days and nights.
Chris667788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:12 AM   #14

I went the 12V route in the water closet with a thermostat and small heater. Works great at keeping the temperature above freezing in the coldest of temperatures here in the great white north. While travelling the battery is being charged, but would be reluctant to use without shore power at night as the battery drain would be too much.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20240322_140030773.jpg   PXL_20240322_140054947.jpg  
Riptorn is offline   Reply With Quote