Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2021, 08:44 PM   #1

Electric Issues

2019 336FBOK on shore power.

Fridge stopped working. A little bit later it came back on. Quit working again. Came back on. Did this continuously, never off long enough for things inside to warm up. I was worried it was the fridge, but I got underneath the counter and unplugged it, plugged in a hair dryer and it did not work either, so it's something electrical. Breaker is fine, GFI is fine, none of the other outlets on the same circuit have any issues (circuit also serves kitchen outlets and the bathroom). Fridge is on a slide out. Under the counter on the slide out, three black flexible wires come from underneath into a junction box where they connect to three nomex wires before going to their destination. Of the three wires, one is to the microwave (on it's own breaker), one is the fridge, and the other is to an outlet which is on the same breaker as the fridge. I have established that when I turn the breaker on, the outlet works for about nine seconds before losing power. I've read about self contained outlets failing so I replaced the outlet. Didn't help. Again, no other outlets on the circuit are affected and the breaker does not trip, isn't getting hot, seems fine. No other electrical issues in the camper. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
mcdillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #2

I assume this is a residential fridge? Could it be inverter related??? Just throwing something out there. Since a residential fridge is on an inverter circuit is it possible the inverter is intermittently loosing shore power connection and kicking in to power the fridge? Therefore the cutout? Just a thought????
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:31 AM   #3

Check the wiring going in to and out of the Inverter. They are push in connections and several people have found loose wires.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar57 View Post
I assume this is a residential fridge? Could it be inverter related??? Just throwing something out there. Since a residential fridge is on an inverter circuit is it possible the inverter is intermittently loosing shore power connection and kicking in to power the fridge? Therefore the cutout? Just a thought????
Thanks for the reply. It is a residential fridge. I have a Xantrex Freedom X Sine Wave Inverter, and the way I understand it is if I have the power button up (not depressed), the inverter will not kick in, and that's how I've been operating. I do still wonder if the inverter has something to do with it. Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Check the wiring going in to and out of the Inverter. They are push in connections and several people have found loose wires.
I will check that out. The trailer hasn't moved in a while so I'm not sure what would cause anything to come loose, but stranger things have happened. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdillio View Post
Thanks for the reply. It is a residential fridge. I have a Xantrex Freedom X Sine Wave Inverter, and the way I understand it is if I have the power button up (not depressed), the inverter will not kick in, and that's how I've been operating. I do still wonder if the inverter has something to do with it. Thanks again.
My inverter has a remote location in the bedroom in addition to the base unit in the pass through. Both buttons have to be off to turn the inverter off but only takes one button to turn it on.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote