Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #1

Class A or Class C

Hello All,

My first post here on the forum. I have read a lot on many different topics and I am very impressed with the responses people openly and respectfully give and I am hoping for some advice. I am in the process of making my final decision on a new motorhome (our first). My wife and I have narrowed it down to two that we like (and can afford). One is the 2021 Alante 31V Class A and the other is the 2021 Greyhawk 29MV Class C. We have put a downpayment on the 29MV for now but will move it to the 31V if we decide to go in that direction. Both are similar in total length and floorplan, motor, etc. except of course the driving area (and storage area). I am leaning towards the 29MV and my wife the 31V. I like that fact that the Greyhawk has the J-Ride Plus as opposed to just the J-Ride in the 31V which I interpret as less suspension modifications that I will want to do. While she likes the 29MV layout her biggest hang up is that she says she feels crowed in the passenger seat. When I sit there I don't feel it is bad at all and seem to have ample leg room. She is not a big person and has short legs so her feeling crowded confuses me. The Alante of course has tons of room in the passenger seat and swiveling them around is easier so I can understand why she would prefer it. Having the seats at the same level as the rest of the MH would also provide additional convenient seating but with the cost delta over $10K I am not convinced it is worth it. I do like the fact that the 31V has tons more storage, I am just not sure that it is fully needed for the price difference. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Searching the internet and the forum I have found more negative reviews on the 31V but I have not found enough to consider it a good sampling. Also I recognize that you are more likely to see negative reviews as those that have positive experiences are less likely to post on it.

I would appreciate any other feedback anyone wants to offer that I may want to consider before deciding which to go with! What other pros and cons would be involved in a decision between a Class A and C?

Thanks!!!

Tim
Montague, Michigan
TravelinTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Regarding the passenger seating in the Greyhawk, that was a BIG concern of mine, with the E450 chassis. I kept asking my wife, and had her sit repeatedly in the seat, to make sure there's enough leg room. She's medium size. I wanted to make sure she wouldn't feel cramped before we made our decision to buy.

Even now, after multiple longer trips, I still ask her, and she keeps telling me the space is absolutely fine... she doesn't feel cramped in. Plus, she says, I can get up and stretch my legs any time I want, so there's no issue.

Regarding storage, we have a shorter rig, with a bit less storage than what you're considering, and my wife still hasn't managed to fill it up....yet...

Regarding suspension upgrades.. you are definitely going to want them. I have regular JRide, and had to upgrade both sway bars and steering stabilizer to make the rig ride a lot better. The JRide Plus has the upgraded rear bar.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #3

RetiredOne, Thanks for the quick response. I have not heard or read much in the way of complaining that the passenger seat is cramped. This seems supported by how you wife has responded to your inquiries. I suppose that if the passenger was a very large person it might start to seems so but that is not the case here.

We are meeting with the dealer again tomorrow to take both rigs for a ride. We'll see if she gets a sense that it's not as bad as her first impression or if the Class A will win out. I may be wrong but it's my perception that driving the Greyhawk would be less stressful. I don't know if this is accurate or not.

In the back of my mind I have this thought that the Alante models are more or less the bottom of Jayco's Class A line where the Greyhawk is a step up in their Class C's. This might be just perceived quality improvement and it may not be a good analogy. The build quality inside and out by appearance seem the same in both. There certainly is a lot to learn here! To make the decision even harder I have read on this forum that the new F53 chassis V8 engine has encountered issues with failing spark plug wires. I find it odd that this is the only place I have been able read about this. There may be others places but I have not found them. My dealer has said they have not had even one issue with the wires. Still it is stuck in my head so it will likely try to work its way into my decision.

Thanks again for your comments!
Old 09-15-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

I'll make a remark about quality. Visually, these rigs look nice, but many will tell you here, expect mechanical issues, as the quality control on manufacturing can be lacking. This is our first motor home too, and I expected at least a average level of quality and few problems. I went in thinking I'd be fixing a bunch of stuff, and I ended up being right. If you go in with that mindset, then the two of you won't be disappointed when stuff breaks.

It appears that the new Greyhawk has the V8 engine. From what I've read, there been issues with the motors, and replacement parts are really tough to find. I, for one, am never one to buy a first year product like a motor, because I know the "bugs" need to be worked out. I have have the V10 in my rig.

Before we bought, we looked at everything from trailers up to Class A buses. It wasn't a price consideration, but a function consideration. We knew how we wanted to travel, then did the Pro/Con list for each rig. Since it's just the two of us (and the pup) and we like to play tourist, we decided to go for the short Class C, so I could get in and park it at most tourist locations. I can get this rig into just about everywhere.

We aren't the type to park in one campground all week. Many times we jump from campground to campground the next night after sightseeing during the day. The shorter rig has been perfect for us.

Overall, I'm happy with the Class C, after doing all the upgrades that I wanted. My rig hasn't been back to the dealer since I bought it. I pounded them on price, knowing I was going to fix all the issues myself, and built myself a "repair cushion" with the discount I saved.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:48 PM   #5

I agree 100%. I am definitely expecting to have to fix things and as long as it does not set me back financially I don't mind doing it. I am a retiring engineer so fixing problems fits into the type of things I like to do. I found a detailed pre-acceptance checklist on the internet that I intend to use. I am hoping that this will allow me to catch the obvious and from spending every bit of my free time making repairs. It should also keep me from returning to the dealer for minor things I can have them fix before I pick it up. I'm nearly 70 miles away so the less trips there the better. Any other issues I will have to address as we travel.

I understand your comment on the new engine but unfortunately if anyone wants a new gas motorhome now the V8 is the only option. I trust Ford for the most part that they did adequate testing and the 6 year power train warranty should help level out any start up issues. There is a lot at stake for Ford if they rushed out an engine with problems to replace a version that dominates the market. We'll see. So far I have only heard of issues in the F53 chassis. This is part of the reason that am leaning towards the Greyhawk. I have already set aside funding for the suspension upgrades regardless of where we land.

Thanks again!
Old 09-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by timross View Post
I agree 100%. I am definitely expecting to have to fix things and as long as it does not set me back financially I don't mind doing it. I am a retiring engineer so fixing problems fits into the type of things I like to do.
Ha... I feel your pain , I'm an engineer too, and apparently taking out the tools and fixing stuff just runs normally in our veins... I don't mind fixing the warranty stuff, it just gives me more experience with the systems in the rig. Plus, I've done a bunch of add-on things, just for personal preference.

I found out, you don't buy an RV to save money... It's kinda like a boat (that I don't own anymore)

Quote:
I found a detailed pre-acceptance checklist on the internet that I intend to use. I am hoping that this will allow me to catch the obvious and from spending every bit of my free time making repairs. It should also keep me from returning to the dealer for minor things I can have them fix before I pick it up. I'm nearly 70 miles away so the less trips there the better.
That list should help, to test and check everything before it leaves the dealer. Being this is our first RV and motor home, I didn't know what I didn't know when doing the PDI, but being mechanically inclined, I knew I could figure it out later.

My dealer is over an hour away too, so I knew I wouldn't be taking it back. It would mean 4 hours at minimum for two trips back and forth, so if I can fix the problem in less time, I do it myself.

Unfortunately, some problem won't show up until you actually use the rig, so it is what it is. Just go in with this mindset, and you won't get upset when it happens.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #7

My one question to add is: have you driven both yet? While they may be the same size, I would make sure you like how both handle.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
eow

You may want to research if both the C and A class MHs are required to meet the same motor vehicle safety standards.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #9

Tomorrow I am expecting to drive both. I will definitely be comparing the two experiences. I will post back on the difference!
Old 09-16-2020, 07:04 AM   #10

Cindy and I went with the 24B (same as RetiredOne). We both felt somewhat intimidated by the Class A. Also I'm not sure about the Class A and NTSB safety requirements. I do know that our 24B does. Concerning comfort for the passenger, my wife is 5' or so and I am 5'9". I weigh in at 180-190lbs so neither of us are big individuals. The space in the cockpit is fine for us. Good luck with which ever you and your wife choose to purchase!
libslowmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by libslowmo1 View Post
Cindy and I went with the 24B (same as RetiredOne). We both felt somewhat intimidated by the Class A. Also I'm not sure about the Class A and NTSB safety requirements. I do know that our 24B does. Concerning comfort for the passenger, my wife is 5' or so and I am 5'9". I weigh in at 180-190lbs so neither of us are big individuals. The space in the cockpit is fine for us. Good luck with which ever you and your wife choose to purchase!
Thanks for the response. I too feel intimidated by the Class A and the safety issues is one of several reasons I am leaning towards the 29MV. Like yours my wife is also 5' so I am thinking should would not have an issue with comfort nor would I at 5'9". I will have a better sense of what I am comfortable with after the test drives this evening!

Tim
Old 09-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #12

For full time RV the class A would be best. But I own and Entegra Odyssey 30Z class C and the reason I purchased that was due to servicing. The Class C is easier to get to the engine compartment and many dealerships will help with servicing. Note that Camping World does not service the engines as I found out. Also I would try to go to an RV show where you can see the options and setups.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #13

I think that what entices both the wife and I regarding the Class A's in the room, of course, but for me the additional storage capacity as well. That said, we never plan to be full timers so I think what we have is more than adequate. We did go and look at a Super C, which is kind of a compromise, but my wife soon realized that we don't get a whole lot more over what we have, so why bother to trade up. Maybe one of these days when a long lost relative in Europe kicks the bucket and wills me a castle and estate...
Old 09-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey55 View Post
For full time RV the class A would be best. But I own and Entegra Odyssey 30Z class C and the reason I purchased that was due to servicing. The Class C is easier to get to the engine compartment and many dealerships will help with servicing. Note that Camping World does not service the engines as I found out. Also I would try to go to an RV show where you can see the options and setups.
This is something I have not thought of. Good to know!
Old 09-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
I think that what entices both the wife and I regarding the Class A's in the room, of course, but for me the additional storage capacity as well. That said, we never plan to be full timers so I think what we have is more than adequate. We did go and look at a Super C, which is kind of a compromise, but my wife soon realized that we don't get a whole lot more over what we have, so why bother to trade up. Maybe one of these days when a long lost relative in Europe kicks the bucket and wills me a castle and estate...
Yeah! I'm still waiting for the estate! Wishful thinking anyway! It would be nice though!
Old 09-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #16

I was able to test drive both the 31V and the 29MV this evening. I drove the exact same route for both drives. I have to say I think the 29MV handled considerably better than the 31V. The 31V seemed to float and sway much more than I felt comfortable with and I didn't really care for the open feeling in front. It made me feel like I was riding on the front bumper. I may have gotten over that feeling but the comfortable feeling in the 29MV was nice. My wife sat in the passenger seat in both test runs and did admit that her original concerns with the crowded feeling in the 29MV were unfounded. One thing I was sure to do was to lift the bunk cutout that covers the cockpit. I think this had a lot to do with her feeling that the the area was too crowded. Originally when she first sat in the seat the bunk cutout was in place. Folding it back makes a big difference in the openness in the cab area.

So the test ride along with other factors like safety, J-Ride Plus, and what I perceived as a more comfortable ride in the drivers seat helped seal the deal for the Class C. The down payment is in place and hope to pick it up on the 28th.

Thanks for all the comments. They were very much appreciated!!!
Old 09-16-2020, 08:12 PM   #17
Lost in the Woods

I agree with you about having the nose of the E450 out in front. I gives me a bit of a safety feeling, knowing that would take the front impact before we do.

We also always travel with the upper bunk cutout open and folded back. Definitely helps with eliminating the closed in feeling, and a lot easier to get up to go to the rear.

Good luck, and don't forget your inspection checklist when you pick it up.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I agree with you about having the nose of the E450 out in front. I gives me a bit of a safety feeling, knowing that would take the front impact before we do.

We also always travel with the upper bunk cutout open and folded back. Definitely helps with eliminating the closed in feeling, and a lot easier to get up to go to the rear.

Good luck, and don't forget your inspection checklist when you pick it up.
Definitely on the checklist, I have it printed out already. Between now and then I will surf the forum to learn as much as I can about the different MH systems. Since this is all new to me I have a lot to digest.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-16-2020, 09:08 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Definitely on the checklist, I have it printed out already. Between now and then I will surf the forum to learn as much as I can about the different MH systems. Since this is all new to me I have a lot to digest.

Thanks!!!
The checklist is a great idea. Now that you've looked at it and drove it, now is a great time to look it over one more time before signing papers and taking her home. This time look closely at everything, inside and out, specifically looking for any imperfections in fit and finish, things missing, or that may need repairing or replacing. If you do run across anything, have the dealer fix them before you leave with it if possible. And if it's not possible, get them documented for the future. Our second look revealed four very minor issues, and they took care of three of them, The last item was a decal that needed to be replaced, and that had to be ordered.

Congratulations, and happy trails!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #20

Quote:

Thanks!!!

Tim,

Don't let the tech rush you through the walk through. If your wife is with you when you pick it up, it would be good for both of you to take notes as there's a lot to familiarize yourself with. (Could even video with the phone on certain things if you'd like.) My tech was kind enough to mention all of the screens fro the furnace, fridge, etc. that keeps out the wasps and others from getting in and building nests when you store the unit.

I joined this board and found it to be invaluable in terms of the info that people share. I wasn't smart enough when I first bought mine to ask about a few things, such as slider toppers.

Truly hope you enjoy your new ride as much as my family does ours.