Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2022, 04:43 PM   #1

Electrical problems

Has anyone had an issuer with their power plug. We now have to plug in the power cord 5 or 6 times before it will click over to outside power once parked. 30 or 50 amp, it doesn’t really matter. The fridge will not click over to AC and jumps to LP.
Frank1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1960 View Post
Has anyone had an issuer with their power plug. We now have to plug in the power cord 5 or 6 times before it will click over to outside power once parked. 30 or 50 amp, it doesn’t really matter. The fridge will not click over to AC and jumps to LP.
If it happens in different campgrounds, that eliminates the campground pedestal. If wiggling the cord when plugging in eventually works, my guess would be the cord or cord connections at either end. This is when an EMS is really handy.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:01 PM   #3

If it were me I would first check the tightness of all connections inside your transfer switch. This is done WITH NO POWER APPLIED. Then, if you are comfortable measuring 120 volts with a volt meter, place the meter leads across the input wires from the power cord inside the transfer switch. This will measure the power coming in from your power cord.

If you plug in and there is no voltage showing on the meter, the problem is with your power cord be it in the cord or the prong connections. If the voltage is measured at the input of the transfer switch but the switch doesn't switch over, the problem most likely is the transfer switch.

You mentioned it happens on either 30 amp or 50 amp. Do you have 50 amp service and using a 30 amp adapter or do you have 30 amp service and using a 50 amp adapter? Just curious. It doesn't really make a big difference as the adapter is just basically tying connections together for input.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:22 PM   #4

Question, what do you have for a camper? Do you have a built-in generator or generator prep? They are known for loose connections at the transfer switch.

Are you always using the same cord? With or without an adaptor?

My suspicion is a bad connection at the between the cord and plug. This can be checked with a multimeter. The retries, are just getting a good enough connection. If I am right, you may have major issues down the road of not repaired.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:58 PM   #5

I tightened up every connection I could find. A couple of loose wires on the breaker panel, one broken off. Also loose 12v connections behind the disconnect switch.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:28 PM   #6

I always ensure my power plug end terminals (camper plug to camp pedestal) are clean and shinny. "sand" all around with emery paper.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote